E Bikes

Billdogge

Good question Bill.

The signs say "No Motorized Vehicles",  So I would assume that would include "anything" with a motor, electric or otherwise?  Will follow this as I'm not completely sure myself.

Those newer E-Bikes look pretty cool. Quiet, and could get you way back in quicker and easier.

I think it would be tough packing a deer out with one though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Billdogge said:

Does anyone know if you can use Electric bikes on State or NYC DEP lands? 

Thanks

No because technically it is a motor vehicle but are they going to enforce it ? Maybe maybe not . Depends on the officer and if your doing anything else wrong probably 

I think their main objective by those signs are anything that's going to tear up, create ruts, noise nuisance etc... Although it may not technically be legal I'd be surprised if anyone said anything. I've been looking at them for a few years now as it would be perfect for me, just a bit more than I want to spend on a bike.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I see mountain bikers back there all the time. The E-Bike is just as quiet, and will do no more damage than a mountain bike. 

When it gets to the Bad Boy Buggies, that will be a bit different though, as they are much larger and heavier. 

The electric motor technology has come a long way in recent years.  The batteries last longer and the motors are much stronger and more compact.

Interesting post, I never gave these type of bikes a thought when it comes to hunting.  Not sure what the DEC's take on these is, I'm guessing they wouldn't be legal on state land, but I could see these bikes being very practical.  I've never been a fan of non-motorized mountain bikes for hunting, since you'd have a hell of a time hauling a deer out by pedal power alone, especially in mountainous terrain, but it's a different scenario having some motor power helping you.  I just saw that they even sell deer carts that attach to these bikes.  They surely would be a heck of a lot easier to bring to your hunting spot than a 4 wheeler would be, never mind storing one the rest of the year, plus if you have to get around a fallen tree or some other obstacle all you have to do is get off the bike and easily pick it up and get yourself over or around it.  Not always so simple with a 4 wheeler.   You obviously don't have all the utility and horsepower of a 4 wheeler with these bikes, but I could see some practical benefits.

• Like 2

The Rambo that I bought will do 29 MPH and without the pedal assist will go 25 miles on one charge.. the power they have is pretty impressive. Getting to stands and pulling trail cams take no time at all with these things. They are very pricey but for an avid hunter they are worth the money hands down 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, remi1100 said:

They are very pricey but for an avid hunter they are worth the money hands down 

Still way cheaper than a 4 wheeler and will hardly take up anymore space in your garage than your kids bike would!  For me the storage space issue alone would be the biggest selling point.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just picked up one of these Rad Power Bike Minis and I have to say it is one fun bike. While it can just go along on it's own power I use what is called the pedal assist mode which in essence makes the manual peddling as easy as one wants it to be depending on how much assist one wants. Charged it up yesterday and I rode it all over my property, up hill and dale through the woods and pastures and down the road and it made riding pretty easy for this soon to be 70 year old goat. This little guy folds up nicely and compact, will easily fit in the back of my hatchback car or pickup truck, just wish I had picked it up earlier in the summer. Beats the Hell out of exercising on my Schwinn Airdyne!

Al

Mini_0508.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 5