Gotta love it.

WNY Bowhunter

One of my favorite parts about running trailcams is when a familiar face reappears! This young droptined guy was my favorite up and comer from last year.  I was pleasantly surprised to see his face on my first card pull from a new cam setup yesterday. He may have lost his drop but he still has one of the best jumps in antler growth that I've seen this summer. He's a great buck now but could be something really special next year...

IMG_1059.thumb.JPG.e805b8f79e343d9b02a4372d2098ecdd.JPG

IMG_0048.thumb.JPG.3380beb9d684df1ad0196c6a8414a433.JPG

5b780c9aa9a54_IMG_0119(2).thumb.JPG.b4760339cc9efc18298dac312aeddf2b.JPG

5b780cd3a16fe_IMG_0198(2).thumb.JPG.86ab7616916ac775635a027fa3b60904.JPG

IMG_0148.thumb.JPG.426f480e02a8d81c4bf21c22400542aa.JPG

5b780cd8334e6_IMG_0166(2).thumb.JPG.410d9808ea8493bc64bb96a6b7d2e475.JPG

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 14

I always wondered how many drop tines "disappear" before horn harden up...    I always get a couple bucks with drops on camera every year, but it always seems to be when they are in velvet and then things dry up.

Do you often see the same?

No doubt it's the same buck. And he's added quite a bit of bone in one year! Even though most hunters, (myself included) would shoot him at the first opportunity. He has the potential to be something Very Special next year for sure! I truly respect your management practices. 

You have some great genetics going on that property! Having him continue to pass those genetics along for another year or two, will only make the future brighter! 

Whenever you do decide to kill him, it will be a very special buck. Especially considering the history you have with him.

The number one buck for us this year, is one we have been watching for three years. His time has come, he will be a great first buck for my grandson? 

• Like 3

On 8/18/2018 at 9:15 AM, grampy said:

No doubt it's the same buck. And he's added quite a bit of bone in one year! Even though most hunters, (myself included) would shoot him at the first opportunity. He has the potential to be something Very Special next year for sure! I truly respect your management practices. 

You have some great genetics going on that property! Having him continue to pass those genetics along for another year or two, will only make the future brighter! 

Whenever you do decide to kill him, it will be a very special buck. Especially considering the history you have with him.

The number one buck for us this year, is one we have been watching for three years. His time has come, he will be a great first buck for my grandson? 

I wish we had the problem of letting deer like this walk!!!! Maybe if we say pretty please he will ask us to acompany him on a hunt on his deer farm!!! Lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

I wish we had the problem of letting deer like this walk!!!! Maybe if we say pretty please he will ask us to acompany him on a hunt on his deer farm!!! Lol

In our neck of the woods, being our properties are only a couple miles apart.  A buck like that would be about as good as it gets for us Matt!  On a general basis, WNY bucks definitely have much bigger antlers than we see here. But ours are BIGGER, using the Pa. chest girth measurement! ..........grin.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/18/2018 at 8:29 AM, t_barb said:

I always wondered how many drop tines "disappear" before horn harden up...    I always get a couple bucks with drops on camera every year, but it always seems to be when they are in velvet and then things dry up.

Do you often see the same?

Once a buck grows the antler it remains unless it is broken off... which will leave evidence of it having been there. The bucks you are seeing during the season probably are not the same bucks you had on camera.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

There are so many bucks here its ridiculous. All the deer in the background are bucks. Lots of two year olds this year. My cam at the other end of the field has just as many different bucks

:nono: You just blew your excuse  for not getting one:blum:

• Like 1

On 8/31/2018 at 2:54 PM, WNY Bowhunter said:

Caught him using this logging road again...

IMG_0551.thumb.JPG.0a6fb9edeed91b9047a42da878bda892.JPG

IMG_0558.thumb.JPG.b2d582d26286a627cfb2a2afb4dc21a4.JPG

There are so many bucks here its ridiculous. All the deer in the background are bucks. Lots of two year olds this year. My cam at the other end of the field has just as many different bucks...

IMG_0505.thumb.JPG.846ee90a238bae009ecb2cf463eb981c.JPG

Is that a cow pasture full of cows in the background? Or the Buck Parade again?? lol!  Looks a little like a "Wannabe" frame kind of