Hunter harassment

Northcountryman

In case anyone is interested, here is the relevant NY statute: 

NY -Environmental Conservation Law  11-0103

11-0110. Interference with lawful taking of wildlife prohibited.
1. As used in this section "wildlife" means wild game and all other
animal life existing in a wild state, including fish, shellfish and
crustacea, and "process of taking", in addition to any act described in
subdivision thirteen of section 11-0103 of this article, includes
travel, camping, and other acts preparatory to taking, which occur on
lands or waters upon which the affected person has the right or
privilege to take such wildlife.
2. A person is guilty of interfering with the lawful taking of
wildlife when, with intent to prevent the taking of wildlife, in season,
in a place where hunting, fishing or trapping is lawful, and by a person
properly licensed to take such wildlife, he:
(a) strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects the licensed person
to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or
(b) follows the licensed person in or about such place and engages in
a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously
annoy such licensed person and which serve no legitimate purpose.
Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, no one
shall be arrested for violation of this section by other than a duly
designated peace officer acting pursuant to his special duties, or a
police officer.

I hunted next to a lady that would harass me if she drove past me while I was hunting.  Her driveway went up the hillside where I came into view.  She would do everything from beep her horn or drive her side by side up and down the property line.  The PA Game Commission took care of it for me.  Never had another issue.

• Like 1

I hunted next to a lady that would harass me if she drove past me while I was hunting.  Her driveway went up the hillside where I came into view.  She would do everything from beep her horn or drive her side by side up and down the property line.  The PA Game Commission took care of it for me.  Never had another issue.
Was your neighbor GrowaLot?

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

• Confused 1

I had one woman for two years follow me out to my stand on property I had permission to hunt, screaming and hollering that i couldn't be here. The first year she called the sheriff every time I went in and always had to show my license to them when I came out until  she had cycled through about every deputy there was. They basically came every time she called (said they had to) but by the end of the season they just waved at me or if I was walking out they would chat a bit.  At the end of that season she got in my face and we had a very loud chat and believe it or not I think I used a few words she hadn't heard before...lol.  The next year (after the Hunter harassment law went into effect) she picked right up on opening evening where she left off. and I got out of the stand after videoing her and handed her a print out of the law. I said I was giving her one chance to disappear or the sheriff would be at her house. We've never seen her again. 

• Like 4

You guys should enjoy this . Now going from memory, an older guy was duck hunting on Sodus Bay ( a Bay ringed with homes ,restaurants, marinas ) from a small boat , near a marina . A couple of guys thought he , I guess couldn’t do that , so they called the cops , in the meantime they circled him on their jet skis , rocking him and spraying him with water .

Hunter had enough and heads in, just as DEC cop shows up. Jet ski dudes tell him their story , and promptly get arrested . Love it when they call the cops on themselves !

Stroy was on the news a few years back, jet ski guys were like 45 Y/O and one was from Webster ( my town ) .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Only issue I had was another hunter i got permission to hunt a piece of land it was owned by someone that didnt live in the area and was told me and a buddy should be the only ones hunting well...there were several guys with out permission hunting and they got the boot... land owner didnt want any one charged.. i had stands stole posted signs ripped down  guys blowing car horns and etc... was a pain stopped hunting it after a few years.

44 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

You guys should enjoy this . Now going from memory, an older guy was duck hunting on Sodus Bay ( a Bay ringed with homes ,restaurants, marinas ) from a small boat , near a marina . A couple of guys thought he , I guess couldn’t do that , so they called the cops , in the meantime they circled him on their jet skis , rocking him and spraying him with water .

Hunter had enough and heads in, just as DEC cop shows up. Jet ski dudes tell him their story , and promptly get arrested . Love it when they call the cops on themselves !

Stroy was on the news a few years back, jet ski guys were like 45 Y/O and one was from Webster ( my town ) .

