Germination question

So it’s been 7 days since I planted a mix of Daikon radish and breeseem clover which is a annual clover. It looks like I have great radish germination and 0 clover. It’s been pretty wet here the last week. Any thoughts

90f8e7ab8ccbae85664a400582e25ed0.jpgac0904f8d5d545dc1e0e4f5af7cf2fc3.jpg62a00509a5084081ada4b27fe76fb5e5.jpg254e4e31a4cc42a953a411232636dcd5.jpg1fb5815da190ab7bc8ff2daebc1bdfbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as long as your clover seed was left on top of the soil, and at most "packed" into the soil. But not disked in.. it will gemrinate, just takes a bit longer, but an annual will grow a bit quicker than a perennial clover. Your seeds where it is thick, may not give a whole lot of room for you clovers to "pop"..   

I am going to try and stop to check on my plots today. if i remember ill try to snap a picture of an annual blend of clovers i planted 2 weeks ago. If you dont see signs of your clover coming up in your "bare" areas, get some cereal grains and broadcast evenly right before a rain. to fill in. 

as long as your clover seed was left on top of the soil, and at most "packed" into the soil. But not disked in.. it will gemrinate, just takes a bit longer, but an annual will grow a bit quicker than a perennial clover. Your seeds where it is thick, may not give a whole lot of room for you clovers to "pop"..   
I am going to try and stop to check on my plots today. if i remember ill try to snap a picture of an annual blend of clovers i planted 2 weeks ago. If you dont see signs of your clover coming up in your "bare" areas, get some cereal grains and broadcast evenly right before a rain. to fill in. 

I disced before I seeded, both the clover and radish were just broadcast on top. They were in a blend I got. I’ll be back at camp on Saturday and then gone for a few weeks I’m hoping I’m starts to come up. I’ve planted Perennial clover before so I kind of know what to look for

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Everyone is telling me annual clover takes a while.  I planted a brassica mix with clover and after 2-3 weeks, I just started to see clover while the brassicas are already 3-4" tall.

My mistake, I confused annual for perennial. 

One suggestion, get yourself a hand spreader.
My clover actually started germinating at the same time as my brassicas did this year, only difference is that the brassicas are much larger than the clover due to it growing faster.

I used a push spreader I have a hand one but it’s really small is the push one no good ?

I would say no just looking at the pattern that is showing with the plants. I use a bag spreader kinda like this...

712ZDowtdcL._SL1024_.thumb.jpg.27dfa8ba43d469bf32fc40b201205b4f.jpg

Maybe I’ll buy more clover and seed in the empty spots

• Like 1

image.png.fa16293630874a70879c0e1046ab9a06.png

This is the spreader I use for up to an acre. Went through 2 bag type spreaders before trying this one -  which has been great. I highly recommend,  spread controls are much better!  Its possible either the clover fell into cracks and got too deep or the seed to soil contact was much better for the slightly larger radish seed.

• Like 1

Just looked at your photos again and some spots looked real wet. Most clovers prefer a relatively well drained soil. If thats the case, try some oats or winter cereal rye in those spots. If the rye works, re-seed it again in about a month so you always have fresh new growth.

58 minutes ago, Glen said:

image.png.fa16293630874a70879c0e1046ab9a06.png

This is the spreader I use for up to an acre. Went through 2 bag type spreaders before trying this one -  which has been great. I highly recommend,  spread controls are much better!  Its possible either the clover fell into cracks and got too deep or the seed to soil contact was much better for the slightly larger radish seed.

Does that work well with small seed.  Mine stinks and I would like to upgrade.  

Isnt the Solo spreader just a bag spreader with a plastic bin instead of a bag? I dont really see the advantage.

I actually use a bag spreader that is older than many of the members on here lol. Theres no plastic, its all wood and tin with a canvas bag. I want to say it was made in the 40s, Ill have to look, the date is on there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Also, I dont use mixes and spread seeds separately, so that I get the most even coverage.

i don't know if George from DeerAg is still around but that was one of his pet peeves. That's why he'd package the seed separately. broadcast different seed types and size at the same time and you'll get different rates per acre.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Isnt the Solo spreader just a bag spreader with a plastic bin instead of a bag? I dont really see the advantage.

I actually use a bag spreader that is older than many of the members on here lol. Theres no plastic, its all wood and tin with a canvas bag. I want to say it was made in the 40s, Ill have to look, the date is on there.

You can control where you want the seed to spread out of the solo spreaders. one side or the other. both or directly in front i believe. I almost bought one but didn't want to put that money down. Couple of my buddies upgraded to this from the red bag earthway spreaders. Said best thing they've ever done. I believe the enclosed/sealed gear box is a bonus as well as the lubrication to it all. 

This is my back yard at camp that I seeded, rolled, then sprayed right after. Soon as the lawn had died, i have sprouts of about 2 or 3 inches. perfect timing. Sod stays together so no erosion/washout can happen.

IF you looks closely, you'll see quite a few different seeds germinating(14 different annual seeds in this blend).. but just behind the bigger brassica sprouts, are annual clovers coming up just at or under the dead vegetation. This method works so good, it protects seeds from heavy downpours and hides seeds better so birds cant pick them all. 

As others have mentioned, Radish seeds are much bigger than clover, if spread at the same time same rate.. you wont get a uniformed plot. 

Like DB mentioned, that was one thing I really liked with George's products.. bigger seeds packaged separate.   

20180815_161150.jpg

13 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

One advantage is the rodents don't chew a hole in the bag, LOL. I had that happen this year and didn't inspect the bag. Real good coverage in straight line. 

I just picked up a vintage metal spreader out of Cyclone Indiana for $19. Collectors item.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

14 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i don't know if George from DeerAg is still around but that was one of his pet peeves. That's why he'd package the seed separately. broadcast different seed types and size at the same time and you'll get different rates per acre.

Yep, George is the one that got me started with that. Before he suggested it, I used to mix my stuff all together and spread it. Say I was doing brassicas, PTTs and GHRs, the larger GHR seed would kinda float around in the bag, and then Id end up with patches where I had a bunch of them and other areas with none.

Ive used George's seed in the past, and had very good results with it.