Trail Cam Questions

DirtTime

I am not a huge fan of using trail cams. I have never used one, and to be honest, the thought barely ever crosses my mind. With the exception of asking once f they would be good for a security cam.

With the wife hunting this season and she will only hunt the private land we have access to in the NZ, as the season approaches, I have been thinking of buying a couple to try and get a better set up for her sits. I can't make the now hour and 1/2 drive ( used to be 40 minutes ) to scout on a regular bases. So trail cams seem to be an option I may have to live with.

So....................

Do the cams come with SD Cards or do I have to buy them separately?

If I get them out in early Sept. will that be enough time to get some insight on the regular season opener in the NZ 10/20?

How good are the sale or budget cams?

I am looking these two:

Primos

Stealth

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sd cards usually are separate

I have used the cheap ones and the expensive and they all have worked fine for me.  Unless you want extra features or real high quality pics I don't see much of a difference. Esp if you just want to see what's out there.  

And I think it's plenty of time.  I actually don't even put mine out til August anyway.  But I use mine more for just finding out what's out there or if any big bucks.  

Best way to scout is of course to be there .  But I would look for the most sign and trails and put them up there.  Just to see how many deer come thru.  I don't use them much to find places to hunt and more to see what's going thru the area I plan to hunt. 

But I really think they are fun.  It shows you what is going thru or in the area that you may never see yourself.  

• Like 2

The cams could be a way to pump your wife up ie get her excited after seeing all the different critters in their environment.  

I think you have plenty of time like already stated. The cams will get you and hopefully the Mrs up there to pull cards, heck make a day of it. 

I love the anticipation of WTH is going to be on the SD cards. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Sd cards usually are separate

I have used the cheap ones and the expensive and they all have worked fine for me.  Unless you want extra features or real high quality pics I don't see much of a difference. Esp if you just want to see what's out there.  

And I think it's plenty of time.  I actually don't even put mine out til August anyway.  But I use mine more for just finding out what's out there or if any big bucks.  

Best way to scout is of course to be there .  But I would look for the most sign and trails and put them up there.  Just to see how many deer come thru.  I don't use them much to find places to hunt and more to see what's going thru the area I plan to hunt. 

But I really think they are fun.  It shows you what is going thru or in the area that you may never see yourself.  

No need for high quality, just a rough look at any bucks in the area. Just want to up her chances over mine. I will still sit my spots and not place a cam.

21 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

The cams could be a way to pump your wife up ie get her excited after seeing all the different critters in their environment.  

I think you have plenty of time like already stated. The cams will get you and hopefully the Mrs up there to pull cards, heck make a day of it. 

I love the anticipation of WTH is going to be on the SD cards. 

This has me all but sold on the idea. I can only get two, and if I buy them, they will be placed to get her on a buck. The make a day of it to check the cams could also be a day to make sure the rifles are still dialed in, and have a nice lunch at the camp my buddy and I made. 

• Like 1

I don't have the model of Primos cam that you showed but I have had 4 Primos cams and they all crapped out . I used them for trade ins . I have a couple of Stealth cams out and one is going on 6 seasons . The cams that take 8AA batteries seem to have good battery life . Walmart has a cheap Tasco for less than 40 dollars that takes good pictures but isn't lockable . SD cards are extra for most all of the trail cameras . 

What you see on the cameras during the summer changes by the time of the season opener as some crops are harvested and the deer change their feeding pattern . 

• Like 1

Wildgame Inovations is a very affordable cam that takes great pictures and seems to last. We have used them. If you have a Tractor Supply near you, they have some on sale there for $89 that comes with batteries and the SD card. 

Once you get some deer on the cam, you will be hooked! It really is fun, seeing what you capture on cam. You will get to looking forward to checking them.

We've only been doing it 3 or 4 years. Got started with phade sending my grandsons a cam. Then we added more each year. Got to have at least a dozen now. But usually only run 4 or 5 in different aeras of the property, to just see what is out there. Except for one spot, none are actually on a hunting set up.

I agree with Grampy.  I have run Wildgame cameras with some success.  They can be a good starter camera.  I'm hoping to replace them with Browning cams over time, but for now I'm still running 4 Wildgame cameras.  The oldest one is 5 years old.  

