Field to Fork Program for New Adult hunters.

On August 25th the branch in conjunction with Cornell Cooperative Extension will have a table at the Rochester Public Market 9 am to 1 pm. This will be our kick off of the Field to Fork program that will be trying to identify individuals that are looking for nutritional food that they have taken, processed, and cooked themselves. Hunting can seem like an enormous undertaking when you have never been exposed to it before. That is where this program comes in. We are looking for 12 adults to sign up that have never hunted before. We will be holding a few evening classes to teach ethics, deer biology, the hunting tradition and more (September 11th and 25th from 7pm-9pm+/-), conducting range practice with choice of rifle or crossbow Date to be  determined base on participants schedules), providing the NYS Hunter Education course (Dedicated course for participants on September 22nd), taking the participants out on mentored deer hunts and if successful, teaching them how to process and cook this antibiotic and hormone free, free range nutritional protein. Everything needed to participate in this program will be provided and there will be venison dishes to enjoy at each of the gatherings during this program. Each participant will need to commit to the schedule and must attend all portions of the program to participate in the hunts. They will also need boots and appropriate clothing for warmth (Camo not required). Each participant will have to provide a $50 deposit that will be refunded if they complete all the components of he program. All firearms, Ammo license fees, QDMA 1 year membership etc. will be provided by the branch. Please pass this along to anyone that may be interested and stop out to see us on August 25 to sign up. There will be snack sticks and jerky there to sample.

• Like 12

I applaud the effort. There are far too many people who think that a piece of meat in a styrofoam foam tray covered with Saran wrap in the grocery store is a "natural environment". People, especially the younger folks, are starting to get it. They should be encouraged in any way possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

Where will the hunts take place?  Did QDMA chapter members find some private lands for them to hunt?

We will be basically taking them so some of our members properties. So it will be private and controlled. Many of the members have restrictions they use on themselves but they all are waiving them for the participants.  What I would really love to have is a contact where I could get them out on nuisance permits so the success rate would be higher, less pressure and nicer weather. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well wanted to update on this. We had a very warm reception at the Market and only 4 days after that we have 8 participants that have signed up and paid their deposit. I believe it will fill up based on the people I have spoken with that gave up contact info at the market. BUT until I get the deposit I'll not count my chickens.  I am actually surprised by the make up of the class at this point. 

2 male young adults in early 20's

1 married couple in their early to mid 30's

3 solo women in early 30's to mid 40's

1 male in his mid 50's

That is half the class that is female. I expected a wide age range but not that heavily female. In my correspondence with them, they seem the most excited about this. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Wonder why that is?

We wanted to get into Glens Falls but couldn't.  Not sure the exact reasons if it was anti-hunting sentiment based or technicality. Still trying to get all the information. We've got a lot of irons in the fire right now.

Edited by dbHunterNY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This weekend Saturday we had the NYS Hunter Education class for the participants. It was a full day and I was glad i sat through it too. There were a couple things on the laws that I honestly didn't know had changed. I guess this old dog still can learn a few new tricks. The participants did GREAT and were very engaged. Our branch Secretary/Treasurer doesn't hunt but she sat through the course as well. I am really lobbying to get her involved but she just wanted to have a good understanding of what we all are talking about during our meetings. We had a break at lunch and enjoyed some very fine venison dishes. We had venison chili and venison empanadas.  Well my diet went out the window that day becasue it was all delicious. After the test we headed out the the instructors property nearby and had some hands on gun safety and shooting. We also did some tree stand safety and demonstrations. 

Some of the participants had never squeezed a trigger before. Some had very limited experience. I can't tell you how well they all did but the pics with those smiles about say about all that needs to be said. 

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1039.thumb.JPG.f59f816ef2a9bd89c4cf7fc0de8528e1.JPG

IMG_1041.thumb.JPG.3f1fa364531552e7b1efe5c91e402b3a.JPG

IMG_1042.thumb.JPG.ef22e8668547f2764d697068bce145b9.JPG

IMG_1044.thumb.JPG.15e41321aae99c61a9fcdfc4d98b39e6.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Culver. I was just talking to my wife about this last night. Our neighbors daughter is into helping her dad make jerky and their mother can't figure out why. I told her there's a good movement right now that is getting younger kids into the woods as they desire to learn more about and take control over what goes into their bodies. And that there's a certain amount of pride and enjoyment in the whole process. That and a big mess and a sore back after you're done cutting up a whole deer if you don't  get any help lol.

• Like 1

Last night was our last class. We covered a lot about shot placement and shot angles. Field dressing and some processing. We also discussed what they can expect on the hunt and how to prepare. We have a date picked out for the range day (October 7th) to shoot the rifles/shotguns they will be hunting with. I lost our "range" that I had access too so I am scrambling a bit to find access someplace. 

Today and tomorrow night I am meeting the participants and we are buying them their licenses and DMP's. They are pretty excited bunch. 

• Like 3