Field to Fork Program for New Adult hunters.

8 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Last night was our last class. We covered a lot about shot placement and shot angles. Field dressing and some processing. We also discussed what they can expect on the hunt and how to prepare. We have a date picked out for the range day (October 7th) to shoot the rifles/shotguns they will be hunting with. I lost our "range" that I had access too so I am scrambling a bit to find access someplace. 

Today and tomorrow night I am meeting the participants and we are buying them their licenses and DMP's. They are pretty excited bunch. 

This is what giving back to the hunting community is all about.

• Like 1

Well all 5 of the participants drew BOTH their Doe tags for the areas we submitted in. We also will be hitting a few properties in 8H but we didn't draw there. Figured we would wait until November 1 to pick those up on the second drawing. 

Since they don't have camo or hunting clothes and they have never been in stands, we will be using hunting blinds for the most part. A few properties have box style blinds that we will use but to fit the hunter and Mentor in a blind we just picked up these to use. Getting good reviews and  I love the size. Plus waterproof. I like not being tied to a window and being able to have the horizontal "slit" at about any height you want for the shooter.

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/5815428380498169840_5560194375744152540_1699011?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt,eid-4160052,eid-ygcnqnyulq&gtim=CP_Irev5tIyK2AEQkI-A0KnLlf8pGPC6gnsiA1VTRCiQzNXdBQ&utm_campaign=1699011&gclid=CjwKCAjworfdBRA7EiwAKX9HePhFn6OIcG6LSIoNg4LRwBxTnaLM2Tie7trdmuJPL-i8ZiK5gE_bdhoC3zQQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This past Sunday afternoon we had our Range Day with the participants of the Field to Fork Program.

A very special thank you to the Springwater Rod and Gun Club for allowing us to use the facilities for this outing. 
(The pictures are in order of the narrative below) I hope they don't post sideways

We started out he Afternoon unpacking, setting up targets and getting everything laid out. We reviewed the Gun safety rules and explained how the day would play out. Each participant was presented their hunter orange QDMA hat and vest to be worn on the upcoming mentored hunts. The branch bought each participant a Case Finn hunting knife. A friend of the branch (Thank you Sergio) donated a set of Peltor Tactical 100 Electronic Hearing Protector for each of them. These are auto cut out for gun shots and enhances low level noise for conversations or hearing that big buck sneaking in..lol.

These folks have never fired anything bigger than a 22LR . If you followed our posts you remember they handled those very well. They did the same here and we are very proud of how they took to each firearm they shot. When we brought out a gun they could be using we described all the functions and demonstrated how the gun shot. We wanted them to see what the recoil of each looked like and how it wasn't what they see in the movies.

We started of with an Encore in .223. A good "tweener" from 22LR to the deer hunting rounds. All the participants worked their way up in caliber and discovered their own comfort level on where to stop the progression and focus on that gun in practice. The ladies opted for the 243's and the gents worked through the 308 win, 'ought6 and the 12 gauge slug gun. We closely worked with each shooter and kept reinforcing the proper form and trigger squeeze. We shot at 50 and 100 yards. I really think they surprised themselves. We did give a little dose or reality when we put them in some shooting positions that would mimic how they may be shooting in the field. seated with shooting sticks, on just a supported ledge on the forearm and of course freehand. I think it gave them an appreciation on why we kept emphasizing to try an take advantage of any support feature you can to take the shot.

I really think if we do our job as mentors and get then in a situation with deer we will have 5 successful hunts. 

On to the hunts and harvest photos.

1.jpg

2.jpg

2-5.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

As part of our Field to Fork program we had hoped to show the participants how to skin and butcher a deer before the firearms season started. Up until Saturday the deer didn't seem the understand our schedule and our mentors had not connected with a deer that we could demonstrate on. On Saturday morning I was lucky enough to get a good buck and I sent out a group text for butchering on Sunday. 3 participants were able to make it and we went through skinning, breaking the deer down into major muscle groups and trimming and processing into good wholesome food for the table. In the one picture is our 3 participants Kati, Braden and Ryan giving a little "cheers salute" with their first sample of fried heart. It was a hit and I commend them for stepping outside their comfort zone to give it a try. That attitude is what will make them successful hunters. Stay tuned in for some pics of their deer throughout the season.

It always takes longer to properly instruct someone rather than doing it yourself but what I kept stressing to them was "you can't screw it up". Break it into muscles and let your fingers show you where to make the cuts.  Worse case scenario, if you handled the deer properly while gutting, transporting and hanging, you get delicious ground and stew meat.  If you want steaks, cut across the grain. They did a wonderful job and even if they choose to take their deer to a butcher in the future, they have done it and would be able to in a pinch. 

Heart tasting.JPG

IMG-1128.JPG

IMG-1335.JPG

IMG-1130.JPG

IMG-1131.JPG

IMG-1129.JPG

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

sounds like you gave them great advice Bob. still a little disheartened our branch couldn't make it work this year. our branch should've not gotten so hung up on making the farmer's market work and "going by the book". you guys are doing great!

Thanks. It's been a lot of work but very enjoyable. We aren't really doing it like National or some other states did. We won't all be hunting one property on the same day. We wanted a smallish class  to be able to give them multiple outings with different mentors and on different properties. Hopefully to get them all at least a deer by season end. they have a pocket full of DMP's in varying areas so I hope it goes well. We already have 8 on next years waiting list.  If popularity continues to grow about the program it may just end up being a word of mouth thing and other branches can pick up participants too. 

