Sept Goose

sodfather

Good luck, Jay !!  I never have had a flock of geese overhead with more than 3 shots in my gun....I did get 4 out of a flock once...Busted #1, MISSED #2, BUSTED #3, THREW ANOTHER SHELL IN THE BREECH AND BUSTED #4, THREW ANOTHER SHELL IN THE BREECH AND BUSTED #5...  Probably  the fanciest ( or LUCKIEST) shooting I ever did...  Wish I was going with you in the morning...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rob... said:

I am not trying to derail this thread. But, I have a question.

Are you hunting them over water or fields?

I only ask because there a ton of geese in this area, and I have never actually hunted them.

Fields tomorrow, every time I hunt geese on water they usually short stop the deeks. Need to set them close to your hide 

I prefer fields, yes . To explain myself better would be when hunting geese on the water birds usually stop and land to far outside your decoys and the shots are to far. If you hunt on water move the decoys close to where you will be standing or sitting. Hope this helps good luck

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I prefer fields, yes . To explain myself better would be when hunting geese on the water birds usually stop and land to far outside your decoys and the shots are to far. If you hunt on water move the decoys close to where you will be standing or sitting. Hope this helps good luck

Thank you. I really do appreciate the information and explanations. 

Take a pic of your setup/spread tomorrow....my interest is really starting build some steam.

A new lease we picked up last year has a few crop fields and this year the farmer planted corn and oats fields.
Well the oat field has been cut and I think has potential to hold birds.....gonna keep my eye on it and see what happens.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How'd you guys do? I saw less than 20 birds in the air all morning, suspect the spot they were roosting was shot up right at 606 and ruined the morning. Heard a huge volly of shots that way lol. I'd been up for over 48 hours so called it at 830. 

Edited by BigVal

On 9/1/2018 at 5:23 PM, BigVal said:

How'd you guys do? I saw less than 20 birds in the air all morning, suspect the spot they were roosting was shot up right at 606 and ruined the morning. Heard a huge volly of shots that way lol. I'd been up for over 48 hours so called it at 830. 

Not the greatest Val flights were limited we worked one good group but Tacs got flag happy lol. Then we worked another group and took 2. I left at 10 just way to hot. Buddy continued to hunt moved to water and had luck

987874B9-260C-4CE2-8CEE-053CE2F13A0D.jpeg

• Like 7