Local manhunt - What do you defend your home with?

Jdubs

19 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Our neighborhood has a very active fb group that passes info along quickly.  So tonight, the alarm spreads for a large manhunt taking place a few miles away for a spanish looking guy in khaki shorts with a gun.  Apparently, he beat his gf pretty bad and ran.  I could hear sirens and a helicopter not far off, possibly moving our way.

Many of the nervous housewives warned others to stay inside, but my daughter wanted to practice field hockey so I stayed in the driveway to watch her.  She didn't need to know about this nutjob or have it ruin her practice time.  With a G19 under my shirt, a Mossy 12ga staged inside the garage door and long sight lines, I had no qualms about being outside.  No one even noticed until we came inside and I staged the 12ga in a corner of the kitchen.

So if a manhunt goes down near you, what are you grabbing to defend the homestead?  When it comes right down to it, which firearm do you want in your hand if a fugitive approaches or enters your house?  

I want to apologize for coming off gruff. You had reason to be nervous and ready, and I never meant to make light of that. I hope you understand.

I am just getting to the point where I don't like to broadcast to the entire world what firearms I have in my home anymore or how I would deal with a situation.

Also here's a tip, don't think every alert that comes from Face Book is real. About a month ago there was a FB post that had a ton of people getting caught up in a lie, 'The Dead Bear On 9W'. They couldn't even agree on where the bear was killed by a motorist, one said Glenmont, one said Selkirk, one said Ravena, one even said 1 mile from my house. It was total BS.

Again I do apologize for being gruff, but I stand by that some things are none of anyone's business. 

23 minutes ago, Rob... said:

I want to apologize for coming off gruff. You had reason to be nervous and ready, and I never meant to make light of that. I hope you understand.

I am just getting to the point where I don't like to broadcast to the entire world what firearms I have in my home anymore or how I would deal with a situation.

Also here's a tip, don't think every alert that comes from Face Book is real. About a month ago there was a FB post that had a ton of people getting caught up in a lie, 'The Dead Bear On 9W'. They couldn't even agree on where the bear was killed by a motorist, one said Glenmont, one said Selkirk, one said Ravena, one even said 1 mile from my house. It was total BS.

Again I do apologize for being gruff, but I stand by that some things are none of anyone's business. 

No worries Rob.  I didn't take any offense to your reply or anyone else's here for that matter.  The post was meant to stimulate conversation, that's all.  Most of us have an interest in taking care of our families and this was one of those random occurrences that raised an alarm for me.  Not a 5 alarm, condition red scenario by any means, but something that compelled me to make some decisions.

I carry anyway so really this came down to two questions: Do I want something more than my ccw handy?  Do I worry my daughter and tell her to go inside, thus ruining her practice time?  If the threat was right in my neighborhood, we would have gone inside asap and let LE do their job.  The threat was outside the neighborhood so I opted to stay alert and ready to move back in, if needed.  Everything worked out fine, the guy was caught (announced by the Town who provided updates) and my daughter had her fun.  Who knows what the next one brings.  This was the fourth manhunt nearby in 12 years.  

As to firearms, they're on my pistol permit so the State already knows what I have.  I don't feel that I'm giving up any secrets.  If other guys want to maintain full OPSEC, that's their call.  Makes no difference to me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob... said:

Dont be sorry  someone could easily just as well lie and say they have  something when they have  nothing , or have a Arsenal and say they have nothing . You never know :)

All I got is a squirt gun :)

Or maybe not :)

See what I'm saying :)

It's all just hypothetical truth is you dont know what your going to do until something like that happens to you . 

And you dont know what anyone has on here unless you see it  in person .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Dont be sorry  someone could easily just as well lie and say they have  something when they have  nothing , or have a Arsenal and say they have nothing . You never know :)

All I got is a squirt gun :)

Or maybe not :)

See what I'm saying :)

It's all just hypothetical truth is you dont know what your going to do until something like that happens to you . 

And you dont know what anyone has on here unless you see it  in person .

I see your squirt gun and raise to my slingshot loaded with Lima beans.  All in with a full house : straws and spitballs dipped in curare 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Home invasions can happen without warning and take any of us by surprise......A neighbor of mine was puttering around in his basement workshop when his wife called for him to come upstairs. Upon arriving in his living room he was greeted by the sight of a thug holding his wife at gun point. Despite a house full of guns, he was totally defenseless. The crook asked for money and the home owners wisely complied. Thug left. Crook ran past a gas station on the way to his car and was "caught" on tape. Cops picked him up within hours sitting at mickey d's in his car doing drugs....

Bad guy got a slap on the wrist and will back on the street soon.

Couple has their house on the market and they are kissing NY good bye.

Wife and I have a code word. If she calls to me and uses that word, I will be ready!

