Archery tags , dmps , regular gun season , ml season

turkeyfeathers

First archery season for me. Confused on what tags I get for all the seasons. 

I get either sex archery- ml tag   So I can hunt oct 1 and shoot a buck with above tag / or doe. But can use dmp for doe and save tag for ml if inclined for buck  

Another wonk is I’ve always applied for dmps for hard to get areas before archery even starts. Now it sounds like I should get ASAP for the give like candy areas ( here ) before the guaranteed leftover nov 1 second round of tags to save my either sex for a buck in archery and or ml 

head spinning ! 

Edited by turkeyfeathers

Bow and ML you will get an either/or and an antlerless tag (2 deer).  These can be used anytime in either season.  Then you have regular antlered tag (which also can be used in ML if not used in regular season).  Then you have DMPs which can be used in any season.  I will typically use a DMP or 2 in bow since they are WMU specific and save the antlerless bow/ML tag in the event I hunt outside of 8H.  Then I use the antlerless tag outside of 8H or in ML if I still have it.  The other 2 DMPs are available for regular season or ML.  That said, I always get 4 DMPs which means a total of 7 tags without any consignments.

• Like 3

what Moog said.  I'll add in something else. Us lesser hunters that don't get more than (1) DMP for the area we hunt do it a little differently.  we use the one antlerless only bow/muzzleloader tag first, versus the DMP. that way you're not forced to pass doe all during regular season while you have a bow/ml antlerless tag sitting in your pocket. either sex or buck tags are always saved to hunt a buck through all seasons.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

what Moog said.  I'll add in something else. Us lesser hunters that don't get more than (1) DMP for the area we hunt do it a little differently.  we use the one antlerless only bow/muzzleloader tag first, versus the DMP. that way you're not forced to pass doe all during regular season while you have a bow/ml antlerless tag sitting in your pocket. either sex or buck tags are always saved to hunt a buck through all seasons.

This makes sense if you don't get a guaranteed 4 DMPs.  Here they are readily available.  I have only filled all seven tags once in a season and later decided it was too much.  I guess I was a bit blood thirsty that season.  Have stuck to no more than 5 since and may even cut back a bit more.  Then again, we do have the contest pending.  lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

So by adding archery to archery/ Ml privilege I get an extra antlertess tag   To be used for archery only ( or ml too ) ? Everything else stays the same ? 

Whos on first ? I don’t know who’s on second 

Yes - by adding archery and ML, you get two tags which can be used in either season.  One is either/or and the other is antlerless.

10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I got this now ..... I think   

To confuse you more, I think if you only add bow you still get both tags, but you cannot hunt that last week of ML - that is a privilege that you have to pay an extra $10 for.  But the number of tags are the same.

Just keeping saying yes to every option.  It will cost around $95 (or did that include my fishing license, hmm).

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

To confuse you more, I think if you only add bow you still get both tags, but you cannot hunt that last week of ML - that is a privilege that you have to pay an extra $10 for.  But the number of tags are the same

No. 

The first special privilege you buy gets you an either sex. The second special privilege you buy gets you an antlerless only.   If you bought them a week apart that is how they would be doled out. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

No. 

The first special privilege you buy gets you an either sex. The second special privilege you buy gets you an antlerless only.   If you bought them a week apart that is how they would be doled out. 

I stand corrected.  Thanks Bob.  I never really paid attention as I just keep saying yes as they ask about privileges.

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I stand corrected.  Thanks Bob.  I never really paid attention as I just keep saying yes as they ask about privileges.

Only reason I know for sure is I bought them that way one year. Thought I bought it all and then the price was low. The guy doing it was a dope at Dick's and I didn't have the patience to go thorough it again so I waited. 

My hunting buddy and I always play a game as to which tag goes where.  He tells me he is going to shoot a deer then call me and ask what tag to use.  I have to use some strategery as I hunt three different DMPs so have to plan accordingly.  But plan those doe permits out for applying and go from there.  You will always have a doe/buck tag and a doe tag for archery anyway.  

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

This makes sense if you don't get a guaranteed 4 DMPs.  Here they are readily available.  I have only filled all seven tags once in a season and later decided it was too much.  I guess I was a bit blood thirsty that season.  Have stuck to no more than 5 since and may even cut back a bit more.  Then again, we do have the contest pending.  lol

honestly i usually hold back and not fill the tags i could here in 4C. if i filled all my tags in WMU 4C near home i'd be called an SOB and would have people throwing bricks through my windows. DEC's goal for here is 3.2 doe per square mile. i did receive a dmp for here though and i don't even think an act of God would prevent it from getting filled.  at 20% success rate here no way am i letting it go to waste. for the contest i made my 2nd choice 4J (city of Albany) just to ensure i would even have 4 total tags to begin with. that'll be a bit more difficult as it's extremely limited access, bow only, and probably stuck hunting the only one piece of public land there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

First archery season for me. Confused on what tags I get for all the seasons. 

I get either sex archery- ml tag   So I can hunt oct 1 and shoot a buck with above tag / or doe. But can use dmp for doe and save tag for ml if inclined for buck  

Another wonk is I’ve always applied for dmps for hard to get areas before archery even starts. Now it sounds like I should get ASAP for the give like candy areas ( here ) before the guaranteed leftover nov 1 second round of tags to save my either sex for a buck in archery and or ml 

head spinning ! 

buy your muzzelloader tag it will give you a doe tag valid anywhere you can use during archery.. then save your dmp for gun season

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

not used to burning first choice dmps to be local when they’re candy around here Nov 1 and get them easy.  Life is too complicated lol 

you still apply for hard area 1st then second tag high local area.. i always get second for lancaster though i never hunt there.. mom would be yelling out back door for me to open a jar or something for her..

This is as easy to figure out as a.... 176 yard shot to the pin, downhill lie feet slightly above the ball.

Do you play an extra club and swing easy with a high fade or go aggressive with one less and hope the ball comes of straight?

Personally I’d go one extra and play the high fade. At least the ball will land soft if you miss the green by a hair.

Wait what where we talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1