New Mexico Elk Hunt

GR HUNTER

nice bull!!

a guy i know just came back from a colorado elk hunt. Said they had like 16 inches of heavy snow and it made it tough to hike.  Also really windy and they had issues with trees snapping from the heavy wind and snow.  One night they stayed up all night in spike camp cause trees were crashing around them and one clipped the food tent.  Didnt get a shot at all.  

beautiful place and looked like a great time and memory made.  

Did run into some Merriam turkeys. Pretty cool birds. My guide told me guys head up that way to complete their turkey slams so I'm guess there is a decent population to hunt. Weather was great. 35's in the morning and would warm up to low to mid fifties. Actually told they don't get much snow up that way. 

4 minutes ago, GR HUNTER said:

Did run into some Merriam turkeys. Pretty cool birds. My guide told me guys head up that way to complete their turkey slams so I'm guess there is a decent population to hunt. Weather was great. 35's in the morning and would warm up to low to mid fifties. Actually told they don't get much snow up that way. 

Good to hear; ran into birds daily, but that was a few years ago when I was there, and things can change.

Little ski area just outside village of Cloudcroft, but the winter weather pattern generally doesn't give them snow in big amounts.

Its not snow capped rocky peaks and mountain vistas; but I like that rolling pine country and high desert of that region. Looked into buying property there, but not enough work in area for me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By huntershoists
      Are you an outdoorsman? Do you hunt frequently? Do you experience the struggles of lifting your deer, elk, bear, or other kill onto your truck, ATV, or Gator? We’d like to interest you in our hunting hoist. My sons and I also had these problems. I created a solution with my portable hoist system. Our simple to use design allows flexibility to your hunt that other hoists can’t compare to. Simply attach our hoist to a tree, tie up the feet, crank the line, and you’re on your way! Check out what other customers had to say at http://huntersportablehoist.webs.com/testimonials where you can also find easy to view tutorials. For more information, please contact me, James Owen, at [email protected].
    • By shanescottoutfitting
      I am new to the site but have had the good fortune of hunting here in the West with NY residents.  I have enjoyed my time in the field with them and look forward to being of any assistance to anyone else on the east coast interested in coming out west.  Hopefully I can make a trip east to get a whitetail someday.
      I look forward to visiting about hunting.
      Shane Scott
    • By shanescottoutfitting
      Just wanted to let everybody know that Utah's big game drawing opens on January 28, 2016. Utah is still affordable to put in and acquire points for all of the species Utah offers. The license to put in is $65. Each species application is $10 and they only charge you if you draw out. Don't miss out on a great year ahead. The hunt dates for our rifle elk hunts will be in the rut Sept 17-25. The general rifle deer hunt will be Oct 22-30 which will make the last 5 days perfect for some pre rut deer hunting. Our elk and deer hunting is as good as it has ever been! Best of luck to everyone who comes west. I will be glad to help anybody coming to Utah trying to find a hunt to meet their needs. There is plenty of over the counter hunts available also.
      Shane Scott
      shanescottoutfitting.com

• By stevenjackson
      This is one of the coolest hunting vids I've seen in awhile. Felt like a movie but clearly real life! cheers

http://huntervids.com/videos/ambush-montana-wild/