Good Timing

fasteddie

I am just glad that it wasn't there when I checked the camera card . My SIL said she had heard them howling in the morning . 

I don't trap so that would be a no no for me . Seems rather dumb that Coyote season open October 1st same as bow season . It ends March 31 . I don't like sitting out in 10 degree weather with the wind blowing to shoot any yotes . 

I've found it to be lots of fun, and quite challenging, to hunt yotes after deer season. They are also targets of opportunity during the season. With the numbers of them, I don't know why DEC does not consider expanding the season for them. 

• Like 2

I think the most effective thing would be to have at least a mini season during the fawning period before they can run well. Thats when its most beneficial to remove coyotes. 
People still wouldn't go out and hunt them. 90% of people don't hunt them now during their current season. People love to complain about something but when its time to put in money/time and patience they're gone.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

People still wouldn't go out and hunt them. 90% of people don't hunt them now during their current season. People love to complain about something but when its time to put in money/time and patience they're gone.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I agree. It’s too much for me to go out and hunt coyotes like that so I doubt I would even go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might give it a try again after Deer Season . I tried it before and called in some fox but I am not allowed to shoot fox at my sister in laws because they chase them on horseback . 
That also puts a damper on the trapping, I often get fox in my yote sets.
I'm in Canandaigua. If ya need some help after deer season I'd be happy to come hunt the yotes. I actually love hunting after dark in the sub-zero temps.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I might give it a try again after Deer Season . I tried it before and called in some fox but I am not allowed to shoot fox at my sister in laws because they chase them on horseback . 

I went to college at Geneseo (Many, many years ago!) and remember seeing some of the fox hunts going on in the distance. Pretty cool to see.

11 hours ago, jperch said:

I went to college at Geneseo (Many, many years ago!) and remember seeing some of the fox hunts going on in the distance. Pretty cool to see.

Here are a few pics a friend took during a Fox Hunt .... well , maybe the last pic wasn't part of the GVHC 

F Deer  hauling butt.jpg

F deer.jpg

f dogs after fox.jpg

f fox hauling.jpg

f fox hunt cf.jpg

f more deer haulin (2).jpg

f open road.jpg

fox hunting.jpg

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'd kick my own butt if I ever wore those outfits

It's pretty much a Tradition and a formality to wear the clothes . Someone would look pretty stupid chasing the fox wearing jeans , a tee shirt and a cowboy hat or camouflage . 

• Like 1

I think for the participants it's all about the horses, dogs, ceremony, etc.  I don't think getting a fox is such a big deal for them, but I could be wrong.  I'm glad to hear the tradition is still going on, it was about 43 or 44 years ago that I saw this at Geneseo.  I guess you could not do this is most areas today because of all the posted property.  I assume the fox goes wherever it wants and hounds will follow no matter what.

Another spectacle that would take place back then around Geneseo were dog trials/pheasant "hunts".  I was invited to one of those by a local.  After the shooter missed several of the apparently tame and dizzy stocked birds I was asked if I could be the shooter so the dogs could do their thing.  I declined.  Apparently there was a lot of rich folks in the area back then.  

13 minutes ago, jperch said:

I think for the participants it's all about the horses, dogs, ceremony, etc.  I don't think getting a fox is such a big deal for them, but I could be wrong.  I'm glad to hear the tradition is still going on, it was about 43 or 44 years ago that I saw this at Geneseo.  I guess you could not do this is most areas today because of all the posted property.  I assume the fox goes wherever it wants and hounds will follow no matter what.

Basically they get landowner permission across several properties to hold an event, and position cars to stop traffic as they cross roads. Many of the riders own the properties they use.

This is a big deal by me in Millbrook area of Dutchess; several of my customers ride and have a bundle tied up in horses and property. Its actually pretty spectacular to see 20-30 riders at full gallop crossing a field.

Quite a few interconnected horse trails in the area too that cross all kinds of terrain. One I have worked on also has steeple chase style jumps, I did repairs and painting for a customer. Watching those horses clear jumps is amazing.

Here the only downside is that when horse people started buying up failing family farms, mostly small dairy; hunting access dropped. They just don't like folks with guns around their horses. Can't blame them, I hunted a place where a Belgian draft horse had a 30-06 put into it by an idiot on opening day. Horse survived with 5 figure vet bill. After that I got paid to run trespassers off the place on my spare time for next two years. Had a heaping pile of stands in the barn waiting to be collected. Idiot was arrested and had to make restitution for the bills, was on parole so went back to jail too.

They have cut trails across my SILs property and hunt during Bow Season . I was in a tree stand years ago and heard the hounds and the horn . A few female riders came near the stand and didn't know I was there . I told them where the rest of the riders were and they thanked me . there was a couple of foxes on horseback ( pretty females ) . 

What was neat was to see a few deer get pushed out of the woods and I could see that over 600 yards away . Two different fox came across an open field . they would stop , backtrack , jump to the side and go in a different direction . The riders would skirt the field rather than go across it in case there was anything planted . 

They DON"T kill the fox . 

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Serious question here ,how do you take someone serious when they talk to you wearing those clothes ? OK ,i'm done making fun of their costumes.

It's tradition . It is totally accepted in the area . I bet you even make fun of the Amish and Mennonites "costumes" . :rolleyes:

• Like 1