Crows

Anyone going out for the Crow opener Saturday?  I will be out for my first opening day. Usually do not start until the migrations after Christmas, but Iam seeing big numbers in the feedlots and want to try some early shooting. Will mix in some pigeons decoys for a mixed bag. This pigeon hunting is so addictive 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Had a decent shoot this morning of 23 crows...had to use hand calls bc the wires to the battery holder on the New Foxpro decided to snap off the solder...NOT HAPPY. 

Afternoon pigeon hunt at a local dairy was tremendous. Killed 35 in an hour and a half. Had most of them not fkown over the feed bunkers it would have been insane. There were swarms of 150-200 bird flocks all afternoon. 

3 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

Is it just me or are crows smart?  I had no problem killing fox or coyotes calling them in but the 4 or 5 x calling crows they would never come with in range..........

Crows they say have the intelligence of a chimp more or less yes there smart they also can recognize the faces of different humans  they remember. 

• Like 1

Crows are incredibly smart and often send me home talking to myself. If you do not conceal yourself well, then forget about even trying. You can have the best calls and decoys money can buy but if they see you or something they do not like, its game over. Download the documentary "The Secret Life of Crows". It will give you a whole new perspective of what we are dealing with.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 6:10 PM, Storm914 said:

Crows they say have the intelligence of a chimp more or less yes there smart they also can recognize the faces of different humans  they remember. 

I have read where crows have a strong family history. Many generations flock together; unless some of you get to them first, LOL.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:10 PM, Storm914 said:

They are smart and they can live quite a few years, I have had what I believe to be the same three Crows living in my area for many years. I plow out my barnyard where my chicken coups are and put out grain for the chickens, those three crows will watch for me to do this and come in and feed with the chickens. If it is real blustery out and I have a hood over my head they will stay up in the trees until I leave the area before they come down. If I have just a hat on they can recognize me and will come down when I am out tossing grain. I have hunted and killed a lot of crows in my days but these three have a free pass as I have seen them many times mobbing and driving off Hawks hanging around looking for a chicken dinner.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...