Wool clothing

Salmon_Run

On 8/22/2018 at 3:59 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

As for bean boots, I think they’re about the worst hunting boots every made, the “tread” is absolutely useless in wet snow, the leather is squeaky when wet and if you get them wet they take forever to dry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someone had to say it... i don't think i've fallen on my ass more with any other boot.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2018 at 7:03 PM, Cedar+Canvas said:

I’ve been keeping a close eye on some the clearance items. The Kanab pants (or whatever the comparable model is now) look like they’d cover a lot of seasons for me. You wear them in warmer temps?

There is a First Lite group on facebook where you might be able to find some deals  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1751547405059711/?ref=group_header 

• Like 1

I have had a handful of Bean boots, yes the Maine Hunting Shoe. 3 pairs I’d guess plus a pair of the pac boots.  Zero support for your feet IMO, cold and wear like crap. 

My first pair I porobably got in the early 80’s then a couple more in the 90’s......I’ll pass on them.  As a matter of fact, I have a pair of size 9 medium width I need to sell for a friend.  Maybe I’ll list them tonight ??

I have worn Bean boots for years, just bought me a new insulated pair last year. I treat the leather on all my boots with Obenauf's and they stay dry inside and supple in most conditions I hunt in. Maybe I am sure footed or something but other than walking in icy conditions I do not have any problems with slipping and falling.:taunt:

Al

001.JPG

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 4:51 PM, left field said:

Asbell users - I'm considering a pullover, how did you determine size? Anorak or Pathfinder?

I like my bean boots but after a few hours the bottom of my feet are killing me. Need more support.

Used their measurements. I'm a BIG guy so I crossed my fingers. Fits well. 

I hear they will also do custom for an upcharge if you contact them.

47 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have worn Bean boots for years, just bought me a new insulated pair last year. I treat the leather on all my boots with Obenauf's and they stay dry inside and supple in most conditions I hunt in. Maybe I am sure footed or something but other than walking in icy conditions I do not have any problems with slipping.:taunt:

Al

001.JPG

Snazzy looking !!

When new, the Chain Tread were pretty good but I found they wore out fast, had them rebuilt numerous times too.

I hope yours last years and are bloodied soon!

• Like 1

I have a lot of wool. and love it, but find I don't wear it as much as I used to. If I am sitting on stand there is nothing I love more than my Johnson wool parka, it just feels like..."home". I wear a wool jack/shirt frequently when I am still hunting...nothing quieter. If it is wet out though, and I like to hunt the slop, I am going to have my Goretex parka and bibs on.

If I am stand hunting, I want my rubber packs. If I am still hunting, I love Bean style boots. I think the sole design is better for sneaking around, but you have to be aware of your footing.

Maybe I am sure footed or something but other than walking in icy conditions I do not have any problems with slipping and falling.default_taunt.gif
Al
001.thumb.JPG.ddfc81fe9916db75e653611cedbf9770.JPG

That’s been my experience too. I’ve got them with the goretex/thinsulate liner and they’re bone dry and warm. Sometimes I think they’re warmer than an insulated boot because they’re basically layered. I have definitely wiped out with them on a few times but a lot of times, snow on an incline is not good. Generally the dry/warm/weight keeps them in the mix for me. It’s a nostalgia thing for sure too though. Fond memories of my dad and uncles lacing them up when I was still a kid wearing whatever hand-me-downs came from my cousins.

Anybody here ever tried Schnee’s? They’re not cheap but look pretty sweet. Like Bean Boots with a more legit tread.

d4fe11839aa6f032a1b0c547f344d824.jp2&key=caf39409288000da12ec8212207dc69a20a2a2d8799afa8cfeb289e2d95dde69

Those look heavy!!!

I couldn’t imagine wearing them.

What’s your guys problem with rubber boots? If it’s not super cold these are all I wear. I haven’t found a better boot for still hunting yet.530c6b3077ad5a9a21d437c6176e2bed.png

• Like 1

I think so, I hate mucks because they feel sloshy on my ankles!

I second that on the sloshy feeling. I’ve got a set of mucks I’ll wear during spring turkey if I’m on a farm but I never deer hunt in them.

I’ve also been curious about the Lacrosse rubbers. Heard a lot of guys swear by them and the simplicity seems appealing.

I have a pair of Schnee’s Extremes. They have held up well; thinking I got these in November 2014 so four hunting seasons on them.  

They are fairly warm for stand hunting but I still need toe warmers for the longer sits in cold weather. 

Traction can’t be beat with these.......

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Those look heavy!!!

I couldn’t imagine wearing them.

What’s your guys problem with rubber boots? If it’s not super cold these are all I wear. I haven’t found a better boot for still hunting yet.530c6b3077ad5a9a21d437c6176e2bed.png

So what do you wear when it’s supper cold??