Dragging or Packing?

Cedar+Canvas

Depends, I have dragged miles and carried hundreds of yards.

I would rather drag but I think I have carried more out.

My kill kit is simple 8’x8’ piece of tyveck house wrap ironed and vacuum sealed into a bag that fits in my pocket, 2 garbage bags also vacuumed sealed and a packable pack that’s made of parachute material that fits in a cargo pocket. I should have bought 10 of these packs when I bought mine because I have never found another and would love a spare. It’s not comfortable to carry but is plenty big enough to put 4 quarters and back straps in.

I can’t stand carrying a big pack while still hunting/tracking and this is what I have found works best for me. I like to be as light as possible with nothing more than a small fanny pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Depends, I have dragged miles and carried hundreds of yards.

I would rather drag but I think I have carried more out.

My kill kit is simple 8’x8’ piece of tyveck house wrap ironed and vacuum sealed into a bag that fits in my pocket, 2 garbage bags also vacuumed sealed and a packable pack that’s made of parachute material that fits in a cargo pocket. I should have bought 10 of these packs when I bought mine because I have never found another and would love a spare. It’s not comfortable to carry but is plenty big enough to put 4 quarters and back straps in.

I can’t stand carrying a big pack while still hunting/tracking and this is what I have found works best for me. I like to be as light as possible with nothing more than a small fanny pack.

Man that’s a cool sounding rig! I love the idea of vac sealing tarp/garbage bags/game bags. Thanks for sharing that.

• Like 2

In the big woods of NY state, where the base elevation is low and the air is rich in oxygen, I can't imagine too many situations where packing would be advantageous.  That is not the case out west, up in the Rockies.   I survived dragging one mule deer out there, about five miles through some steep terrain, and that was enough to convince me to never try that again.   The thin air out there makes dragging very rough on the uphill stretches.   I might not have made it, had I not killed my deer at the end of the week, so I had that long to get my lungs somewhat conditioned.   The older guys, who got their deer earlier in the week, all packed out what they could carry on their first trip (just the hide and horns), and got help from the rest of us to pack the meat out.    

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

In the big woods of NY state, where the base elevation is low and the air is rich in oxygen, I can't imagine too many situations where packing would be advantageous.  That is not the case out west, up in the Rockies.   I survived dragging one mule deer out there, about five miles through some steep terrain, and that was enough to convince me to never try that again.   The thin air out there makes dragging very rough on the uphill stretches.   I might not have made it, had I not killed my deer at the end of the week, so I had that long to get my lungs somewhat conditioned.   The older guys, who got their deer earlier in the week, all packed out what they could carry on their first trip (just the hide and horns), and got help from the rest of us to pack the meat out.    

Kill a couple 200 pounders a few miles back in with no one to help drag and see if you change your mind. I always thought the guys that packed them out were nuts until I killed one at 3:30 PM, tuned my gps on and realized I was 7 miles from the road and 11 from the truck. Had no idea what I was doing but I knew there was no way I was dragging so I cut him in 4 pieces put the back straps in my fanny pack tied all four legs together put the string over my shoulders and started walking. I realized then that I had to get my sh!t together on packing them out and that it was way the hell easier than dragging.

I have had some hellacious drags and still much prefer dragging them out but sometimes it just isn’t possible.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Kill a couple 200 pounders a few miles back in with no one to help drag and see if you change your mind. I always thought the guys that packed them out were nuts until I killed one at 3:30 PM, tuned my gps on and realized I was 7 miles from the road and 11 from the truck. Had no idea what I was doing but I knew there was no way I was dragging so I cut him in 4 pieces put the back straps in my fanny pack tied all four legs together put the string over my shoulders and started walking. I realized then that I had to get my sh!t together on packing them out and that it was way the hell easier than dragging.

I have had some hellacious drags and still much prefer dragging them out but sometimes it just isn’t possible.

I have been lucky there.  My toughest Adirondack deer drag, with one close to that size, was about a half a mile thru a tangled swamp, before we could get my father in law's ATV to it.  With three smaller ones up there, he was able to drive the ATV right up to where they expired.   It does seem that the heavier ones hang out in the less accessible locations.  

