Budget gun battle - Savage Axis vs TC Venture vs 700 SPS

I don't hunt at night, since I quit fox calling back in the 70s..

We always did that with a shotgun, anyway, since the little devils were often running coming into the call and at that time the only rifle allowed in the SZ was a .22 rimfire..

Pretty cool stuff, though..One night we called in 18 ( killed 8 and that was when grey fox pelts were worth $50..

So, as far as hunting at night, you have the advantage on me..

However, as far as using a rifle scope for anytime even APPROACHING legal shooting time for deer hunting, you might be surprised at how much light a Leupold M8 4X 33 fixed transmits at dawn and dusk... It beats my Leica 8 x42 binocs by a good margin, and they aren't exactly cheap glass...

Opening day of deer season last year I had a buck walk past my treestand, which was in a grove of hemlocks, at a full half hour before legal shooting time.. Through my little chintzy scope, I could easily see that he had antlers and could have easily shot him, if I were so inclined.. It was PFD at that time..

I don't take any running shots at anything with a rifle or my deer shotgun, so I have plenty of time to set the magnifications that I need or want on my variable power scopes. That's not a judgement on shooting at moving targets, it's just my way of doing business that recognizes my limitations (you all remember what Dirty Harry had to say about a man's limitations .....  ;D ). If I'm "wing shooting" birds or small game, my shotgun has no scope at all.

But I have to admit that all my variable power scopes seem to always be set at the upper end all the time, so the "variable" feature seldom gets used.

I look through the scope with both eyes open and only shut my off eye right before I put my finger on the trigger and get ready to shoot so I don't foresee too much of a problem with targets surprising me up close.  I also start out at the lowest power and dial up to what I need.

But I have to admit that all my variable power scopes seem to always be set at the upper end all the time, so the "variable" feature seldom gets used.

Doc - If you never change the settings on your scope then maybe a fixed power scope might be better for you since they're always clearer.  Basic concept.  The more glass light has to pass through, the more distorted it becomes.  Variable power scope/lens has an extra glass in the middle.

Good point, Doc...

If it works, why FIX it..?.. I agree with you 100% on that point.

My point is simply that many hunters would be better served by buying high quality fixed power scopes than they would by buying a scope of HALF the quality that happens to have variable power and a whole bunch of unnecessary bells and whistles..

Kinda like buying binoculars.. You can buy 3 or 4 pairs of Bushnells, Nikons, Pentax or whatever, or you can buy ONE pair of Leicas, Zeiss, or Swarovskis and never have to buy another pair of binocs..