whats your first date for hunting this fall?

Robhuntandfish

So where does the fall hunting season begin for you?  Early bear season in sept?  Sept 1 early goose season?  Maybe a sept squirrel hunt?   Mine is generally the big Oct 1 southern bow opener.  Once in a while i try an early bear hunt, but last time i went the weekend was record breaking warm in the end of sept and was 93 degrees.. blah.  I dont really have a spot to goose hunt, that isnt on one of my deer spots, that i dont wanna tread through and start the shooting. Some seasons open in a mere two weeks!   So whats the first hunt for you this fall?    

Edited by Robhuntandfish

9 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Oct 1st archery opener , BUT the weather is a huge factor on when we hit the woods.. 

yeah those early season hunts can be tough. I go the Oct 1st just cause i cant sit at the office for the first day and know i could be hunting ......cant do it.   But i dont hunt hard til end of Oct and then take a bunch of time off for hunting! Early season i hope to get that early doe on a field edge just before dark and restock the freezer.  Hate those days i plan to hunt and its gonna be 80 out.  - thats why i keep the boat handy too! 

• Like 2

I do most of my squirrel hunting from my back deck these day (lazy way), but I'll wait til the first frost sets in because I don't like those wiggly Bot-fly larva things.

I'll be out on the first Saturday after 10/1 just to get back at it, but I won't be in a hurry to hunt hard unless Mr. Right walks by me within 30 yds.

I'll be doing some squirrel hunting in September...Love to hunt'em, love to eat 'em, and those warbles don't bother me much..

In past years I have hunted the early goose season, but lately I wait until  the second season when I can shoot ducks too, unless I happen to spot a good feeding field or get an invite...Ya never know...

• Like 3