Trail Cam Questions

DirtTime

1 hour ago, Rob... said:

Well, this is what I just ordered. Only 1. I know some have said these cams are crap, but I did what best fit my wallet and purpose. 

https://www.sears.com/stealth-cam-stealth-cam-px18cmo-8mp-game-trail/p-SPM8822697702?plpSellerId=VMInnovationscom&prdNo=34&blockNo=34&blockType=G34

could of given you an old cam and got a 14mp one at dicks for 49.95 plus tax

14 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I bought 3 of those and got rid of some old cameras .

i got 3 and gave 3 cameras to another friend to trade in and gave 2 to another i still have a few bad cams left.. its a pretty good deal.. not a great camera but more than adequate

Another vote for stealth camera.  Every one I bought is alive, except one thatlasted atleast 2 seasons through winter two.  

Wildgame innovations 2 duds in a row.......

Moultrie....  Seems so-so, they work, but when I buy a new camera I do a side by side with a trusted one.  One or two have missed a few pics the other got....  But, they take some pics and live....

Primos, they're so-so again.....

Never tried browning, but one or two folks have several and like them.

I don't lock them up.  I have put them on public land, no steal offs yet, but I put them in secluded spots well concealed.

My must haves, picture sensitivity selection...  Also, alteast have 1 camera with time lapse option.  This is perfect for big areas like fields.  Not a big video fan, but most have them.  I usually do medium sensitivty with 3 photos in the northern zone.

i had very good luck amd longevity with cuddie back some are 15 years old and work fine. butt last few years they have no been to same quality. i believe they got to big. 2 to 3 years was all i got out of last few.. i switched to brownings. but had bunch of old film cameras i traded for stealth . ill try them .better than old cams taking up space and at least i got sonething for them.

68 bucks for a refurbished cam,I might have opted for a new one at a sale price. Good luck with it, I run 6-8 cams Year round it's nice to see what is out there. As others have said the trade in of an old non working cam is a good deal so hold on to it if it dies.

I run mostly browning and spy point but this cheap cam has impressed me

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/wildgame-innovations-vision-extreme-trail-camera-package-14mp-17wgiuvsnxtrm14mptch/17wgiuvsnxtrm14mptch

Steve

Edited by sbuff

My first camera was stolen 50' from my back door. Now all my cameras are locked - even the one 15' up a tree overlooking my driveway. 

The deer pics are great but I really get a kick out of all the animals that walk by. Especially the ones who come and inspect the camera. 

Stealth cams have served me well. 

I have primos, moultrie, bushnell, and wildgame innovation.  My favorite is the moultrie. The wildgame is second then bushnell. The primos I don't even use cause I don't like it at all. 

My hunting buddy has the Brownings. They work nice but The moultrie works better in my opinion. 

Love trail cams. Its as addictive as hunting. 

For $4 more....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2018-Browning-Command-Ops-Pro-HD-14-MP-Digital-Game-Trail-Camera-BTC-4P/183396045529?epid=27017629656&hash=item2ab34192d9:g:LKkAAOSwGXlbe6Lb

Good luck with the Stealth. The one I have is junk. We use it at the farm for monitoring who is driving in and out, and its still not great for that. It was given to me, so I could care less if its stolen or vandalized. Ive had 2 other Stealth cameras and they have been not worth it either. Just my experience.

• Like 1

Cam came today. No instructions because it's refurbished, but found some info online so no worries. Was a little annoyed that they forgot to include the SD card, sent an email, but not stressing over a $5-10 item.

f18b344357d72feb57fbc987b1ae71de.jpg&key=8f9c57d542386f5b6032c2b40384c5c7a88ec92139b68d473c683774e6392666

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

What I've always done is buy name brand SD cards in pairs. One in cam and 2nd one recently swapped is taken home to view photos on my PC. Size of SD card depends on several factors, ie; how often cam is checked, photo vs video mode and the ever present weeds/leaves present that will give you 1000s of photos with nothing around. Meaning... do NOT s/u a new cam w/o checking its' results in about a week. Even if you've tested it in the backyard!

Hard to justify a ~$20 Python cable lock for a sub-$50 cam. They are more of a deterrent than an actual anti-theft device as the can be cut with lineman's pliers. Shhhh...:secret:!  FYI - Members than have multiple cams and want them secured, you can buy quantities of Python cable locks off eBay that are keyed the same. Super convenient, if you go that route!

Ran a few tests today after getting some batteries and a couple SD cards. Pics aren't bad IMO. I need to adjust the delay a bit more. So far I am not unhappy with the purchase.

I will say this, it was very odd to see pics of me taking my dog out with a date and time stamp. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure the higher end cams last longer and will work better over all, I just don't need to break the bank on a trail cam.

I saw those Tasco's at Wallyworld last night, $30. I was tempted, but as I said at the beginning, I am not a huge fan, so drooping a lot of cash on something I may only use for one season isn't in my way of thinking.