Hunter harassment

Northcountryman

where the farm is we look after each other and neighbors have at decent enough relationships.  at my house 20+ minutes away it's different.  mix of folks that are just funny when it comes to "their deer".  just yesterday i was driving home from work. stopped alongside the road less than a mile from my house and small property there to look at a bachelor group out in the field. they typically end up behind my house in my creek bottom during the season. most drove by seeing me in my dress clothes with binos in hand.  one SUV stopped about a 100 yards down the road.  i was expecting them to back up or turn around and talk like some have (had great conversations with hunters down the road that way).  instead they sat their for 10 minutes in the distance while i glassed.  then they layed on their horn for a while and drove off. didn't phase me or the deer a bit.  like i said some are funny, whether a hunter or anti-hunter.

• Like 3

I had gotten some harrassment on West Bloomfield Road . When I was getting ready to hunt or finishing for the day the soccer moms would blast their horn when going by . If only these idiots would stop and think about the deer / car accidents on that road .

I had thought at times about calling the Lonsberry show and telling a BS story about not having any luck until some woman in a SUV blared on her horn and a couple of doe popped up in the high grass and I was able to shoot both of them . Then thank the lady with the loud horn for helping me be able to kill 2 deer . Never did it but every once in a while I am tempted to do it . I have had some jerk walk around that same property and see no reason for him to do so . Last year I posted pics of him walking around with his crossbow and smoking a stinky cigarello when it wasn't X-bow season . 

• Like 2

I usually have some "harassment" from the groundskeepers that are mowing the meadows of the vast plot of land I hunt, but alas not really harassment more just me being cranky I picked the wrong stand to hunt. Usually I'll just hunt either the higher or lower stand depending on what part of the property they are mowing that morning. The deer all seem pretty used to the noise and people so doesn't really hurt me much at all. Though I have had one scare away a massive buck I was about to shoot when they drove down the driveway. Not their fault as they had no idea I was even there but I was still pretty cranky at my misfortune. Oh well he just grew even bigger for the next year and never even had a clue I was there so one day I'll get em!

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

• Like 1

Last year hunting Westchester for first time. 6 acres of private property that I had permission on. Someone called the cops on me. The local cops were cool with me and asked to see my hunting license. When they saw bear tag, they said they didn’t know NY had a bear season. They asked how far upstate I had to go to get a bear, I told them there was a season right here in Westchester. They were shocked lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

Oh yeah , 2 years ago we had permission to hunt a friend's property in the Marion / Palmyra area . My son went to his double stand opening day to find that someone had removed the bottom section of his stand . They would have been trespassers .

20151216_102841.jpg

20151216_102856.jpg

20151216_103047.jpg

Security torx drive bolts with all metal locking nuts  will help.

My favorite harassment story was told to me years ago during my trapper ed course.

I don't remember all the details but it ended when the woman who was harassing the trapper kicked one of his 330 conibear traps! OUCH!!!!

I would have loved to see that!!!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

I have to say I'm glad I don't have any of these stories to share. I don't think I would have been able to keep as cool about it as many of you have. Kudos to you!

The only negative experience I ever had was when I was getting some gas back in Rochester on the way home from the southern tier, an elderly couple pulled up to the pump behind me and the woman said "shame on you" when she saw the couple of deer I had in the trailer I was towing. She may have even wagged her finger at me, but that's the worst I've ever got! 

Edited by Steuben Jerry

It does seem to me, that the majority of the harassers are women?  I am sure there are just as many men out there against what we do as hunters.  But by far the most vocal and visible, seem to be female.  Curious as to why that is?

22 minutes ago, grampy said:

It does seem to me, that the majority of the harassers are women?  I am sure there are just as many men out there against what we do as hunters.  But by far the most vocal and visible, seem to be female.  Curious as to why that is?

Venis envy. Oops - misspelled venison.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

4 or 5 years ago we lived in an apartment complex and there was a little stretch of woods behind us. I went and asked the old lady that owned them if my dad and I could hunt them and she said yes. So we could just walk out of my building and in 15 minutes we were sitting in our spots. 

Well one afternoon I couldn't hunt but my dad was headed back there with the crossbow. As he started up the trail one of the ladies in my building saw him and came out and started asking where the hell that guy was going. I'm just like, hunting. She starts yelling saying he can't hunt back there. I explain to her that he can as long as he is the proper distance from the buildings. She then said it's private property, which I agreed with her on and then explained to her that we had permission to be there by the owner. Then she said she was calling the cops. I'm like, go ahead, but just so you know, you are gonna lose this one because he is not doing anything wrong. I guess she never called the cops.

