Cod Fishing in Montauk

helmut in the bush

Been years since I went for Cod out of Montauk. Latest I have done recently is a post Thanksgiving striper trip once herring came in. Reports have looked solid for the past few years, but I have zero desire to be that cold again. If you need advice on a head boat to go out on let me know.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used to love cod fishing,but the last few years I've been getting sea sick so I haven't done much of any boat fishing.It was great to get out in the winter months and catch fish.I loved every aspect of it getting there early staying out all day.The cold never bothered me much but a few of the guys I went with always complained about it.I've been on straight up blood baths to trips where you had to work for them still all fun times.I always kept it simple with bait but there where a few trips where the jig guys did better.The plus for me was all the weird fish that would come up lemon flounder.sculpin,monkfish,cunners and puffer eels[?] 

I fish on a lot of boats out of Montauk,but always liked the atmosphere on the viking fleet

62.png

45.png

48.png

• Like 1

Agreed on Viking fleet. They run dailies for cod I believe and have another boat that I believe does multi day trips out to George's bank for overnighters, I think also targeting tile, hake and others.

I believe Miss Montauk and Ebb Tides flip to cod in the winters as well, but I don't know if they fish as regularly as the Vikings. Fished the miss and would recommend. Never been on the ebb tides.

If you are looking for a charter instead I can give you a couple to call when you are ready.

• Like 1

ahhh yes now your talking. I've been codfishing  for 40 yrs always in the winter freeport to Gloucester mass. the capt al was my boat  back in the day  when you fished all day in 12 deg to catch one maybe two fish but not like now  with the pool fish maybe 12lbs .Most fish were in the twenties and thirties and the pool fish always went 35 -40 lbs not that always we got fish but when we did they were BIG COD, but lately I like the Viking fleet. One boat mentioned above I went on once and WILL NEVER EVER fish on it again the mate say the fair was $110 I gave him $120 and he walks away, I ask hey where my change and he caught an attitude ' Always tip 20% and many times more than that

• Like 1

Yeah. My experience with the mates in Montauk has been more hit or miss recently. (As Montauk has changed so has the people working there.) I took second place in the pool on a recent night bass trip and the mate gave us attitude before handing over the money saying it is typical to tip out of the pool. We both told him this wasn't our first rodeo and knew the deal. We let the captain know and I think that was the last trip for that mate.

I'll post some recommendations on charters to check out. My son works a local marina there and can tell who has been putting fish on the deck.

• Like 1

I don't care much for the party-boat thing. But if anyone is interested in setting up a charter to fish in Montauk or MA for cod or haddock, I'd definitely be in. Everything I've seen so far says you don't necessarily have to go in the dead of winter, depending where you want to fish, the season runs most of the year.

Recommendations for charters in no order:

At Montauk Marine Basin:
Blue Crush Charters
Elizabeth II
Professional Cryer
Sea Wife

At Westlake Marina:
Suzie E
November Rain

Google them to get their details and give them a call. Each captain is a little different so you can shop around for what's the best fit. My son says each sets out regularly and comes back with happy customers.

Fishing has slowed down a bit over last few weeks inshore, but expect it to pick back up with full moon this weekend.

Tarheel, I'd like to hear any charter suggestions you have. Been itching for a fall trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Recommendations for charters in no order:

At Montauk Marine Basin:
Blue Crush Charters
Elizabeth II
Professional Cryer
Sea Wife

At Westlake Marina:
Suzie E
November Rain

Google them to get their details and give them a call. Each captain is a little different so you can shop around for what's the best fit. My son says each sets out regularly and comes back with happy customers.

Fishing has slowed down a bit over last few weeks inshore, but expect it to pick back up with full moon this weekend.

Sweet. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk