Vehicle Rustproofing-yes or no?

airedale

As anyone that has purchased a new vehicle knows the dealership will try to sell you a rust proofing package. I have been online doing some research and see many like Consumer Reports say it is a waste of time and money, pure profit in the dealer's pocket. The vehicles built since 2006 are completely galvanized before painting and do not need it.Those selling the rust proofing of course say it is essential to keep a vehicle from rusting especially in areas such as New York that use road salt in the winter. Any opinions?

Al

Im not a new vehicle owner lol, but i would base it off of how long you plan on keeping the vehicle. If you plan to keep it forever, i probably would do some type of rust proof, every year Becuase this is new york and they are still rusting, a slong as you can afford it. If your not keeping it past 5 or 6 years I wouldnt, but thats me. Let it be someone elses problem. Though it may gain some value when it comes time to trade in as well. 

My buddy has a sprayer that he sprays his old motor oil under his truck every fall. Just puts a good coating all over the under side.  His truck is a 2001 silverado with no rust and 270,000 miles on it. 

• Like 2

I have heard of undercoating the car ... But never rustproofing ... When I buy a new car I agree on the price and monthly payments... When I pickup my new car the only extra I pay for is tax and title.... Anything else the dealer eats or I walk out...There is no haggle or wiggle room..

• Like 2

I bought a cavalier from florida about 7 or 8 years ago. I had the rust away sprayed on it . That car drives every winter a d doesn't get washed often and still has no rust on it . You can't find a 2005 cavalier in this area that isn't Swiss cheese.

• Like 1

I wouldnt have the dealer rust proof it, Id take it to Ziebart. Consumer Reports is full of you know what. You get just a tiny scratch in that galvanizing or paint, and rust will begin. Wanna see the fenders on my 2010 Ram? The original owner put some fender trims on it, which dug into the metal just a bit on the back side, and now I have rot holes in the same places where the clips were. As long as you never have a scratch or anything, it shouldnt rust, but how many cars have you daily driven that didnt get a scratch, nick, etc.

• Like 3

MEH!  Ive had it done on my wifes last car, seemed to show no rust.  My current car is a 14 and I didnt do any of that, I wash it periodically over the winter months, nothing major to report on the rust side of things.  My wife's current car same thing.

My mom's old Ford she had back in the early 2000's had one of those ionizer boxes installed, and that car had ZERO rust on it, even on stone chips and light scratches, there was no sign of rust.

I have the rhino liner on my bed since it was new. A 2005 ram 2500. the bed is in beautiful shape, but the steel underside is peeling rotting away. in spots the only thing keeping it in tact is the rhino liner. stuff is tough i will say! You wold never know unless you crawled underneath it. The cleats in the bed are only held on by the rhino lined currently lol. Steel is about gone.

My next vehicle i will be spraying motor oil underneath. I've seen it work now and seen these commercialized products fail. 

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I wouldnt have the dealer rust proof it, Id take it to Ziebart. Consumer Reports is full of you know what. You get just a tiny scratch in that galvanizing or paint, and rust will begin. Wanna see the fenders on my 2010 Ram? The original owner put some fender trims on it, which dug into the metal just a bit on the back side, and now I have rot holes in the same places where the clips were. As long as you never have a scratch or anything, it shouldnt rust, but how many cars have you daily driven that didnt get a scratch, nick, etc.

He certainly didnt do you any favors , those dodge beds are notorious for rotting around the wheel openings.

24 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I have the rhino liner on my bed since it was new. A 2005 ram 2500. the bed is in beautiful shape, but the steel underside is peeling rotting away. in spots the only thing keeping it in tact is the rhino liner. stuff is tough i will say! You wold never know unless you crawled underneath it. The cleats in the bed are only held on by the rhino lined currently lol. Steel is about gone.

My next vehicle i will be spraying motor oil underneath. I've seen it work now and seen these commercialized products fail. 

Be careful where you spray the oil ,not all rubber on vehicles is resistant to petroleum based oil.

2 hours ago, ny hunter said:

I have heard of undercoating the car ... But never rustproofing ... When I buy a new car I agree on the price and monthly payments... When I pickup my new car the only extra I pay for is tax and title.... Anything else the dealer eats or I walk out...There is no haggle or wiggle room..

exactly and when they mention undercoating tell them yes and throw that in for free as well ........great idea thanks !  

• Like 1

I just want to caution anyone that is considering it. I am not even going to comment on whether it is good or worth it. I will say to read the fine print on the warranty of the coating. Many need annual inspections and resprays for disturbed areas and if you miss one the warranty is void. And they charge annually for the inspection and touch up.  

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 4

By the way, if you do spot rust early, hit it with POR15.  It chemically bonds and is supposed to stop the spread.  I used it for motorcycle parts too as it is as durable as powder coating in my experience.  Crazy strong stuff but don't get it on your hands or you will be wearing it for several weeks.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

side question : My Uhaul receiver hitch is showing a little rust (have had it 6 years) . Wire brush the inside ,steel wool it, rustoleum ? 

I would wire brush and grease the inside. paint inside is a waste because it will never hold up.....unless you don't put a hitch in it...lol

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I just want to caution anyone that is considering it. I am not even going to comment on whether it is good or worth it. I will say to read the fine print on the warranty of the coating. Many need annual inspections and resprays for disturbed areas and if you miss one the warranty is void. And they charge annually for the inspection and touch up.  

Yes, you have to do the refresh to keep up the warranty. They dont all charge for it. My dad did 3 of his cars through Ziebart within the last 5 years and never had to pay for the annual stuff. Depending on how much a place charges for the annual, its still probably worth it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

side question : My Uhaul hitch receiver is showing a little rust (have had it 6 years) . Wire brush the inside ,steel wool it, rustoleum ? 

Bang it with a hammer, clear out any loose debris, then coat it with POR15 and then spray paint it black after the POR15 cures. POR15 will fade if you dont paint it or use their UV treatment.

• Like 1