My wife and i don't smoke, if we are somewhere and one of us says lets go have a smoke its bad, same things on the phone ( grab me a pack of smokes on your way home)

42 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I see your squirt gun and raise to my slingshot loaded with Lima beans.  All in with a full house : straws and spitballs dipped in curare 

Those straws will get you 5-10 hard time in Cali.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

My wife and i don't smoke, if we are somewhere and one of us says lets go have a smoke its bad, same things on the phone ( grab me a pack of smokes on your way home)

My wife’s secret code is “ let’s have sex “.  I’m still waiting for defcon 4 ^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:06 AM, Stay at home Nomad said:

The real one was when Xerox credit union was robbed one killed one wounded I believe , they never saw which way or where suspect went. Although I’m a few miles away , I had police helicopters overhead , cars driving the area, and listening to police radio, all kinds of “ suspicious man “ calls in area .

I was working at Xerox at the time and we were on lock-down in safe zones. It was interesting to see the anti-gun employees "wishing" we had guns in house then for their protection! They came to me, knowing that I hunt, but I said that I only had my bow in my truck. They asked if I could sneak out and get that for "some protection anyways"! Killed me....

• Like 2

A couple of us at work have been considering the Ruger PC9 for home defense. Takes a couple different type of mags, Ruger as well as Glock. (with the correct adaptor installed). Ammo is the ubiquitous 9 mm that many already have around the house for sidearms. Plenty accurate for close range , light, easy to handle, semi auto, has a rail for a red dot ect. Seems like a nice alternative to the 12 ga.

• Like 1

For personal protection, from man or beast, my weapon of choice would be a pre-1990's, Remington, 12 gauge, model 870, pump-action shotgun, with short smoothbore deer barrel and open sights.   It would be loaded with 2-3/4", Winchester, foster-type,  rifled slugs.   I have always been able to place those within a couple of inches of my point of aim, at ranges up to 75 yards, with that weapon.  I would prefer the Remington 870, over a model 37 Ithaca pump, because I can look right into the open chamber from the side and see if it is loaded.   That would be pure guess-work with the bottom-opening Ithaca.   There is something about the sound of the action closing on a pump shotgun, that sends shivers down the spine of anyone on the muzzle end.  When it comes to short-range stopping power, there is no pistol cartridge remotely in the ballpark, when compared to a 12 gauge slug.   

That said, I have never been in a situation where I needed or wanted a gun for personal protection.   I usually do sleep with a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 336 30/30 and ammo within reach, in case a non-human target of opportunity shows up outside my bedroom window.  That has included lots of crows and woodchucks, along with the occasional coon, coyote, or fox.                   

31 minutes ago, JimR said:

A couple of us at work have been considering the Ruger PC9 for home defense. Takes a couple different type of mags, Ruger as well as Glock. (with the correct adaptor installed). Ammo is the ubiquitous 9 mm that many already have around the house for sidearms. Plenty accurate for close range , light, easy to handle, semi auto, has a rail for a red dot ect. Seems like a nice alternative to the 12 ga.

Like that gun too, just can’t find any to buy !

Really I agree for all the reasons you stated . A freind lives in a very nice waterfront home, after his alarm went off one night  and his hunting guns were not close by, he since moved his pump 12 ga to his bedroom.

That gun is a nice compromise between handgun and 12 ga imho .

• Like 2

21 hours ago, gwhalin said:

have a damned good lock on my door and a cell phone to dial 911.  

As someone who,has forced entry 100s of times ,I can say it’s not the lock but the jam that fails . Reinforce the jam, replace the strike plate with a 6 inch one mortised into the wood and use four inch screws that will reach the stud, not just the half inch of pine . That’s just for starters .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 3

A few people have mentioned it but your the last one so you get the quote.

Doing this having a code word is something I have not thought of before. So basic yet so useful wether in the home or out somewhere. Generally speaking we can tell when our wife or girlfriend is in an uncomfortable situation but what happens when we don’t see it because we are in another room or who knows what. A simple hey let’s go out for a smoke is innocent enough for everyone around you yet so alarming for each other.

I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Like that gun too, just can’t find any to buy !

Really I agree for all the reasons you stated . A freind lives in a very nice waterfront home, after his alarm went off one night  and his hunting guns were not close by, he since moved his pump 12 ga to his bedroom.

That gun is a nice compromise between handgun and 12 ga imho .

my LGS always had the pc9 in stock. Binghamton area. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JimR said:

Not to side-track this discussion.. There's a reason the FBI is going back to the 9mm. 

6 hours ago, JimR said:

The should really make that in 45  

A little  more stopping power 

And makes sense in a carbine 

On 8/23/2018 at 11:02 PM, Hock3y24 said:

That’s a good idea .. 

10 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

As someone who,has forced entry 100s of times ,I can say it’s not the lock but the jam that fails . Reinforce the jam, replace the strike plate with a 6 inch one mortised into the wood and use four inch screws that will reach the stud, not just the half inch of pine . That’s just for starters .

I have steel entrance doors on my house and the strike plate and hinges have 4.5 inch screws in them.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

I have got to believe that there is something completely innerving for a would be intruder (even an armed intruder)when out of the darkness they hear the unmistakable sound of a 12 gauge pump Ithaca Deerslayer rattling a round into the chamber. I believe that within 1.5 seconds there would be nothing left of the intruder in the house other than the vile smell of his feces polluting the air as he turned and ran for his life. I suspect there would not even be a need to pull the trigger. In fact a mere tape recording of that sound would probably do the trick......lol.