Wool clothing

Salmon_Run

Well no wool but I do wear llbean Maine hunting boots ,they are the taller ones I think it's 14in high. My first paired lasted more then 20 years and resoled a time or two. My new pair is now on year two or three, the leather of yester Year was better then leather of today I will say. They are warm with wool sock to 25-30 degrees if I'm sitting. 

• Like 2

I have some “vintage” woolies handed down from my old man. I actually wear the red check shirtjac around a lot as street clothes when the weather turns but I don’t hunt in that stuff. Mostly just a weight thing for me. I’d love to get my hands on some of the First Lite merino outerwear but it’s still a little too pricey for me.

I do run the Bean boots though. I’ve got the mid-calf ones with the removable goretex liners. They’re probably my favorite still hunting boots. I’ll switch them out with light hikers if it’s warm or if there’s much snow. Otherwise the Bean boots are my go-to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I used to live near the Woolrich factory, so I have LOTS of their clothing.  They used to have amazing sales on surplus and "seconds".  I will still wear a "Pennsylvania Tuxedo" on some days during gun season.  They are heavy if walking but nice on stand.

• Like 3

I wear wool, I have a few sets of varying weights and colors. I think everything I have now is Johnson or silent predator. Don’t wear wool jackets because I get too hot, usually a fleece jacket or wool shirt is all I ever wear.

As for bean boots, I think they’re about the worst hunting boots every made, the “tread” is absolutely useless in wet snow, the leather is squeaky when wet and if you get them wet they take forever to dry!

I have tried many different kinds of boots even spent big money and bought konetreck’s although they’re by far the best boot I have ever owned I don’t like them for tracking/still hunting because the soles too stiff to feel sticks under my feet.

I wear lacrosse grange “were called chores” uninsulated unless it’s below 10deg then I wear the burly’s. I love my rubber boots don’t know why I try others because nothing has compared, they’re light, dry, comfortable, if you get them wet dump me out change your socks and you’re good to keep going. The only bad part about the lacrosse’s is I only get a year out of them but I wear them daily around the house.

I put a couple wraps of electrical tape around my pant leg around my ankles over my boots to keep my wool pants from clumping up snow and ice and also to keep water out if I go in water over my boots.

• Like 3

When I find a proven winner I tend to stick with it and wool hunting clothes have always performed well for me. They do have to be cleaned properly and they are heavier than some of the modern stuff but their overall performance has not caused me to switch when the weather is cold even though at almost 70 years old, wool still does not weigh me down.

I have the heavy weight red plaid Woolrich outfit and a lighter Bean camo outfit, wool sweaters and a vest along with various brands of good wool socks for my feet topped off by a Stormy Kromer and Bean wool hat. As for boots I have a couple of pair of Bean hunting boots that I like but I do not wear them exclusively.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cedar+Canvas said:

I’d love to get my hands on some of the First Lite merino outerwear but it’s still a little too pricey for me.

I have a few First Lite items....Rain jacket, kanab pants, a zip base layer top, gloves. I bought some close outs and I really like the weight.

I have a few First Lite items....Rain jacket, kanab pants, a zip base layer top, gloves. I bought some close outs and I really like the weight.

I’ve been keeping a close eye on some the clearance items. The Kanab pants (or whatever the comparable model is now) look like they’d cover a lot of seasons for me. You wear them in warmer temps?

19 minutes ago, Cedar+Canvas said:

I’ve been keeping a close eye on some the clearance items. The Kanab pants (or whatever the comparable model is now) look like they’d cover a lot of seasons for me. You wear them in warmer temps?

To me they were lighter in weight than I expected which turned out to be great for layering; so yes, on their own they are good for mild weather. I think they are an early 2.0 that I know was revamped. I go to synthetics for hot weather.

Linton Outdoors seems to get a bunch of their stuff for sales. Most helpful on phone with folks that actually use gear they sell. But it comes in bunches not the whole line in the discount bin. But they do run whole line sales too that are pretty decent.

I like Icebreaker brand too, but its no longer made in New Zealand.

• Like 1

Not sure where I hunt constitutes "Big Woods Hunting" but I wear wool almost exclusively for deer hunting and have for 30 years. 

King of The Mountain pants, belt, suspenders, vest, hooded sweatshirt and a couple different hats round out the set, accumulated in the late 80's and early 90's.  I had a Bowman I didn't like much and a couple of the shirts that came and went.........

Great stuff and worth the price, considering the years of use I've got out of them.  As far as cleaning, I've never had a single piece cleaned.  Heavy duty mud/blood/guts/deer pee etc are all cleaned by Mother Nature when you hunt in the rain or snow. 

Late last fall I got a First Lite Sanctuary jacket, I was looking for something for the coldest and nastiest days of archery and gun.  It should easily be quiet enough for bow.  I had a gal at work do some sewing work on the pockets as they sucked; elastic cinches in the two handwarmer pockets would limit my hands from going in with a release on or even light knit gloves.  After she was done they sucked a little less......

I hope to give it a full workout this fall.  (oh and it IS warm as toast)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Salmon_Run said:

"big woods" for the sake of this thread was in the Adirondack Mountains (Northern Zone) and traditional green/black wool plaid and such...

Well, my post was intended to inform people you can get 100% wool, light weight clothing, but it's not cheap. I bet people could still hunt with the old plaid wool jackets and pants in red or green, some were lined, you would still kill deer.

So If I strayed from the original post I apologize. 

• Like 1

No my dad use to. I'm not even sure what it's made of  but I often use a blaze camo jacket that's a blend of polyester and wool I think , all I know is its warm as heck and not very bulky . I also use wool socks and have a bunch of wool shirts I use I keep a bunch of extra close in the vehicle to adjust for the weather usally 

Edited by Storm914

elastic cinches in the two handwarmer pockets would limit my hands from going in with a release on or even light knit gloves. 

Very interesting to hear about that First Lite jacket. Did you reach out to the about that? Seems like a bit of an oversight considering they’re on the higher end. I wouldn’t be shocked if hooked you up with a little something in exchange for your feedback...

I like Icebreaker brand too, but its no longer made in New Zealand.

Thanks, that’s great info about the First Lite sale stuff. I guess I’m officially in the market now.

I’ve got a bunch of old Icebreaker and Smartwool base layers that I rotate pretty much every day once gun season open up North. That’s the stuff the really opened my eyes to merino. Hard to go back to synthetics for me...

My long time fav wool is a jacket from Beaglewear. Sadly, they went TU.

I sadly retired my beaglewear pants last year do to the crotch being completely gone. It was a very sad day for me those pants and I killed a lot of bucks together and went many miles. I still have the jacket that’s like new I have only worn it a few times too heavy for me for hunting but wear it around the house once in a while.

58 minutes ago, Cedar+Canvas said:

Very interesting to hear about that First Lite jacket. Did you reach out to the about that? Seems like a bit of an oversight considering they’re on the higher end. I wouldn’t be shocked if hooked you up with a little something in exchange for your feedback...

No I didn't but should could might. :)

• Like 1