Hunter harassment

Northcountryman

Not surprised the balloons were sitting on the ground ,someone probably released them from an event or by accident ,those things only float for a day at best now. I'm not sure what gas they use these days. My kid gets a balloon from wegmans all the time and by the next day they don't float anymore .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That's what I said. I would've checked those balloons over.  He said they were inflated and had to be tied to something somehow.  The grass isn't that high I would've checked em out.  I think he just couldn't believe it.

We said the same about cams but was just too much coincidence we thought.  And he picked up another cam from a closer spot in woods almost a week ago and said the camera was shut off. He asked if any of mine had ever just shut off.  The cams don't have a set switch but a power on/off button. 

So odd.

how many balloons are we talking about?

A few years back I was goose hunting an area of the Braddock Bay WMA. This section is at the South end of Long Pond. The NYS Parkway runs East/West and there is a section of overgrown field and trees between the Parkway and the water’s edge with and apartment complex on the Eastern shore just off to my right. There is a DEC billboard at the front of the trail head from the parking lot down to the water. It clearly states that this is a mixed use area and that hiking, fishing, hunting, trapping are permitted. I’ve hunted there for years without incident. I just try to be very mindful not to shoot toward the Parkway, and to give some distance to the apartments.

So I was out there last winter for the late goose season. A few honkers flew over and my buddy and I took a few shots. As soon as we did we could hear someone back in the Apartments shout as if we startled him. 30 minutes later the DEC shows up and asks for our licenses. He asked us who gave us permission to be there. I explained that, according to the DEC sign at the trail head, this was public property and that I didn’t know I needed permission to hunt public property. He said it was private and kicked us out. I then asked about the parcel across the street (~450 acres of the same WMU). He said he didn’t know what I was talking about and that all he knew was that I couldn’t hunt where we were.

Not being one to challenge law enforcement we left. Later that same day I called the DEC regional office in Avon and spoke with someone in management. The guy I spoke with knew the area well and said that we were absolutely within our rights and should not have been kicked out. He said I was free to continue to hunt there and if there were any more problems, I could reference or call him.

I went back over the summer to look around and now there are signs up saying that it’s a waterfowl sanctuary, and that hunting is prohibited. You win some you lose some…

57 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That's what I said. I would've checked those balloons over.  He said they were inflated and had to be tied to something somehow.  The grass isn't that high I would've checked em out.  I think he just couldn't believe it.

We said the same about cams but was just too much coincidence we thought.  And he picked up another cam from a closer spot in woods almost a week ago and said the camera was shut off. He asked if any of mine had ever just shut off.  The cams don't have a set switch but a power on/off button. 

So odd.

yeah if one was off, then something up. there is a chance it's one of those class balloons hung up on something... but dang I'd have gone and had a look for sure. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

I went back over the summer to look around and now there are signs up saying that it’s a waterfowl sanctuary, and that hunting is prohibited. You win some you lose some…

so did they change the law, or is some tree hugger f'n with you? I'd definitely do some research online before i believe a sign. and if it contradicts the sign, i'd print it out and bring it with me.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Belo said:

yeah if one was off, then something up. there is a chance it's one of those class balloons hung up on something... but dang I'd have gone and had a look for sure. 

I have found the class ones in the woods before. But this field is just a clover field and with three balloons , like he said they would have moved from the wind 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

so did they change the law, or is some tree hugger f'n with you? I'd definitely do some research online before i believe a sign. and if it contradicts the sign, i'd print it out and bring it with me.

From what I can tell the signs are legit. The people living in the apartments nearby must have raised a stink with management who in turn called the DEC and pitched a fit. For the DEC, the easiest solution was likely to mark the area as a sanctuary. I'd love to find a boat launch so I could setup right in front of the apartments, but that's more effort than I want to put into it just to spite someone. That area across the street is good. Not as good, but still good.

I'm going to treat this like my marriage and pick my battles. Pushing my luck and being spiteful rarely work out in the long run.

Use to have a lady follow me right in the woods years ago screaming and yelling at me  until i filmed her with my phone doing it.  Then i told her " Hunting is legal lady harassment and stalking are not and i believe stalking could be a felony but I am not sure.  We could call cops and find out or you could get the ---- out of my face"  Never bugged me again.....

As far as I have heard, in N.Y.S. law,s were passed that people doing such a thing can be arrested. But It would take some looking into to find the Legislation write up on it. I heard this in a deer camp by word of mouth.

41 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

From what I can tell the signs are legit. The people living in the apartments nearby must have raised a stink with management who in turn called the DEC and pitched a fit. For the DEC, the easiest solution was likely to mark the area as a sanctuary. I'd love to find a boat launch so I could setup right in front of the apartments, but that's more effort than I want to put into it just to spite someone. That area across the street is good. Not as good, but still good.

I'm going to treat this like my marriage and pick my battles. Pushing my luck and being spiteful rarely work out in the long run.

i hear ya. But there is a lot of paperwork involved to get any area's classification changed. I believe they would have even needed to do a public comment period. And maybe they did. that's why i'd look. because exactly to your point, maybe they figured they'd just put up a sign and nobody would care. 