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Thanks. It's been a lot of work but very enjoyable. We aren't really doing it like National or some other states did. We won't all be hunting one property on the same day. We wanted a smallish class  to be able to give them multiple outings with different mentors and on different properties. Hopefully to get them all at least a deer by season end. they have a pocket full of DMP's in varying areas so I hope it goes well. We already have 8 on next years waiting list.  If popularity continues to grow about the program it may just end up being a word of mouth thing and other branches can pick up participants too. 

pocket full of DMPs is helpful too. we've got co-ops with DMAPs but DMPs are in short supply out this way. good to hear it's going over well. some other states definitely make it easier to recruit hunters. Georgia seemed to be well setup from the teleconference. it's a process and commitment for someone to get into hunting here in NY.

5 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

pocket full of DMPs is helpful too. we've got co-ops with DMAPs but DMPs are in short supply out this way. good to hear it's going over well. some other states definitely make it easier to recruit hunters. Georgia seemed to be well setup from the teleconference. it's a process and commitment for someone to get into hunting here in NY.

Their apprenticeship program is great. No hunter education class required if the apprentice is directly with a licensed mentor.  Makes it easier to get someone out. 

16 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Their apprenticeship program is great. No hunter education class required if the apprentice is directly with a licensed mentor.  Makes it easier to get someone out. 

i'll have to look into that. our treasurer is a hunter ed instructor and works for county 4-H. he must know about that. i do know we needed a bare minimum and then he could hold a hunter ed class.

1 minute ago, dbHunterNY said:

i'll have to look into that. our treasurer is a hunter ed instructor and works for county 4-H. he must know about that. i do know we needed a bare minimum and then he could hold a hunter ed class.

That was Georgia's apprentice program. For the record there is NO minimum on the number of people attending a hunter ed class. if you have the instructor they can set up a PRIVATE class just for participants. That is what we did. just our 5 participants and our Secretary/Treasurer. 6 students

• Like 1

As part of our Field to Fork program we had hoped to show the participants how to skin and butcher a deer before the firearms season started. Up until Saturday the deer didn't seem the understand our schedule and our mentors had not connected with a deer that we could demonstrate on. On Saturday morning I was lucky enough to get a good buck and I sent out a group text for butchering on Sunday. 3 participants were able to make it and we went through skinning, breaking the deer down into major muscle groups and trimming and processing into good wholesome food for the table. In the one picture is our 3 participants Kati, Braden and Ryan giving a little "cheers salute" with their first sample of fried heart. It was a hit and I commend them for stepping outside their comfort zone to give it a try. That attitude is what will make them successful hunters. Stay tuned in for some pics of their deer throughout the season.
It always takes longer to properly instruct someone rather than doing it yourself but what I kept stressing to them was "you can't screw it up". Break it into muscles and let your fingers show you where to make the cuts.  Worse case scenario, if you handled the deer properly while gutting, transporting and hanging, you get delicious ground and stew meat.  If you want steaks, cut across the grain. They did a wonderful job and even if they choose to take their deer to a butcher in the future, they have done it and would be able to in a pinch. 

1361184484_Hearttasting.thumb.JPG.965b4307876051ec9333a5f0935b09c5.JPG
IMG-1128.thumb.JPG.090479dd7b2c4617b493622cbeac2915.JPG
IMG-1335.thumb.JPG.b2f0956474ad47b0a1820f449ee5f3fc.JPG
IMG-1130.thumb.JPG.acd744667dcb243c86ea443b48b43ed6.JPG
IMG-1131.thumb.JPG.10906efe1d095bc0eb481dc05a2bb975.JPG
IMG-1129.thumb.JPG.5e6efb738d3d522e0cabd2c45719e9ac.JPG

Freaking love this. You could probably teach most members some things.

Like how to fry a heart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Belo said:

Freaking love this. You could probably teach most members some things.

Like how to fry a heart emoji16.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really is super easy to prepare and cook it so it is delicious. I really keep it simple. I try to always have a 1 gallon zip lock in my pack to put the heart and liver in. IN the field remove the heart and cut off about half way down the fat ring on the top of the heart.  This gets rid of most or the tough and hard valves and such. When i get out of the woods i take a knife and  insert from the top of the heart into each chamber and open it up. Rinse it thoroughly to remove and blood and clots. With a sharp knife trim off the outside fat ring at the top of the heart.  inside the heart you will see lots of little white filaments  and trim those off with all their connection points. now take the heart and slice it like you would a pepper for a vegetable dipping tray (lengthwise slices). Keep the slices uniform and i like them about 1/2" thick. Sunday I didn't have fresh garlic so I sprinkled generous garlic powder, pepper and touch of salt on all sides of the heart strips.  Then into the hot frying pan with butter.  keep turning until center is medium at the MOST. It's gotta be at least a little pink. I have also sprinkled a bit of cayenne with the other spices before frying if you like a little kick. Then eat it up. I don't use anything but some folks like ketchup. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Story to follow but the first field to fork deer is down. Ryan was a rock.....until after the shot. Lola3d299b1cfece03d60992ef607018e11.jpg52ef46fb1d048a8ce78aa1041df85b37.jpg20181117/409fff6a9914702ebcb0ee97534e1927.jpg[/img]

Talk about giving back.  Just so awesome 10,000 likes!  And what a first buck.  Guys go their entire life without shooting one that nice.  

• Like 1