Does your wife, girlfriend or daughter - hunt, shoot or fish

rob-c

Bunch of us guys were talking at work and some wished  their wife’s would hunt or at least shoot some. My wife loves to hunt, but not without some gentle persuasion from me. Growing  up her family did no hunting and owned no guns , I don’t think they were anti gun just never felt a need to owne one.They did own a cottage on Waneta lake and my wife did fish . So  I started her out with a  target bow then talked her into bow hunting, then bought her a rifle then pistols. She loves it all now and try’s to get other woman into shooting, hunting .She has a very upscale job and she tells me stories of other professional woman that find out she shoots/ hunts and they want to know all about it and they think it’s great but they have no one to show them the ropes. So have you or anyone you know helped a female get involved in shooting /hunting? 

Any female  members please tell us how you started... 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

My wife never showed any interest in it and I surely never pushed it on her.  I am actually happy as a clam that she doesn't hunt.  It's about the only thing I have left that doesn't involve her, so I prefer to keep it that way.  It's an escape from the human condition for me.

• Like 7

My wife likes to be in the woods but isn't into the killing part.  She'll look away on the shot.  And leaves during the processing.  She'll come to the range when she cans.  She doesn't particularly enjoy shooting but feel that it's a skill she should know or be comfortable with.

My wife has never and will never hunt, but she is a very good cook and loves venison, as do our daughters.   She use to fish when we were dating.  We got married on the third Saturday in June and spent the next week bass fishing on the Indian river lakes and the St Lawrence river (during the daylight hours).   She lost most of here interest in fishing after our daughters came along (we did other stuff at night).   Our younger daughter is into fishing and even outfished me once on smallmouth bass this summer.   Our older daughter is into shooting a little bit, but not hunting.  They are both really into high-school sports, which does not leave much time for hunting and fishing.   I am thankful that they all love venison and fish, which saves me some cash on food, and keeps them pushing me to hunt and fish.  It is a lot easier for me to to make time for those pursuits, when my wife and kids encourage it.        

Wife doesn’t hunt thank God . She and one daughter have carry permits, the other daughter owns a shotgun ,rifle and hunts a bit with me . She needs to get her permit . They all shoot from time to time .

A8488DD4-5028-40E1-877D-6AFC53F58DAD.jpeg

9B1C6271-EFE6-4FF2-BC0D-044FBF753A74.png

4BBA337D-91F2-408E-B237-DC69856AB12E.jpeg

8033BCA1-78D9-4CBD-A66F-7A45BD49303A.jpeg

• Like 10

My wife doesn’t hunt or fish (or shoot) but does like coming on canoe and kayak day trips where she can read a book and let me fish. She enjoys being outdoors and will show interest in my stories but often scratches her head over my obsessions. Find her a good book, a shade tree and a glass of wine, she is happy in nature!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's kept my wife and I together all these years, is we each have our own interests. I don't shop, and she doesn't hunt and fish. She's a city girl, I'm a bumpkin, nobody ever thought we would last. We've outlasted most of the naysayers. 

If my grandsons had turned out to be granddaughters There Is no doubt,  we would still share outdoors time together. 

I thinks it's very cool to see women and young ladies, enjoying the outdoor stuff.

• Like 7

I got my wife into hunting a few years ago. Regular season. Took her out opening day for the SZ, we were back home within two hours. Got her up in the NZ on the private land we have access too, and two weekends in a row she sat the morning hunt in below freezing temps. Now, she will brave the cold for private land VS public land in our area.

She fishes, but not like I like to fish. She's OK catching guppies, where as I want to land something with solid fillets.

She's my best friend, and sharing time in nature with her means a lot to me. 

• Like 2

Girlfriend enjoys fishing with me and the occasional sit with me deer hunting. She's not crazy about the cold so we usually just sit an hour then walk around. She shows interest in ducks and is practicing shooting clays for now, shell probably want to hunt ducks someday. 

• Like 2

My (long term) GF hunts deer and turkey and also likes to fish for panfish.  Actually she is a "foodie" and is primarily motivated by obtaining high quality protein.  (Once while back at the farmhouse I remarked that a doe looked cute.  She responded that it would look cuter on her dinner plate. )  Her health is not the best, she picks nice weather days.  She has harvested four deer and a couple turkeys.  I end up gutting the deer while she sheds some tears.  She is very cautious and selective in her shot attempts.  I think she actually likes fishing more than hunting, physically it's much easier for her.  

• Like 3

Interesting responses, different strokes for different folks and all,that .

30 years of marriage,with no major issues, we have separate checking ,savings and investment accounts ,neither care much what the other does with their money . Working for the FD meant we’d go three days in a row with out seeing each other, which was awesome ,she loved having the bed and remote to,herself .

She does know how to drive a ski boat I’ll give her that .

• Like 1

My wife likes to fish every now and then, usually perch which are fun to catch. She has a pellet gun she likes to shoot every now and then.

She doesnt want to hunt here in NY, but we have a trip to S. Africa in two years, and she wants to accompany me as I do... so I hope to get her to tag along a bit before hand to get the feel for it. 

• Like 1

Gf Doesn't do any of it.Thats my ME time as alot of others said.shes sat one turkey hunt with me and that was it.id like for her to get involved in some but no pressure.ill enjoy every bit of that ME time in the woods or near the water 

Edited by doebuck1234
  • Like 1