What was the most powerful semi-auto pistol ever made ?

14 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Desert Eagle 50 cal ?  

Shot it , it’s not as thumpy as you’d think 

" THUMPY"....Is that a new word, TF  ??

Kinda reminds me of one of my old girlfriends....<< SMILE>>….

Actually, my nickname for her was " Thumper"....I'm a longtime BAMBI fan.....Hehehe...

Edited by Pygmy

Idiot's question... So how do the 44 or 50cal handgun loads (either factory or hand loads) fair in a ballistic gel test? Guessing "most powerful" means largest caliber a shooter can hold in his/her hands and shoot, but probably not most practical or efficient...? Inform me!!

15 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

Idiot's question... So how do the 44 or 50cal handgun loads (either factory or hand loads) fair in a ballistic gel test? Guessing "most powerful" means largest caliber a shooter can hold in his/her hands and shoot, but probably not most practical or efficient...? Inform me!!

Most powerful in a semi-auto pistol .

foot pounds of energy 

that has been commercially made .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

Back in the day, the .44 Mag was the most powerful handgun.  Today it isn't.  In a sequel Harry used a .44 Auto Mag because it was the most powerful handgun available.  Today I think it's still the top if we're talking about semi-auto only.

• Like 1

There are four main players when it comes to big bore autoloading magnum pistols. The AMT Auto Mag was the first on the market followed by the LAR Grizzly, the Wildey and the Desert Eagle.

The 44 auto mag used a rimless case of it's own design that pretty much duplicates the rimmed 44 Rem mag. The Wildey fired the Winchester 45 mag a rimless case also along with the Wildey 475 cartridge which I do not know much about other that it is more powerful than the 44s.

LAR was chambered mainly in 44 Rem mag but I think some were also produced in 45 Win Mag which power wise is similar to the 44 Rem Mag.

The Desert Eagle fires the Remington 44 mag and the 50 cal AE which is more powerful than a 44 or 45. 

So those pistols firing the 44 auto mag, 44 Rem mag and 45 Win mag are for all practical purposes pretty much the same power wise. The  power edge will go to the 50 AE and the 475 Wildey.

I think the Desert Eagle was and is the best design of the group.

Screen-Shot-2016-08-23-at-9.46.42-AM.png

2018-08-30_093558.png

grizzly.jpg

31166-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I'm not too sure about semi-auto's , but the .460 S&W is one of the most powerful revolvers.

500 s&w is the most powerful I know at darn near 3000ftlbs of energy at the muzzle 475 Limbaugh and 500 Limbaugh aren’t too far behind with the 480 Ruger right behind them. After owning a 475 for a bit it makes my 454casull feel like a pussy cat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not too sure about semi-auto's , but the .460 S&W is one of the most powerful revolvers.

500 s&w is the most powerful I know at darn near 3000ftlbs of energy at the muzzle 475 Limbaugh and 500 Limbaugh aren’t too far behind with the 480 Ruger right behind them. After owning a 475 for a bit it makes my 454casull feel like a pussy cat!

Going to rephrase one of my questions: Why is bigger better or more "manly"? 

Okay, so if I spent a lot of time in grizz country, I'd be carrying a big boy. Other than that, just can't imagine any practical use for protection, LE, combat purposes. Aren't they a beast to shoot compared to something more practical, say a 40cal?

Okay, so if I spent a lot of time in grizz country, I'd be carrying a big boy. Other than that, just can't imagine any practical use for protection, LE, combat purposes. Aren't xr they a beast to shoot compared to something more practical, say a 40cal?
[/Not at all practical for LE or home defense. But what the hell if practicality drove every purchase life sure would be boring!

7 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

As with the archery hunting community there are handgun hunters that have hunted and taken every species of game animal on the planet including Elephants. Those big hand cannons and the ammo they use are for that crowd that are hard core handgun hunters. Todays really big hand cannons are at the limits of what a person handle recoil wise and hit their target accurately and put big game down with authority. While fearsome to shoot because of muzzle blast and heavy recoil  those big handguns are for the most part pale in power, range and accuracy compared to big game hunting rifles.

Al