Top 10 whitetail destinations

Water Rat

8 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

I always heard Pike county , Illinois was a hot spot.

I always heard the same, a few years back. The more i do a little digging and watching.. Wisconsin has been very impressive over the years. Not sure how their deer densities are, but the quality of bucks seems top notch. 

1 minute ago, LET EM GROW said:

I always heard the same, a few years back. The more i do a little digging and watching.. Wisconsin has been very impressive over the years. Not sure how their deer densities are, but the quality of bucks seems top notch. 

From what I have seen on huntingbeast which is mostly WI hunters, they do very well there.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

even if wolves they have a crap ton of deer. far more than we couple ever dream of out here near the VT border.

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

From what I have seen on huntingbeast which is mostly WI hunters, they do very well there.

There are 3 places I like to purchase my food plot/habitat seed from, and 2 of them are in WI. I see a lot of pics of their deer and habitat. Most of their customers are local to them so I get exposure of the state through their website, and FB page quite often. Makes me want to go there and see for myself. lol. I would have to think they must have good soil over there, just like the rest of them top states. 

I also think there is a section or sections in many states that produces B&C bucks year after year, Not just these listed. Just depends on how big that section or sections are compared to the size of state and or its deer densities. When trying to achieve top spots anyways... 

For example our Finger Lake Region. It produces B&C bucks every year.. where the rest of the state is much harder to find B&C bucks.. Sure, hunter densities and their motives have a big impact on that too..

30 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

There are 3 places I like to purchase my food plot/habitat seed from, and 2 of them are in WI. I see a lot of pics of their deer and habitat. Most of their customers are local to them so I get exposure of the state through their website, and FB page quite often. Makes me want to go there and see for myself. lol. I would have to think they must have good soil over there, just like the rest of them top states. 

I also think there is a section or sections in many states that produces B&C bucks year after year, Not just these listed. Just depends on how big that section or sections are compared to the size of state and or its deer densities. When trying to achieve top spots anyways... 

For example our Finger Lake Region. It produces B&C bucks every year.. where the rest of the state is much harder to find B&C bucks.. Sure, hunter densities and their motives have a big impact on that too..

WI also has tons of high deer density public lands unlike NY

• Like 1

I know lots of big bucks get killed in Ohio but I'vebeen there 3 times and never even seen a shooter (2 different outfitters) and no other hunters in camp shot anything "big".  Went to Saskatchewan 8 times and shot 5 nice bucks one of them was a B&C non-typical but that was before prices got ridiculous.

look at entrys ans dates this isnimber of entries  over 18 years. you may as well hunt here you have about as.much chance or.maybe more depending on where in nys you hunt. wi for example 800k hunters  a year. 426 entries over 18 years.. or 23/800000. a year.. ill stick it out and save my money and hunt here.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

Kinda glad New York didnt make either list !

I'm still happy to shoot my scrubby, three year old eight points, on the farm, here at home.  Never really cared about putting my name in B&C. In all the years I've hunted deer, I've only seen one deer in the wild, that may have been B&C. And only saw him once. That was in the late 70's hunting the Cooper River bottom, in SC.

That said, my dream hunt would be up in the wilds of Canada. Not really for a Booner, but for the experience, and a chocolate colored rack.

If I were to book a hunt, to try for a record book deer today, I'd try Kentucky.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Wouldnt that be nice! Im sure their DNR or DEC work for/with the sportsman more than this state ever thought of. 

the dec game management is secondary it is an enviromental protection agency thay also does game ,completely different than other states game departments.

• Like 1

I've got hunts in KY the next 3 falls... Fingers crossed... 

Where at? I’ve been looking at Whitetail Crossings for a few years now. They kill some great ones each year. WhitetailHaven too.

I’m a big believer in Kentucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Just Lucky said:

Does anyone know how many of those states have antler restrictions? 

Minnesota, Missouri, Kentucky, Texas, and Illinois.
Some go by points, kentucky is spread which i'm fond of, and texas has combo point and spread which also works well.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Minnesota, Missouri, Kentucky, Texas, and Illinois.
Some go by points, kentucky is spread which i'm fond of, and texas has combo point and spread which also works well.

Remember though, none of those are state wide restrictions. They are like NY, with certain areas having MARs and other areas having no ARs.

1 minute ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Remember though, none of those are state wide restrictions. They are like NY, with certain areas having MARs and other areas having no ARs.

yup also true, despite the areas are a bit bigger. also not mentioned some states on the list are one buck only.  most all of them have a different mindset in general than hunters in NY. easy to hold out for something bigger if you know there's better odds it's there. out of state hunters are going there not to shoot any deer. many are also in the most fertile areas of the country.  so they've got multiple things going for them in regards to making the list. it all helps.

• Like 1