Looking To Fish The Waddington Area Of The St. Lawrence

grampy

I just was reading how the pro's had a bass tournament, in the Waddington area. They were weighing in over five pound average bags of smallmouths! Now the smallmouth is my favorite freshwaterfish, to catch by far. Sooo, I'm thinking of towing out that way to do some fishing. Any advise on where to stay, and tips for catching those huge smallies, from anyone familiar with that area?

i havent fished up the river that far but have spent a lot of time on the st . Lawrence.  We used to stay in the morristown area at Jacque Cartier state park and camp and then fish the river for several days and then throw in a day on black lake.   The whole river has lots of smallies for sure.  Since i dont know the Waddington area - my best advice is that the water is gin clear in the river and 6 lb test or a braid and a flouro leader is a must.  But we used to get smallies all over the place.  There are shelves off the edge of the river usually and they drop from 5-15-30 feet pretty quickly.   Early am we used to just look in bays for rockpiles and then later in day fish off those ledges.   Drop shots are great here and jigs, but lose some tackle in the rocks.  Need a little extra weight though due to the current usually.   Watch out for rock piles in that river that pop up quickly.  The usual spots with points and islands are always good too.  You will def get smallies.  5 lb stringers are a little tough but usually lots of action.  Watch the locals too. There was a spot near Morristown in front of old man island called the "Basshole"  always saw lots of people anchored there using crawfish.  It was a hole basically that was about 40 ft and in a spot with a lot of current.   We used to fish for eyes and perch for the most part but also lots of smallies.  Anywhere that the bottom drops with the current is usually a good spot as they will be on ambush there.  Good luck! 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Thanks 1

Hi! Turkey Feathers directed me to your post.  I have spent the last 19 years in a camp on an island a few miles downriver from Waddington. I work in this area during the summers as a geologist with EPA remediating the contaminated sediments in the river systems.   My forte is fly fishing for bass and toothy critters on the adjacent rivers but I think I can help you with information on fishing for St Lawrence River bass as well as directing you to lodging.  Please PM me or ask Turkey Feathers to send you my cell.

Take care, 

Dino

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dinorocks said:

Hi! Turkey Feathers directed me to your post.  I have spent the last 19 years in a camp on an island a few miles downriver from Waddington. I work in this area during the summers as a geologist with EPA remediating the contaminated sediments in the river systems.   My forte is fly fishing for bass and toothy critters on the adjacent rivers but I think I can help you with information on fishing for St Lawrence River bass as well as directing you to lodging.  Please PM me or ask Turkey Feathers to send you my cell.

Take care, 

Dino

Thanks! Been in touch with Turheyfeathers. Nice of him to put us together! Will be sending you a PM for sure! This is exactly what I was looking for!

• Like 2

I'm sure the guys will tell you if you are going to explore the river alot ,charts are a must. Electronic or paper. Oh and dont forget to stay on our side of the river or get a Canadian license.   The river is different than many bodies of water. It can go from 100' of depth to 1' Instantly. 

• Thanks 1