Some ADK Bucks from late 1940s

moog5050

The only hunter in my family before me was my great Uncle Sam.  Passed away quite a few years ago but a recall him as a young boy.  He was a hoot.  Always the life of the family parties.  Hunted the ADK.  The first pic is him in the middle.  The second pic are some ADK bucks he and his brothers killed with my father sitting on the buck and grandfather next to him.  Looks like it was behind the old family home on Akinson St in Rochester.  Anyone know the car?  Just came across them. Kinda cool.  Thought I would share. 

D52EF63A-DD0F-48F2-9E69-6E7460322F13.jpeg

C61E2B26-5A47-4EF3-B36A-FDB611A6D5BF.jpeg

• Like 27

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Lol. I was kinda digging the wide pants and high boots.  I think Uncle Sam and my gramps combined weighed about 100lbs less than me. 

Good stuff.   I love these old photos,  they really make you think.  It seems to make you look around, and wonder what it was like X amount of years ago, and wherever you are....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Good stuff.   I love these old photos,  they really make you think.  It seems to make you look around, and wonder what it was like X amount of years ago, and wherever you are....

Pretty sure no one was stressing about killing a wall hanger.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Pretty sure no one was stressing about killing a wall hanger.  

That is when people were REAL, and not worrying about impressing the neighbors.  Real people, not todays phonies.   I must admit, my wall hanger needs a buddy.  Funny how times change.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

The only hunter in my family before me was my great Uncle Sam.  Passed away quite a few years ago but a recall him as a young boy.  He was a hoot.  Always the life of the family parties.  Hunted the ADK.  The first pic is him in the middle.  The second pic are some ADK bucks he and his brothers killed with my father sitting on the buck and grandfather next to him.  Looks like it was behind the old family home on Akinson St in Rochester.  Anyone know the car?  Just came across them. Kinda cool.  Thought I would share. 

D52EF63A-DD0F-48F2-9E69-6E7460322F13.jpeg

C61E2B26-5A47-4EF3-B36A-FDB611A6D5BF.jpeg

Whoa! You just floored some of the younger hunters moog, they aren't wearing camo and for sure no scent control. LOL.

Really cool pics, thank you for posting them up, love seeing those old pics of days gone by.

Edited by Rob...
spelling
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, grampy said:

I'm trying to make out the rifle he's holding. Any idea of what it is, or if it's still in the family? 

No idea.  I was too young when he passed. I think it went to his brothers kids.  He was my uncle by marriage (married my gramps sister) so I really don’t know his side of the family well. I recall he had shotguns and a Nickel plated 38 snub nose with pearl grips that he threatened to shoot in the air on New Years every year until my aunt nixed the idea.  He like to have a few cocktails.  Haha

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Salmon_Run said:

Trying to read the grill moniker and it "may" say Buick Regal ???

Many great hunters drive Buick’s .

Great pics, I too love those old ones , say you should recreate these, this year strap your deer on the hood of your wife’s new SUV .

Cant say for sure but that gun kind of looks like a double barrel shotgun held sideways . I know my Grandfather used a DB Remington. 

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

23 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Is that guy wearing a wife beater during gun season? Even back then the temps were too hot to hunt.

lol - that s my gramps and I swear he had the same exact build until he died at 97 and was always crazy active until he got sick 2 months before he passed - like up in trees with chainsaws or breaking his age in golf at 90.  Kinda wish I was 125lbs. 

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Many great hunters drive Buick’s .

Great pics, I too love those old ones , say you should recreate these, this year strap your deer on the hood of your wife’s new SUV .

Cant say for sure but that gun kind of looks like a double barrel shotgun held sideways . I know my Grandfather used a DB Remington. 

My father confirmed it was a buick.  Coincidence Larry, I think not.

• Like 1

Pictures like this are priceless, for the memories they hold. Just so cool to see how your family did it "back in the day". I like to think, that some day, my great or even great great grandson's or daughters, will look at some of my hunting photo's and smile.