I guess, I just hate to see sportsman lose land and opportunities when it's so few are far between already. We pay good money to hunt the state's resources and for one landlord to get any area shut down would require more than just a phone call. At least it should.

6 minutes ago, TwoSeventy said:

As far as I have heard, in N.Y.S. law,s were passed that people doing such a thing can be arrested. But It would take some looking into to find the Legislation write up on it. I heard this in a deer camp by word of mouth.

more than just a campfire story

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/ENV/11-0110

Section 11-0110Interference with lawful taking of wildlife prohibited

Environmental Conservation (ENV)

1. As used in this section "wildlife" means wild game and all other animal life existing in a wild state, including fish, shellfish and crustacea, and "process of taking", in addition to any act described in subdivision thirteen of section 11-0103 of this article, includes travel, camping, and other acts preparatory to taking, which occur on lands or waters upon which the affected person has the right or privilege to take such wildlife.

2. A person is guilty of interfering with the lawful taking of wildlife when, with intent to prevent the taking of wildlife, in season, in a place where hunting, fishing or trapping is lawful, and by a person properly licensed to take such wildlife, he:

(a) strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects the licensed person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or

(b) follows the licensed person in or about such place and engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously annoy such licensed person and which serve no legitimate purpose.

Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, no one shall be arrested for violation of this section by other than a duly designated peace officer acting pursuant to his special duties, or a police officer.

Edited by Belo

6 minutes ago, TwoSeventy said:

NY -Environmental Conservation Law ? 11-0103

? 11-0110. Interference with lawful taking of wildlife prohibited.
1. As used in this section "wildlife" means wild game and all other
animal life existing in a wild state, including fish, shellfish and
crustacea, and "process of taking", in addition to any act described in
subdivision thirteen of section 11-0103 of this article, includes
travel, camping, and other acts preparatory to taking, which occur on
lands or waters upon which the affected person has the right or
privilege to take such wildlife.
2. A person is guilty of interfering with the lawful taking of
wildlife when, with intent to prevent the taking of wildlife, in season,
in a place where hunting, fishing or trapping is lawful, and by a person
properly licensed to take such wildlife, he:
(a) strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects the licensed person
to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or
(b) follows the licensed person in or about such place and engages in
a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously
annoy such licensed person and which serve no legitimate purpose.
Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, no one
shall be arrested for violation of this section by other than a duly
designated peace officer acting pursuant to his special duties, or a
police officer.

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

i hear ya. But there is a lot of paperwork involved to get any area's classification changed. I believe they would have even needed to do a public comment period. And maybe they did. that's why i'd look. because exactly to your point, maybe they figured they'd just put up a sign and nobody would care. 

I guess, I just hate to see sportsman lose land and opportunities when it's so few are far between already. We pay good money to hunt the state's resources and for one landlord to get any area shut down would require more than just a phone call. At least it should.

I have run into fake signs before. It certainly isn't a big step for them to take given what we have seen from the wackos. 

Shotgun hunting for deer is allowed in the WMU 8A portion, which is the Rose Marsh Unit, north of Manitou Beach Road, as well as the Bennett Road Unit. The entire complex is open to archery hunting. No waterfowl hunting in designated waterfowl refuges on Long Pond and Rose Marsh (posted with yellow and green signs). No hunting within 500 feet of a building. Please be sure to abide by all game laws (view hunting seasons and trapping seasons).

On 10/8/2018 at 3:31 PM, Bolt action said:

No waterfowl hunting in designated waterfowl refuges on Long Pond and Rose Marsh (posted with yellow and green signs). 

Game over for that spot. 

So far as I know for the last twenty five years there's been no waterfowl hunting on any part of Long Pond, either north or south of the parkway, because of refuge status. The back of Cranberry is fair game, as is Braddocks, but then you get into Rose Marsh further west which is also off limits. As mentioned above, archery for deer is okay. Just saying...

Does this story count as harassment of a hunter?  My only hunting land is a small parcel 20 or so acres sandwiched between a number of houses. It is legal but very tight for gun. Not ideal but its really all I have.  Cops were called several times a year. Never any tickets..   So one day I'm out and my neighbor walks over to me and tells me the following....  "I had a DEC officer come over the other day. He asked me if you had permission to hunt. I told him yes. He told me I should revoke that permission here and now. I told him no I was OK with you hunting there and it was no problem. He said think of your daughters. Do you want someone out shooting around your daughter? Tell me now they can't hunt I'll go over there and end this immediately..."

I about shit bricks when he was telling me this. Another man may have given into the pressure of law enforcement.  I am happy he did not. Its been a few years and new house owners this summer. I got permission but the neighbor is an ass and removed the property line markers. He proceeded to mow past the boundary, after I specifically told him not to. I think my time gun hunting may be at end as I am going to remark the boundary and tell him not to remove them again.

• 2 years later...

related to me by a Conneticut wildlife manager. Happened for at least several years about 20 years ago. Every year there was a controlled hunt and anti-hunters would show up. In addition to making stands unsafe, they would follow hunters into the  woods and chant/sing, etc. One guy was sick of this and led his harasers into a deep swamp, briar bushes and lost them way back in the property. Eventually, they found their way back, some crying and bitching. Another guy got a couple of deer that they drove to him.

• Like 1