I wouldn't say that I count on them for information, but it is neat to see what walks by.  Two years ago I shot my rifle buck on opening day.  When I checked my cams a few weeks later I was amazed how many decent bucks had come through the farm toward the end of the season.  

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

What you see on the cameras during the summer changes by the time of the season opener as some crops are harvested and the deer change their feeding pattern . 

I know that. Hell, you can do boots on the ground patterning of deer and then day it all changes.

So, I will look or into the Stealth.

Edited by Rob...

58 minutes ago, grampy said:

Wildgame Inovations is a very affordable cam that takes great pictures and seems to last. We have used them. If you have a Tractor Supply near you, they have some on sale there for $89 that comes with batteries and the SD card. 

Once you get some deer on the cam, you will be hooked! It really is fun, seeing what you capture on cam. You will get to looking forward to checking them.

We've only been doing it 3 or 4 years. Got started with phade sending my grandsons a cam. Then we added more each year. Got to have at least a dozen now. But usually only run 4 or 5 in different aeras of the property, to just see what is out there. Except for one spot, none are actually on a hunting set up.

Appreciate the info. That sounds like a good deal, I will look into it. Oh, and you know I have a Tractor Supply near by, Glenmont. 

35 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I don't care for the Wild Game cams . They only take one picture at a time so you can miss a lot . They also don't have the capability of using a strap and require Bungie Cords . 

Cams are like anything else, everyone has their likes and dislikes on certain ones. Myself included. And you usually do, get what you pay for. We've upgraded to a couple of Brownings. Anxious to see how they work with video. But the Wildgame cams we've run, have never failed to trigger, always took clear pic's, and can be set to trigger at one second intervals. Also at an affordable price. 

There are many brands of affordable, starter cams out there. Most will do the job of getting a picture of critters passing by. For anyone on a budget, shop around, and get the best deal possible. Then upgrade when you can.

phade, is my go to guy on trail cam info here. Always gives solid advice. And usually has a very good deal, on a good cam. 

I've also pick up slightly used cams from members here. They have worked out pretty good too.

Talked to my buddy last night, he said to double check with his dad about putting the cams out. Just got off the phone with him and he said no problem. Glad I talked to him as there will be two other hunters up there this season.

Have to so some research and find what fits the wallet and work decent.

As for the SD cards what would be a good size?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Rob... said:

As for the SD cards what would be a good size?

4 GB cards work for me . I have a crapload of them as well as 8 GB cards . I buy mine on EBAY . I also have a few 8 GB micro cards . I have 4 card adapters that show locked but physically aren't so I trashed them and purchased 6 replacements on EBAY . 

the only SD cards I have had a problem with are ADATA brand . They come apart . 

• Like 1

4 GB cards work for me . I have a crapload of them as well as 8 GB cards . I buy mine on EBAY . I also have a few 8 GB micro cards . I have 4 card adapters that show locked but physically aren't so I trashed them and purchased 6 replacements on EBAY . 
                   the only SD cards I have had a problem with are ADATA brand . They come apart . 
Thank you eddie, I was thinking the 4's would be fine.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Rob , they are probably okay . I as seeing where manufacturers are getting away fro "C" battering and going to the AA batteries . I have two Stealth cams that use 6 "C" batteries and the batteries don't last long . The AA batteries last longer in other cameras . 

• Thanks 1

I suppose this is a naive question: Do people lock them up?

I just bought my first camera this afternoon and was surprised to see that there weren't any cable locks on display nearby, just various screw in and pivoting mounts. I've heard stories of people messing with the cameras.

I have mine set up in the backyard tonight to get familiar with its operation....and catch the marauding raccoon that raids everyone's trash!

I buy trail cams on sale, under $50 each, and have been happy with the results. Currently have two Stealth Cam STC-P12 and two Primos Proof Gen2. Each year the resolution and trigger speed of the cheap cameras gets a little better, too.

I use 8 or 16 Gb SD cards which is prob overkill, even with video. I have two cards for each camera, swap out cards when I visit the camera, take the cards home and review on the computer at my desk. Just bought a SD card reader for $12 on Amazon, works great. (Was using a digital camera previously).

Some brands do get better reviews than others re reliability especially. StealthCam and Primos were a little better than average in my research.

I don't lock them on my land, and wish I had the one time I put them on the neighbor's land (it was stolen).

• Like 2