Because as men we have to be aware that if we say the wrong thing we could end up in a very heated argument or worse. I feel like women will spout off to a man because they know 90% of men will not do anything to them.

8 hours ago, Moho81 said:

I don’t think the Me Too Movement has anything to do with this. The Me Too Movement is more about women being sexually harassed by men. Which is a serious problem.

It doesn't! But its very hard for some to get facts or the truth right.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 5:28 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I am sure you will know this area and many guys from the area. The warm water outflow from the old coal burning plant Russell Station. Wonderful place to catch trout in the claws of winter. Also a magnet for ducks. Only down side is that in the town of Greece they don't allow firearms hunting in that area.  Well lit turns out that the town line goes to some water line of Lake Ontario and doesn't extend into the Lake. We confirmed this with DEC. So for the late duck season we were set up in an anchored canoe on the Lake and not in the Town of Greece. Well it also turns out that there were folks set up in the public parking area that were there  for the ducks too, but they were there to watch them not eat them. Well the called the LEO's and they came and called us to shore. We explained the situation and they didn't agree. They called DEC and an very nice officer came out and explained to them the errors of their ways. We limited out. 

I did exactly the same thing once in the same location years and years ago, but never went back. It was too much of a PITA. For example, returning to shore was interesting...the cops told me I'd be arrested if I tried to come ashore on the Russel Station property. They didn't much like me hunting there :rofl:. Luckily, a local guy who lived four doors down was watching the shenanigans and invited me to return via his property. He went so far as to walk down to Russel and drive my truck back to his driveway. Now that I'm older I just want to get as far away from the googins and asshats as possible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Biggest problem I've ever had were ATV riders. We have a couple in the area now who must have removed the exhaust systems on their junk and these things are loud as hell. Ruined an afternoon hunt for me already this year. They are too lazy to run those things early morning, so your usually OK until mid afternoon.

I did exactly the same thing once in the same location years and years ago, but never went back. It was too much of a PITA. For example, returning to shore was interesting...the cops told me I'd be arrested if I tried to come ashore on the Russel Station property. They didn't much like me hunting there :rofl:. Luckily, a local guy who lived four doors down was watching the shenanigans and invited me to return via his property. He went so far as to walk down to Russel and drive my truck back to his driveway. Now that I'm older I just want to get as far away from the googins and asshats as possible.

That guy is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So get this.... My buddy just got permission to hunt across the Rd from his house on like 86 acres.  So I helped him put up some stands.  

The people that used to own the property right down the road took him out and showed him a spot or two as well.   

Well he finally gets the time and the right wind today so he goes out to the stand we put up by the field.  He gets out there and there are mylar balloons tied out about 200 yards in the field.  

He pulls his trailcam there and has a pic of one of the local guys going by hunting and then a dark pic like something over cam, then nothing for 7 days til pic of him picking up camera.   

WTF?  

I told him he should've checked balloons to see if anything on them . But he was so bewildered he just went back home.  Crazy right.

37 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

So get this.... My buddy just got permission to hunt across the Rd from his house on like 86 acres.  So I helped him put up some stands.  

The people that used to own the property right down the road took him out and showed him a spot or two as well.   

Well he finally gets the time and the right wind today so he goes out to the stand we put up by the field.  He gets out there and there are mylar balloons tied out about 200 yards in the field.  

He pulls his trailcam there and has a pic of one of the local guys going by hunting and then a dark pic like something over cam, then nothing for 7 days til pic of him picking up camera.   

WTF?  

I told him he should've checked balloons to see if anything on them . But he was so bewildered he just went back home.  Crazy right.

how does curiosity not get you to check those balloons? as far as lack of pics, trail cams can be finicky, could just be a setting or cam issue. but also could be someone messing with him.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

how does curiosity not get you to check those balloons? as far as lack of pics, trail cams can be finicky, could just be a setting or cam issue. but also could be someone messing with him.

That's what I said. I would've checked those balloons over.  He said they were inflated and had to be tied to something somehow.  The grass isn't that high I would've checked em out.  I think he just couldn't believe it.

We said the same about cams but was just too much coincidence we thought.  And he picked up another cam from a closer spot in woods almost a week ago and said the camera was shut off. He asked if any of mine had ever just shut off.  The cams don't have a set switch but a power on/off button. 

So odd.