Local manhunt - What do you defend your home with?

Jdubs

26 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Am I the only one who just stay inside til the coast was clear ? I would never put my kid at risk just because I have a pistol on my side.

I respect your opinion.  Going in would have been the safe play.  However, the threat was outside my immediate neighborhood, there were 30 LEO's plus K-9 and aviation involved, and my sight lines and cover afforded a very swift retreat inside, if needed.  Being alert and ready seemed a reasonable response at the time.

• Like 1

OP situation - Being outside and doing what you believed would have been defending your home or family could get very sticky, legal wise. Since there is no Stand Your Ground law in NYS, you'd probably be standing in front of a grand jury even if the "nutjob" threatened you/daughter and you shot him/her. Different story if the "nutjob" did break into your castle, just empty the Glock and there'd be far less questions asked. Believe me, I'm not criticizing you, it's just the NYS laws are thinking they are protecting both the victim and assailant.

For DEFCON 4 or lower situations, there's a Glock near my bed fully loaded with a 2nd mag handy and a dog for alerting me to intruders. DEFCOM 3 or higher, handgun is closer to my side where ever I am inside my home during daylight hours. May sound weird coming from a hunter, but the situation would dictate if I were able to actually shoot another human being. Think I'd be just as happy to flash the Glock, have the intruder(s) flee my home and then call 911. Just to clear up my wus factor, the cell phone would be the last thing I reached for in the case of a home invasion.

5 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Believe me, I'm not criticizing you, it's just the NYS laws are thinking they are protecting both the victim and assailant.

With people like Cuomo and DiBlasio running things in this state, it's the ASSAILANT that these clowns will be protecting and not the victim.  They care more about giving convicts college educations and cleaner, safer prisons than they care about the law abiding man in the street.  People shouldn't think that they'd be backing us if we had to resort to protecting ourselves with a weapon.  It would most likely be the opposite.

10 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Am I the only one who just stay inside til the coast was clear ? I would never put my kid at risk just because I have a pistol on my side.

You are not the only one.  Why increase the risk of confrontation for some practice that can take place the next day.  And if I was going to do that, I think I would have a few ARs/shotguns sitting out in the open for everyone, including the potential intruder, to see! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Lots of 38+p’s at arms length. Then if need be 12 gauge with double buck and of course there’s always the 44 and 357 mag. 

If you had to just pointing a shotgun at a bad guy with a hand gun would probably make him change his mind real fast about what he was going to do . Psychologically shotguns just have that effect on people lol 

Sure stay inside , but for how long and how far away ? Manhunts can last days, and span miles if not towns and county’s .

Ive been through one real and one imagined. Came home from work one Sunday morning, as I drove by the middle school 1/4 from my house the cops had a perimeter set up , ARs in hand, command vehicle ,cops everywhere .

Got home said somethings going on stay inside, tooled up .. Turns out it was a drill , would have been nice to notify us neighbors ahead of time, and put up a sign too !

The real one was when Xerox credit union was robbed one killed one wounded I believe , they never saw which way or where suspect went. Although I’m a few miles away , I had police helicopters overhead , cars driving the area, and listening to police radio, all kinds of “ suspicious man “ calls in area .

I strapped on Glock ,brought the kids home  locked up and sat it out . He wasn’t caught  , and the next day everyone returned to their normal routines .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Years ago while they were looking for Bucky Phillips locally I was playing golf at Niagara Frontier CC. Helicopters overhead. My golf bag had golf balls , tees , clubs , and a 9 mm ^_^

I got a few good stories that I can share with you about that guy at the meet and greet this year , i'd rather not post them publicly .

• Like 2

15 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Anyone watch the Purge movies ? 

I know a guy who way before those movies, said there should be a”get even day”. One day a year you can do anything to,one person of your choosing .

To keep folks from just hiding that day, everyone gets a different day and nobody else knows who,has what date

and speaking of Purge, I just started taking the meds and getting the drink, ready for my colonoscopy, in the morning.....

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Home invasions can happen without warning and take any of us by surprise......A neighbor of mine was puttering around in his basement workshop when his wife called for him to come upstairs. Upon arriving in his living room he was greeted by the sight of a thug holding his wife at gun point. Despite a house full of guns, he was totally defenseless. The crook asked for money and the home owners wisely complied. Thug left. Crook ran past a gas station on the way to his car and was "caught" on tape. Cops picked him up within hours sitting at mickey d's in his car doing drugs....

Bad guy got a slap on the wrist and will back on the street soon.

Couple has their house on the market and they are kissing NY good bye.

Wife and I have a code word. If she calls to me and uses that word, I will be ready!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, steve863 said:

With people like Cuomo and DiBlasio running things in this state, it's the ASSAILANT that these clowns will be protecting and not the victim.  They care more about giving convicts college educations and cleaner, safer prisons than they care about the law abiding man in the street.  People shouldn't think that they'd be backing us if we had to resort to protecting ourselves with a weapon.  It would most likely be the opposite.

I've had several friends in law enforcement tell me that if you have to shoot to protect yourself, your property, or your family, make sure you kill the guy. Dead men don't get to tell lies at trials. Kill the SOB and then call the cops so they cay put the chalk outline around his body, not yours.