I am sure you will know this area and many guys from the area. The warm water outflow from the old coal burning plant Russell Station. Wonderful place to catch trout in the claws of winter. Also a magnet for ducks. Only down side is that in the town of Greece they don't allow firearms hunting in that area.  Well lit turns out that the town line goes to some water line of Lake Ontario and doesn't extend into the Lake. We confirmed this with DEC. So for the late duck season we were set up in an anchored canoe on the Lake and not in the Town of Greece. Well it also turns out that there were folks set up in the public parking area that were there  for the ducks too, but they were there to watch them not eat them. Well the called the LEO's and they came and called us to shore. We explained the situation and they didn't agree. They called DEC and an very nice officer came out and explained to them the errors of their ways. We limited out. 

• Like 5

Used to put a frog on a hook and send him out into the lake, caught many Bass there that way .

Now that reminds me , guy from work was bowfishing that but on the other side of the road along the golf course . Some A hole golfer took offense to that I guess and started driving golf balls at him ! 

I gotta tell you I’d have called the cops and pressed charges on that one . 

• Like 2

Had a douchebag come out on his lawn on Oneida lake and start shooting his shotgun in the air Everytime a duck came into sight to scare it off. He claimed we were ruining the hunting he had planned for the weekend. Threatened to call the DEC which I told him was welcomed and we'd still be right there waiting. He eventually got tired of it and went back inside. I got even with that guy...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Had the lady who owns the land next door put fabric softener sheets loaded with perfume up and down the property line one year. 

Poetic justice-she went bankrupt, the land was sold and we have been leasing it for the last 10 years! She has to hear and watch us go hunting out her back window!!

Will

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Any one ever have trouble with people harassing them while hunting, scouting, etc? I was bored the other day and googled this topic and some stuff came up from a few years ago in Minnesota where a landowner who was vehemently antihunting employed tactics like blowing her horn and walking her property line playing loud music to scare the deer away. Never has happened to me, hopefully never will , just wondering if anyone has been unfortunate enough to experience this . 

You wanna see hunter harassment, start a thread about meat hunters VS horn hunters. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Yes in a WMA parking area.  Firearm was already unloaded so I quickly stored the gun and the dog in the truck.  Wanted to make sure they did not harm my dog and my not having the firearm in my possession for them to say I threatened they with it.

They are just mentally ill people who have nothing better to do before they go hunting at the local supermarket for the dead plants and animals they eat.

21 minutes ago, Wilderness said:

Yes in a WMA parking area.  Firearm was already unloaded so I quickly stored the gun and the dog in the truck.  Wanted to make sure they did not harm my dog and my not having the firearm in my possession for them to say I threatened they with it.

They are just mentally ill people who have nothing better to do before they go hunting at the local supermarket for the dead plants and animals they eat.

Huh? 

ł have been harassed while hunting.

Spring 2016 ł was opening camp, going through the chores list.

Got around to firing up my 4 wheeler for the first time after Winter (Old and sputtering son of a gun it is) and suddenly ł am greeted with the charge of a new to my woods Ruffed Grouse who must've thought he had company near his drumming log.

This Grouse who became known as "Quad" followed me around until his unfortunate disappearance the same Winter.

Quad would stop by every now and again to say hello throughout that year but it wasn't until hunting season that he became a bit of a nuisance.

I thought it was funny when he followed me up my ladder while replacing an electrical mast... he used this skill set to follow me in to my treestand as well.

ł wouldn't trade the "Harrassing" from Quad during hunting season for the world but ł do wish ł didn't have to go to my buddies property to fill my tags.

Here are a couple photos of Quad harassing me while hunting, he used to climb the ladder one rung at a time... all you would hear were his wings whirring and clink... clink... clink... as he flew from one rung to the next as opposed to just flying up. Quad walked around the shooting rail and would even jump up on my head or perch behind me on a close branch.

How is this hunter harrassment some may be wondering... Well, Quad spooked dozens of deer that year because he wouldn't sit still and made it so ł couldn't hunt my own land lol.

This guy could find me no matter what treestand ł decided on for the day, like he patrolled my Woodlot checking for an occupied tree. 

ł could've just taken him during season, from what ł hear they're tasty birds... But ł liked him too much regardless of his quirky personality.

20161208_094342.jpg

20161208_094838.jpg

Screenshot_20161209-011633 (1).png

• Like 20
  • Haha 2

ł have been harassed while hunting.
Spring 2016 ł was opening camp, going through the chores list.
Got around to firing up my 4 wheeler for the first time after Winter (Old and sputtering son of a gun it is) and suddenly ł am greeted with the charge of a new to my woods Ruffed Grouse who must've thought he had company near his drumming log.
This Grouse who became known as "Quad" followed me around until his unfortunate disappearance the same Winter.
Quad would stop by every now and again to say hello throughout that year but it wasn't until hunting season that he became a bit of a nuisance.
I thought it was funny when he followed me up my ladder while replacing an electrical mast... he used this skill set to follow me in to my treestand as well.
ł wouldn't trade the "Harrassing" from Quad during hunting season for the world but ł do wish ł didn't have to go to my buddies property to fill my tags.
Here are a couple photos of Quad harassing me while hunting, he used to climb the ladder one rung at a time... all you would hear were his wings whirring and clink... clink... clink... as he flew from one rung to the next as opposed to just flying up. Quad walked around the shooting rail and would even jump up on my head or perch behind me on a close branch.
How is this hunter harrassment some may be wondering... Well, Quad spooked dozens of deer that year because he wouldn't sit still and made it so ł couldn't hunt my own land lol.
This guy could find me no matter what treestand ł decided on for the day, like he patrolled my Woodlot checking for an occupied tree. 
ł could've just taken him during season, from what ł hear they're tasty birds... But ł liked him too much regardless of his quirky personality.
20161208_094342.thumb.jpg.19e0704e59f378aa82a3124b34bd351b.jpg
20161208_094838.thumb.jpg.8a9ef819d65a951a10a24746e3c9281a.jpg
5b75a6cf78b73_Screenshot_20161209-011633(1).thumb.png.2865c65e91c2e1d86623cb07d87501eb.png
That's awesome! You ever get to pet it?

8 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

That's awesome! You ever get to pet it?

A few times ł was quick enough to touch em, he didn't like that though.

Would jump and swipe with his wings at you whenever you made contact. 

For the most part he sat on the porch with us and "Coo'd" while pecking at toes.

20160719_152659.jpg

20160728_163335.jpg

20160907_111718.jpg

• Like 4

A few times ł was quick enough to touch em, he didn't like that though.
Would jump and swipe with his wings at you whenever you made contact. 
For the most part he sat on the porch with us and "Coo'd" while pecking at toes.
20160719_152659.thumb.jpg.eeaede459fa4ab386e51ff7c9dd8d9c8.jpg
20160728_163335.thumb.jpg.68d16e117404e3d22bbdd54ae5072c0c.jpg
20160907_111718.thumb.jpg.ff1a904d1141e500cbf76d5e11c8d2bb.jpg
That is awesome! Should have kept it as a pet

35 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

That is awesome! Should have kept it as a pet

For the most part he was, we named him after all... He was just free range.

ł follow the law of man because ł couldn't fathom life in prison. Keeping a creature like him indoors or caged up would be stripping him of his GOD given freedom and essentially putting him in a predicament ł wouldn't choose for myself.

Couldn't do it no matter how cool it would've been or how much the GF and kids asked.

Edited by XGX7PM
Spelling.
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, XGX7PM said:

For the most part he was, we named him after all... He was just free range.

ł follow the law of man because ł couldn't fathom life in prison. Keeping a creature like him indoors or caged up would be stripping him of his freedom and essentially puttimg him in a predicament ł wouldn't choose for myself.

Couldn't do it no matter how cool it would've been or how much the GF and kids asked.

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures of Quad!  Gotta say, it made me smile!!!

Any idea what may have happened to him?

57 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Perhaps the deer were paying him protection money. Then one winter, he leaned on the wrong buck.

Edited by left field
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, grampy said:

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures of Quad!  Gotta say, it made me smile!!!

Any idea what may have happened to him?

He was in season last ł seen him, could've been a neighboring hunter or the Winter that got him.

At the end of the day memories outlast most everything.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Used to put a frog on a hook and send him out into the lake, caught many Bass there that way .

Now that reminds me , guy from work was bowfishing that but on the other side of the road along the golf course . Some A hole golfer took offense to that I guess and started driving golf balls at him ! 

I gotta tell you I’d have called the cops and pressed charges on that one . 

If only slingshots wer legal he could of fired back ;)

• Like 1