STERLING FOREST-- before 1999--pictures.

blackbeltbill

The map is different today. Instead of 85 bucks, I am paying 5 bucks to hunt in Sterling Forest. Pre- 1999, there was Logging in the Forest as 2 of my pics show. There used to be a Rifle Range at the old Mckeags Meadow area-- pic with 3 tables. Gone now when Sterling  Forest became State Land in 1999 and The (Palisades Interstate Park Commission) took over management instead of the DEC. I still have a letter from then Gov Pataki in response  to one, I wrote to him about keeping  the Hunting program going. It has thankfully. A small group of us got right on this in 1998 and larger groups followed.      Now that (Deer House) was up at Indian Hill. I found that while hiking as 3 pics show. It was soon down when this area became State Land.     Make sure you get your Hunting  permit down at the Sterling Forest State Park Visitor Center on Long Meadow Road in Tuxedo. I got mine  last year on 9/1/17. 5 bucks it costs. Pheasant hunting only is free. Pheasants should be out before Oct 1st-- BUT CALL FIRST TO MAKE SURE OF THIS!  Hope people enjoy the old pics.

Ok-- the above photo is a funny one! Is that posted Land-LOL!      Of course STATE LAND connects to this. 4 different posted signs up.   Plenty of Deer walk between that rock wall to Sterling Forest State Park from the tracks, I have seen. Not much of a deer hunter myself. Tryed once to call up a Gobbler from there.  Set up 70 yards away from a posted line and you never know.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK-- DON'T call that old number as this pic is from a 1995 mag.Just happened to be Leaving through old mags and saw that ad for Sterling Forest. The Range advertised is long gone. Taken down in 1999. Even back in 1995 Sterling Forest had a Large Wild Turkey Population . Love this old ad with the walking Gobbler and the sitting Spring Turkey Hunter!!

• 7 months later...

I just found another old picture that, I took in Sterling Forest prior to the Forest becoming Public Land in 1999. I used to take those old Kodak throw-away camera everywhere. Often, I would write on the backs. There was PLENTY of Logging going on before this area became State Land. Probably not many other old photos taken by people are out there. This picture was taken in January of 1997 as , I wrote on the back and the Logging area was on what is now the-- Lake To Lake Trail on the GreenwoodLake Side. I used to see full Logging Trucks all the time in the 1990s. If you check out that picture with the Green Card some posts above-- you will see that it cost either 85 Bucks to Hunt or if you were late-- 115 Bucks.  AND IT WAS MORE CROWDED THEN! Today- you pay 5 Bucks to hunt or nothing if you get the special Pheasant Hunting only permit. I personally think everyone should have to pay up. I am going g to try to get more pics up on this Thread in the Future.

• 1 year later...

Picture of my 1st Turkey Taken. A 12lb Jake that,I  took " on the wing" after he flew out of a Tree with less then 1 week to go in the 1994 Spring Turkey Season.

Took 5 years to " break the ice"--( No Mentor).

Sterling Forest State Park is Tougher to hunt then Stewart State Forest . And much bigger as well- over 20,000 Acres compared to less then 7,000 for Stewart. 

Sterling is also fragmented  and very Hilly with Mountains  up to 1,300. While Stewart is Flat and rolling-- which brings the Crowds during the Spring.

Going to get more old pictures up for this Thread as time goes on.

20210621_075405.jpg

• Like 1