What's the coldest temperature you can remember hunting in

Hunter007

No blind but I remember it like it was yesterday. So when I was 19 or 20 , so it was around 1989-1990 it was the last weekend of regular firearms season and my dad had not gotten a deer yet.my brother and I talked my dad into going out.  It was so cold I could walk on top of the frozen snow. So mind you I was no little kid, at that time I was easily 230-240.

So my brother and I decide to put on a little drive in  a 10 acre pine forest. Sure enough we kick out deer and my dad shoots , we get to my dad and he’s standing over the biggest doe I have ever seen . 

He's already field dressing it and I look at my brother he looks at me and were like ok we are done . So us boys are dragging this cow  of a doe out and we stop and there’s my dads 12 gauge hull laying in the snow. I said to my dad did you shoot from here and he said yes , he easily makes a 125 yard shot with his Ithaca  deerslayer. 

I remember it so vividly because it was so friggen  cold  that day and I can still see the smile on my dads face.. 

• Like 2

Around 20 below with the windchill. I am reminded any time the temps get below 60 degrees and my frostbitten hands start cracking and bleeding again. This was probably 10+ years ago now. Looks like I'll be suffering my misdeeds for the rest of my life. Serves me right for wearing only crappy cotton gloves when it was so cold outside.

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

The coldest I can remember was about  -10    in Roscoe ny in the 80s  actually one of the first times I went hunting  just old school hunting  sitting on the ground against a tree then the wind kicked up  really hard  I had to start  walking to keep warm  after about about  2 hours  of sitting there . By the time I got back to the road hands  and feet where numb as crap . 

32 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

The coldest I can remember was about  -10    in Roscoe ny in the 80s  actually one of the first times I went hunting  just old school hunting  sitting on the ground against a tree then the wind kicked up  really hard  I had to start  walking to keep warm  after about about  2 hours  of sitting there . By the time I got back to the road hands  and feet where numb as crap . 

Hunted there many times off of Morton Hill road. Could be a nasty place at times especially the road. Great place and thousand of acres to hunt!

19 minutes ago, First-light said:

Hunted there many times off of Morton Hill road. Could be a nasty place at times especially the road. Great place and thousand of acres to hunt!

Shzz I cant remember the exact spot up there  anymore    Been over 35    years now since I hunted up there was my older   cousins  and fathers and there friends spot they all would  meet up there  lot of them are deceased now .

Edited by Storm914

9 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Shzz I cant remember the exact spot up there  anymore    Been over 35    years now since I hunted up there was my older   cousins  and fathers and there friends spot they all would  meet up there  lot of them are deceased now .

Same here. They would go up and camp on the state land. Campbell Brook and such., We go back every so often and camp like they did. I actually owned a cabin there for many years. Only on 5 acres but there was so much state land you didn't need property. Great memories for sure! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, First-light said:

Same here. They would go up and camp on the state land. Campbell Brook and such., We go back every so often and camp like they did. I actually owned a cabin there for many years. Only on 5 acres but there was so much state land you didn't need property. Great memories for sure! 

Yep my  cousins   had a camper  we all hang out there  playing poker at night  I remember. :)  great times 

• Like 1

Hunting muzzle loader for deer on the ground in the snow and -20 degrees.  Dressed for it well and had good boots and gloves.  Sat still for 6 hours and never got a shot.  No wind helped me tolerate the cold.  Kept wondering if the rifle would fire if a deer presented itself.  At days end, it went off fine when I fired it to unload.

Whatever the temp was for the last weekend of late muzzy last year.  I was in a treestand all day, both days, feet frozen solid.  Maybe my chattering teeth scared off the deer?

Looking forward to using the new Baffin boots this time around!

I can remember deer hunting in temps way below zero many times. I don't think I've lasted more than a few hours, before coming out to warm up. I can tell you too, that the older I get, the less tolerance I have for extreme temps, high or low.

Yes, during predator hunting, temps are many times zero or below. But we usually are only making short calling sets, of an hour or so. Before moving to the next set, and warming in between. 

Also much easier to stay warm longer, with the clothing available today. When it's brutal cold, I just put on multiple layers of wool and synthetics. That keeps the body core warm. Problem for me is that the feet and hands give up, long before the body does!

In the coolest part of PA. , Lopez, at the old cabin, was -22 not counting any wind chill. Just nasty, but when it's that cold,deer need to move, thus good hunting. And you hope to get one so you can warm the hands dressing it.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk