Local manhunt - What do you defend your home with?

Jdubs

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

I have got to believe that there is something completely innerving for a would be intruder (even an armed intruder)when out of the darkness they hear the unmistakable sound of a 12 gauge pump Ithaca Deerslayer rattling a round into the chamber. I believe that within 1.5 seconds there would be nothing left of the intruder in the house other than the vile smell of his feces polluting the air as he turned and ran for his life. I suspect there would not even be a need to pull the trigger. In fact a mere tape recording of that sound would probably do the trick......lol.

FWIW, consider that the intruder(s) may be drunk, high on drugs or having a psychotic episode.  They don't respond to commands or a Shack-Shack from a 12 ga.  I believe there was a teacher shot dead in Rochester after ignoring all commands by homeowers to stop and leave.  Sad outcome all around as that older couple felt terrible about being forced to defend themselves and ultimately taking a life. 

28 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

FWIW, consider that the intruder(s) may be drunk, high on drugs or having a psychotic episode.  They don't respond to commands or a Shack-Shack from a 12 ga.  I believe there was a teacher shot dead in Rochester after ignoring all commands by homeowers to stop and leave.  Sad outcome all around as that older couple felt terrible about being forced to defend themselves and ultimately taking a life. 

I remember that story , i almost feel like it happened in Amherst.

29 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

For those of you that use shottys for home defense, what do you have them loaded up with? My choice is as follows, the one in the hole is buckshot, the next two are slugs and then the rest are buckshot.

00 Federal Flite Control in the tube and a velcro side saddle with 00 and slugs.  The chamber is left empty so I have the choice of racking in the 00 or stripping off a slug from the side saddle and dropping it in.  Situation will dictate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rob-c said:

I have steel entrance doors on my house and the strike plate and hinges have 4.5 inch screws in them.. 

That’s a good move, you made your door many times harder to force, good on the hinge screws too .

A common technique we use, if there a lot of locks and or a strong  jamb is to attack the hinges 

WNY Buckhunter , my Benelli has 4 ,OO buck in the tube, 3 more plus 2 slugs on the stock .

• Thanks 1