Bolt Selection

J.B.

I just purchased a centerpoint sniper 370 and need to upgrade the bolts that came with it. I currently have 100gr broadheads. Does anyone have any recommendations on which bolts would work best with this? Bolt weight? brand? Are lighted nocks worth it? 

The stock Barnett Headhunter 20" bolts and 20 inch "carbon crossbolt" from Walmart perform nearly identical, with 125 grain field points on targets and 125 grain, 3-blade mechanical (o-ring style) broadheads on deer.  With my 300 fps Barnett Recruit,  I have to aim at a different spot each time at a target, out to 40 yards, or the first bolt gets destroyed by the second one.

My crossbow came with 100 grain field tips.  I switched to 125's, because I had a good inventory of mechanical and fixed blade broadheads.  I have not fired a fixed-blade broadhead with it, but I intend to try 3-blade Muzzy's, Allens, and Wasps this year.  I will hunt with the one that flies closest to the field-ponts.  I used my last mechanical last season.  I will only buy more if I can not get any of the fixed ones to match the field-points out to 40 yards.  I was not real happy with the penetration into the deer from longer range, so I will limit myself to that range anyhow.   I don't think that the mechanicals provide a significant advantage at shorter ranges, but they do hit right where the field-tips do out to 60 yards.     

70 additional fps might make that sniper a little more finicky with bolts and broadheads.  What kind of group are you holding with the stock bolts ?   Also, the sniper looks considerably more front-heavy than the recruit.  Even though my recruit handles ok offhand, I have only fired it at deer from a rest.   I hit all three deer that I shot at with my Recruit, and they all expired within 40 yards from where they were when they took the bolts.  The shots were taken from ranges of 59, 15, and 20 yards. 

I like what I hear about that Centerpoint sniper and if full inclusion would have happened this year, I would have bought one.   The additional forward weight would not bother me, because all of my stands and blinds have good rests.  That extra 70 fps would help out a lot on penetration  for longer shots.  Had it not struck the heart, the marginal 8" of penetration that I got at 59 yards would likely have resulted in a single lung hit and a long and difficult recovery.  Until full inclusion happens, I will just keep what I got and limit my range to closer shots.  I don't plan on spending another dime on equipment for that sport until we get all of archery season (unless something breaks).         

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I have had great luck with Black Eagle Executioners (BEE's).  Been shooting them out of my Sniper for 3 years this fall.  I use 100gr. NAP Spitfires and Lumenok nocks.  It's a deadly set-up, I've killed 2 bucks and two does in the last two years.

Edited by RangerClay
  • Like 1

i sighted the bow in with the arrows that came with it but from what i have read they are too light. Does anyone have a recommendation or preference on the weight of the arrow for hunting? 

Thanks for the input on the lumenoks. i use them on my compound and really like them.