Dragging or Packing?

Cedar+Canvas

I have dragged out every deer. Sometimes that is a royal PITA. My cousin shot one down over a huge embankment up in Maine a couple years ago. It was about 3:00 PM when he shot it. We took turns dragging but it was really slow going. I found a 4" diameter blow down and we tied the deer to the pole and carried it out. That was a lot easier than dragging!

I have yet to pack one out. Has anyone ever seen the Salerno video where they climb a small beech tree and bend it over? Then they tie the deer to it and it lifts the deer up off the ground so it can hang for the night. That might be a via option if you shoot one in the later afternoon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Luckly there a great company and helped me out even though I ended up with another company's pack fram.

Would love to hear how you end up liking that Badlands pack after a season. Been keeping an eye one some of there stuff but haven’t checked it out in person. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Cedar+Canvas said:

Would love to hear how you end up liking that Badlands pack after a season. Been keeping an eye one some of there stuff but haven’t checked it out in person. Good luck!

I never used the badlands pack other then filling it with gear and walking around the block with it.The problem I had with it was i'm short[5'5"] and there packs are made for people 5'7" or better. The pack was well built and if it fit i'd would have keep it.I ended up with a hauling frame,but I can't remember the name it's up at my house.It's ether a cabela's or eberlestock 

badlands 2200

• 8 months later...

I'll drag 98% of the time because I want to get the weight and to show off to friends and family. Only time I'd pack it out is if I have to be back at work the next morning and it's my only option. I keep my out west meat pack in the truck just in case I need to do this.

• 4 weeks later...
Pack out with mystery ranch pop up 18.

quarter via gutless method .

How is that pick to wear all day? I’ve looked at it a few times but I’m not sure I can ever go to a backpack. I just don’t carry enough stuff to justify a backpack but it would be nice when packing out meat, my current setup is an old packable pack that’s made from a parachute material weighs a few ounces rolls into the size of a sandwich bag but can fit a boned out deer it’s just extremely uncomfortable to carry loaded.

Do you notice the pack being loud going through the woods? The material seems like it would make a lot of noise going through brush?

It is a pleasure to carry.  It carries more like a fanny pack.  I’m usually hiking in a few miles and out from sunrise to sundown and I choose to carry rain gear, lunch, snacks, h2o, game bags, and a down jacket.  I chose the 18 over the 28 so I could dip under branches without getting hung up and/or branch scraping on pack.  Which it does very well.  I find I can be silent if I walk straight forward, if I turn sideways then sometimes yes if it makes contact with branches it will make noise, it’s cordura.

It is the best pack available without customization in my opinion.

Here’s a few picks of last years packout

01AA6EDE-15E8-4C61-B2F7-3139776A63CB.jpeg

AFCC1138-AA33-42B1-A599-C68AB2B0EB37.jpeg

660BCC4D-CEED-4E12-B89F-29AA949DB601.jpeg

Edited by rjf611
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

dragging anything over a mile is ridiculous but seems as though i've done it more often than not with others. last buck i was with 4 other guys and i didn't worry about the cape. we tied a line on and tied loops all the way up it. still it was a b&^%$ on flat but dry ground.  my deep woods hunting has taken a back seat to farm hunting with higher standards due to time i have to hunt but it's way easier to bone out your deer on the spot. just take meat, cape, and antlers.  if you're going to quarter the deer anyway it's not much more effort and it packs easier in smaller sections.

• 2 weeks later...