blackbeltbill

STERLING FOREST HUNTING PERMIT-- Get Yours Today!

Damn straight  EricJ!!  Each year would be a different area.  Oak trees were taken from what, I saw. Selective Logging opens up the understory. Perfect for Deer and Wild Turkey and other wildlife. Great for Hunters!!

OK- that pic was was taken off of Long Meadow Road in 1997. Both Sterling Forest as well as the Stewart Coop Area as it was known became Public Lands in 1999. No Logging in SterlingForest after 1998 to my knowledge.

OK-- Now this pic is off of East Shore Road very close to Greenwood Lake and the NJ Border. Jennings Trail is close by. Back of this pic has JAN--1997 written in by me.   I have more Logging photos from this era that probably not many have. There was a frenzy of Logging in Sterling Forest before it became Public Land.  

What's messed up is...... If NEW YORK STATE allowed selective logging in their State Parks the State could make a Ton of money... and help out many upstate residents as well... usually when land is logged you Split 50/50 with the owner/ logger.

Harriman has HUGE trees which would be worth a pretty penny!  And... we can always keep some acreage as untouched...

• Like 1

All of Sterling Forest State Park is open to Gun Hunting before Nov 1st this year.  Just call to confirm what , I wrote.    I have written in past years about getting the Whole Forest opened to gun hunting before Nov 1st. 

Check this Thread, I posted nearly 2 years ago. I have a number of Pics of the Sterling Forest State Park Topo map and a few pics of the large Visitor Center on Long Meadow Road in Tuxedo.

You definitely need a Sterling Hunting Permit that you leave on your Dash.   There used to be 2 Types.  A Pheasant Permit and you get that for free and can only hunt in Sterling for Pheasants with it. And a regular Hunting Permit where you can hunt everything and have to pay 5 Bucks.

Pretty sure you can fill out their Permit application online . You just have to provide your name ,address, and current Backtag #.    I usually just go down in person to the visitor center in early September once they get the process started. 

If you go down to the Visitor Center- spend 20 minutes to view the exhibit and the history of Sterling. There are huge Ironore deposits in Sterling and the huge Iron Links that were strung over the Hudson River to prevent the British from sailing further upstream where smelted in Sterling Forest. 

There is a huge walk around Model of Sterling Forest and a Gift Shop. I gave 2 Spring Turkey Seminars here downstairs some years back.

5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

How's the parking ?

Some areas have 1 or 2 parking areas. Indian Hill has 2. The large one can hold at least 12 Vehicles. The Long Swamp has a large Hiker/ hunter parking area. Another huge parking area just past the Tuxedo Golf Course.  Mostly though--- you can pull way off on the side of the road in most areas without a designated parking area.