That big Adirondack buck was heavier than the muley that I dragged 5 miles thru the Rockies.  In both cases, there was enough snow on the ground such that "hair loss" was not a big problem.   The snow had just about all melted, by the time I got the muley back to the truck in the late afternoon, and it did have a couple bare spots on one side.  That was the worst tasting deer I have ever had. I should have just carried out the back-straps and tenderloins.             

• Like 1

dragging them out but sometimes it just isn’t possible.

That’s really the only reason why we skin and quarter. If there are a few of us and we can knock out a drag within a reasonable amount of time, I’d say a couple hours or so, that’s really preferred in our camp. A lot of the time though we’d be dragging all night.

• Like 2

I have been lucky there.  My toughest Adirondack deer drag, with one close to that size, was about a half a mile thru a tangled swamp, before we could get my father in law's ATV to it.  With three smaller ones up there, he was able to drive the ATV right up to where they expired.   It does seem that the heavier ones hang out in the less accessible locations.  
That big Adirondack buck was heavier than the muley that I dragged 5 miles thru the Rockies.  In both cases, there was enough snow on the ground such that "hair loss" was not a big problem.   The snow had just about all melted, by the time I got the muley back to the truck in the late afternoon, and it did have a couple bare spots on one side.  That was the worst tasting deer I have ever had. I should have just carried out the back-straps and tenderloins.             

A little snow makes a world of difference, but long drags on bare ground can be brutal.

• Like 2

I always love snow when deer hunting.  It helps with a lot more than "smoothing the drag".   The best part, is how much easier it makes it to see the deer, and to see where they have been.  It has been a while since I have had a snowy Adirondack deer hunt.  It does not get any better than that, when it comes to deer hunting.  I killed bucks up there in 2014 and 2016, both on snow, but came home with nothing on 2015 and 2017, when we had none.   This should be a good year if the pattern holds.   

14 minutes ago, Cedar+Canvas said:

It’s amazing how smooth a drag can go with a little bit of snow and a Dead Sled...

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I always love snow when deer hunting.  It helps with a lot more than "smoothing the drag".   The best part, is how much easier it makes it to see the deer, and to see where they have been.  It has been a while since I have had a snowy Adirondack deer hunt.  It does not get any better than that, when it comes to deer hunting.  I killed bucks up there in 2014 and 2016, both on snow, but came home with nothing on 2015 and 2017, when we had none.   This should be a good year if the pattern holds.   

The “Tracker” crew, Joe DiNito etc, will tell you it’s not even worth going out unless you’ve got solid snow. I’m personally itching to get out the minute my tags are legal but those guys slay some beauties just getting on big tracks...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cedar+Canvas said:

The “Tracker” crew, Joe DiNito etc, will tell you it’s not even worth going out unless you’ve got solid snow. I’m personally itching to get out the minute my tags are legal but those guys slay some beauties just getting on big tracks...

My experiences up there indicates that they may be right, at least when it comes to bucks.   I was able to kill a couple of does early, in warm "snowless" conditions, with the muzzleloader up on the NW edge of the park in WMU 6C however.    I know what you mean about that "itch".  I just picked up my tags at Walmart tonight.  October 12th can't get here soon enough.  I am heading up to the the in-laws for a long weekend: one day with the crossbow and two with the muzzleloader.   Filling a tag or two would be a nice bonus, but the scenery, and my mother in law's cooking, is always enough to make me happy.       

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I have a deer cart and if i was camping way back in i would also use it for packing gear in and have it avail at campsite.  Or if i am hunting for the day would have it in the truck.  I would rather hike out 3 miles to get it than drag a deer 3 miles without it.  But if i was going way back in i would take it with me and stage it somewhere in the brush to use as needed.  so much easier than a drag out.  And i have a small come along attached to it for when a deer goes down into a ravine or something that i cant use the cart for.   image.jpeg.441efc969a720f078b1730ad5f6cd443.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a deer cart and if i was camping way back in i would also use it for packing gear in and have it avail at campsite.  Or if i am hunting for the day would have it in the truck.  I would rather hike out 3 miles to get it than drag a deer 3 miles without it.  But if i was going way back in i would take it with me and stage it somewhere in the brush to use as needed.  so much easier than a drag out.  And i have a small come along attached to it for when a deer goes down into a ravine or something that i cant use the cart for.   image.jpeg.441efc969a720f078b1730ad5f6cd443.jpeg

These are often brought up in these conversations and in 20+ yers of hunting the Adirondacks I’ve known of two being used. Both cases were not for the actual drag back to camp but from camp/tent to the truck in cases where there was a good road that was not accessible, locked gate, or limited use, etc.

