Field to Fork Program for New Adult hunters.

58 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

One final note on the Field to Fork Program. It appears it is getting some pretty good national coverage. Not only the National's event but the other States including us. I don't think I can legally post the article but an article appeared in the January 9th Wall Street Journal under the title. "Put Down the Kombucha and Pick Up a Crossbow: Hipsters Are the New Hunters" 

I'll start a new thread for the 2019 program when we get it going. Thank you all for following along. Most of the participants have been on here lurking and they appreciate the positive feedback. 

So you don't get in trouble, article has been put up here....^_^

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/put-down-the-kombucha-pick-up-a-crossbow-hipsters-are-the-new-hunters.47323/

OMG you made cupcakes out of venison?! you guys are awesome!

seriously though you've got it figured out it seems for just being the first go around. next year should be easier program wise, despite the hunting will always be just that. we tried getting into another farmers market in a different county. problem is we were too well received, everybody that walked up to the table there had camo on! lol  you all definitely made it seem easy, not to sound ignorant. wish you the same success this year.

Actually one of the participants made the cupcakes. Not venison but damn they were fantastic. They were not only frosted and topped but filled. I’ll tell you I had to roll myself out of that cabin. I was stuffed. Everyone’s dishes were fantastic. Not sure if I mentioned it in previous post but we are asking all the participants and the mentors/instructors to give us their recipes for each dish. We are going to put them together and hand them out to each subsequent class and keep adding to the cookbook. That way each class is contributing to the future ones.

I was nervous going into this. Something new. I’ve taken others out and got them hunting before but not in a very formal setting. The classes and hunter education and range time is the easy part. Getting the mentors to step up is the challenge. What we did with our program that some of the others didn’t was to keep it small. (By accident really because only 7 put up the deposit. 5 could only do it). The small class let us all get to know everyone. There was a connection and we were able to take them on multiple hunts to give them as much of a chance to get a deer and learn as much as we could push to them. I won’t support going to a bigger class and just doing one big bulk one day hunt and having it be done. I really like how it worked out and hope it goes as smoothly next year.

With the articles I am seeing emails form people that want to participate not only as students but as mentors and with property to hunt. Some of them out your way. I’d be willing to bet any branch that wanted to do it could place students in a class next year with very little effort given the press its received.
You guys need any assistance just holler.
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Actually one of the participants made the cupcakes. Not venison but damn they were fantastic. They were not only frosted and topped but filled. I’ll tell you I had to roll myself out of that cabin. I was stuffed. Everyone’s dishes were fantastic. Not sure if I mentioned it in previous post but we are asking all the participants and the mentors/instructors to give us their recipes for each dish. We are going to put them together and hand them out to each subsequent class and keep adding to the cookbook. That way each class is contributing to the future ones.

I was nervous going into this. Something new. I’ve taken others out and got them hunting before but not in a very formal setting. The classes and hunter education and range time is the easy part. Getting the mentors to step up is the challenge. What we did with our program that some of the others didn’t was to keep it small. (By accident really because only 7 put up the deposit. 5 could only do it). The small class let us all get to know everyone. There was a connection and we were able to take them on multiple hunts to give them as much of a chance to get a deer and learn as much as we could push to them. I won’t support going to a bigger class and just doing one big bulk one day hunt and having it be done. I really like how it worked out and hope it goes as smoothly next year.

With the articles I am seeing emails form people that want to participate not only as students but as mentors and with property to hunt. Some of them out your way. I’d be willing to bet any branch that wanted to do it could place students in a class next year with very little effort given the press its received.
You guys need any assistance just holler.

i get it. the logistics of the getting people together and doing it as a group is definitely a challenge for all the stuff we do.  We've mentored new hunters in the past just not in such a formal PR'ed setting as you've said. i think we just need some help getting new hunters, sending any our way would certainly help if they're from our area.  don't think our branch is giving up on the farmers markets but so far it just isn't working.  only finding polar opposites here in the capital region. I might start trolling social media for locavore type of pages to assist those in our branch spear heading this.  access to property is harder here in NY than down in southern states with larger tracts dedicated to hunting with more tags and deer density. you guys are even better off in that sense than we are.  i mean DEC has expected just 3 doe taken per square mile here with DMP tag allocations to support that. we'll keep the smaller class idea in mind. though i imagine we'll run with it once we have a small group.

21 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Wish I was closer to help out. 

if you or anyone else following this have an interest in participating as a host, mentor or branch volunteer, there should be programs sprouting up in the other branches as well. 

The person to contact about what may be near you is our Regional Director, Mike Edwards, [email protected]

Drop him a line and mention me and the Hunting NY site. 

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

if you or anyone else following this have an interest in participating as a host, mentor or branch volunteer, there should be programs sprouting up in the other branches as well. 

The person to contact about what may be near you is our Regional Director, Mike Edwards, [email protected]

Drop him a line and mention me and the Hunting NY site. 

The major driver in the Hudson Valley chapter moved down south and they have struggled a bit maintaining a presence in the area.

I got them a donated 6x12 trailer and helped out on a food plot equipment program intended for use by chapter members and have no idea what happened to the equipment and the donor of the trailer got excluded in the thank you's and I was none too happy about it.

Good to see someone following through and doing things right.

Personally I don't have access to any productive private land for deer and hunting state land in Dutchess county could turn out to be a frustrating endeavor for a new hunter. I just dabble a bit now here and there.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2

The major driver in the Hudson Valley chapter moved down south and they have struggled a bit maintaining a presence in the area.
I got them a donated 6x12 trailer and helped out on a food plot equipment program intended for use by chapter members and have no idea what happened to the equipment and the donor of the trailer got excluded in the thank you's and I was none too happy about it.
Personally I don't have access to any productive private land for deer and hunting state land in Dutchess county could turn out to be a frustrating endeavor for a new hunter. I just dabble a bit now here and there.

Totally understand.

On 1/15/2019 at 5:58 PM, Dinsdale said:

not sure what the situation is for the branch to the south but if you folks down that way aren't having much luck getting it from them feel free to contact me (Upper Hudson River Valley branch). We've setup a spot to receive and store seed for this region of NY. I can meet anyone in Albany not far from I-87/I-90 exit 24 for seed pickup during week days. I did so for some last year.
Dan
518-892-9609

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not to pull up an old thread from a couple years ago but I felt it should go here and not in a new thread. 

A picture of Greater Rochester branch, 2018 Field to Fork participant Tanya Zwahlen and her first deer is featured in NYS DEC Hunting and Trapping Newsletter announcing the start of license sales and other programs. We are looking forward to the 2020 program (even in a modified format), but the first class of 2018 will always hold a special place with us. We learned as much from them as they did from us.
If you know of any adult looking to get into hunting and provide great wholesome protein for themselves and their family, have them message us on Facebook (GRSTQDMA) or at [email protected]

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 3