Germination question

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

You can control where you want the seed to spread out of the solo spreaders. one side or the other. both or directly in front i believe. I almost bought one but didn't want to put that money down. Couple of my buddies upgraded to this from the red bag earthway spreaders. Said best thing they've ever done. I believe the enclosed/sealed gear box is a bonus as well as the lubrication to it all. 

Sounds nice, maybe Ill have to pick one up and give it a shot. I love my old school spreader, but it does have a few down sides, like seed in my shoes and pockets (and not in the ground) and seed tends to get caught where the canvas is stapled to the wood. It puts out a very nice, even broadcast though. Its kinda fun to do some of the work with old school tools too.

• Like 1

I’ll be back up tomorrow night, I’m Gunna head to agway and buy a different spreader I’ll buy some annual clover seed maybe a red clover and broadcast over what is already there. I didn’t use and nitrogen fertilizer because I was planning on the clover. Should be a easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

One advantage is the rodents don't chew a hole in the bag, LOL. I had that happen this year and didn't inspect the bag. Real good coverage in straight line. 

I just picked up a vintage metal spreader out of Cyclone Indiana for $19. Collectors item.

I believe mine is a cyclone. I keep it in a cabinet that the critters cant get into, so I dont worry much about that. Id be pissed if it happened though lol.

11 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I’ll be back up tomorrow night, I’m Gunna head to agway and buy a different spreader I’ll buy some annual clover seed maybe a red clover and broadcast over what is already there. I didn’t use and nitrogen fertilizer because I was planning on the clover. Should be a easy fix.

Probably wouldnt hurt to throw some Winter Rye in there as well. That will come up quick and act as a good cover crop for the clover.

Ill actually be seeding my WR over my Ladino clovers this weekend. Just about perfect timing for it.

Probably wouldnt hurt to throw some Winter Rye in there as well. That will come up quick and act as a good cover crop for the clover.
Ill actually be seeding my WR over my Ladino clovers this weekend. Just about perfect timing for it.

Will it affect the daikon by out growing it ?

12 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I believe mine is a cyclone. I keep it in a cabinet that the critters cant get into, so I dont worry much about that. Id be pissed if it happened though lol.

This is the one I just bought. Use to get these on farms auctions years ago, when their were some small farms left for like $10.

cs.jpg

• Like 1

No, it shouldnt. Ive grown both in the same plot before. The WR wont get very tall until next spring.

Took your advice bought a bag spreader put down some winter rye and also some ladino clover. I’ll be back in a few weeks to check on it. Also supposed to rain tonight so hopefully I get some good germination

• Like 1