I use them around home once in a while and they’re nice but I couldn’t imagine trying to drag one miles back in over mountains through swamps and bogs when it was empty! Let alone when it has a big buck on it.

One thing a lot of people don’t realize is that the guys that are hunting miles from the closest road aren’t going to shoot a small buck! No one puts in all that work to shoots 100lb spike horn. I don’t know why but 180-200lb bucks drag so much harder than your average 125-150lb deer.
  • Like 4

Drag them out and hope for snow and maybe access to a near by state snowmobile trail.

I carry a good size fanny pack and now have a roll up sled that may help on bare ground.

My father and I carried, dragged and cursed a bear from the woods a few years back. I think quartering a bear would be the way to go with that. I have at camp a frame pack, small tarp, and cotton game bags if I ever decided to take another bear away from the camp.

My grandfather dragged many a deer in from miles away from camp alone. He'd walk ahead, set his rifle against a tree and drag to it and repeat.

• Like 1

I do several options.

Pack..  I use a frame pack, 2 ratchet straps, 2 knives, sharpener,  gloves, and garbage bags for the meat.

Drag.... a few ideas.  I have a ice fisherman sled, works great.  I also have clothes lines and a pulley.  Tie rope to tree, and pulley goes on deer.  I have game carts too.

Many times in public land I have seen  improvised game carts laying around.  I will bring one in a central spot if I am hunting in a group.

When dragging I cut the lower legs off at the knee. Helps cut down on snags.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP's question, but it seems he is asking how people get their animals out of the "Big Woods."  I interpret that to mean vast tracts of wilderness (either public or private) where road access is limited or prohibited.  

If that's the case, 4x4's, ATV's and tractors really aren't relevant solutions.  I pretty much agree with @Buckmaster7600: carts are mostly impractical; dragging can work if you are close enough and/or you have help; packing out is the most viable solution for true deep woods hunting.

I think not a lot of people like to do that here in the northeast, for whatever reason, and so a lot of people limit themselves on how far they'll go out from the trailhead.  Gear for packing out: I'm still trying to figure that out.  I've heard garbage bags can help reduce the mess, but they'll also gather up the blood and if the meat sits too long in that stuff it can go bad, so there is a tradeoff.  I think there are packs specifically made for packing meat and gear out, with vent holes in the bottom to let the excess blood escape.  Right now, I'm using some old, external frame military packs; they're not necessarily designed for this stuff, but I didn't have to spend much money on them and they'll work.  Long term, I'm looking at getting some dedicated packs from either Hill People Gear Hill People Gear or Mystery Ranch Mystery Ranch.

Steve Rinella actually had a decent discussion with someone from Mystery Ranch on gear setup; the discussion was focused on sheep hunting in the Mountains of Alaska, but some of the packing considerations are perhaps relevant to wilderness hunting in the ADK's.  

Meat Eater Podcast

• Like 1

The biggest reason I would not cut one up and pack one out of the Adirondacks these days, is because of the tics.   Maybe they will back off, if we start getting some cold winters again, but they are really running rampant up there after the last three "non-winters", where there has been hardly enough cold to make good ice on the lakes.   I picked over a hundred tics off the last buck I brought home from there, and processed myself.   That, coupled with some very reasonably-priced processing up there, was enough to convince me not to try that again.  My contact with deer carcasses will be minimized, even if my clothes are treated with permathin.   

From now on it will be: get the guts out of them ASAP (Thanks Chef for the butt-out suggestion, that has been a great time-saver), attach a long rope, drag them to the nearest ATV-access point, toss them in the back of the pickup, and drive them to the processor (Nolt's in Lowville is great).  Most of my handling will involve  putting them neat packages they make for you in the cooler and the freezer when I get home.  Cutting up a deer in the woods and carrying the parts out on a pack strapped to your back almost seems like begging for Lyme disease.