Ladder stands , are they secure?

So I just ordered my first ladder stand and put it up yesterday . Looks good and feels ok but I’m thinking I should reinforce it . I bought 8’ of thick chain with a hook on the end and thought I’d wrap it around the tree and under the seat. Also, I’d like to do a few additional ratchet straps in the center somewhere cuz it feels a little bowed when I go up and down the ladder. Again, I’ve never used a ladder stand; a buddy told me that if the tops ratcheted then it should be secure and thinks I’m overkilling the safety thing. What do you think? 

They are as safe as you make them. Make sure the bottom is seated on firm ground, the center support running from the center to the tree is attached and tight. When in doubt add a rachet strap. I only add chain when I am going to lock it to a tree so it doesn't get stolen.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I use nothing but ladder stands.  I put a strap on the top, one on the standing grate, and then one holding the support bar to the tree.   Ratchet straps are cheap don't be afraid to use them. And I replace them usually every other year.  

We do the same. 

• Like 1

I’m done with small wimpy ladderstands, well I got a couple up, but I have three of theses now ,platform to the tree, top and bottom straps and a much stronger ladder. Only issue is 75# shipping weight, but I carried this one in and put it up myself , well did not ratchet it yet waiting for a guy to foot it .

0B553771-54FE-4248-A359-7DA74F18A907.jpeg

D3C5E8B7-FE75-4F7B-8BB5-B9A7F841949C.jpeg

B7419AB6-7173-41BA-AFB6-B7E24B02EDF5.jpeg

• Like 1

I place something solid (like a board) under the legs of the ladder so that that don't sink into the ground.
Be careful with the board.....had the leg of a double ladder stand slip off the "board" into very soft ground/mud causing the ladder to twist and come detached from the platform. Let's just say lifelines are/will be on all my stands from now on. Need to be careful going up, coming down and while in it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When I'm 15-18' up in a ladder stand, I like to feel secure & safe! I always re-gift those crappy ratchet straps that come with the ladder stand, as well as that lashing rope string. Have put up & relocated a lot of ladder stands myself, there is a technique to doing this solo that hopefully you've found or have help. Have found a 22-24" section of PT 2x10/12" plank under the ladder's legs will keep it from sinking in during wet times. Once you get a ladder stand erected against the tree of your choice, those ropes that go from platform/last step area, around the tree and secured to lower/~2nd step. This is the only thing that is securing the upper/platform section when you have to climb up the ladder and secure the top to the tree. Invest in 100' of nylon (camo) ~1/2" rope. That's enough to do 2X stands. For the platform ratchet strap(s), I always use 2k# ratchet straps, one at upper/tree claw and other one at lower platform section. Now it's time to install the vertical brace. So I'm OCD about my security, but at the vert brace I use a ~1500# x 12/15' ratchet, run  from ladder -around opposite side of tree - to other side of ladder. In a "X" pattern. Your choice, but I do not like what the mfger supplies to secure ladder sections together, snapper pins. I replace them with 1/4" bolts, IRC they are 1-1/4 or 1-1/2" long. Along with regular 1/4" washers, I like to use bigger/fender type washers also to keep the sqr tubing from crushing. This will help ladder sections, esp when ascending and they typically "creak" some. Little squirt of camo spray paint hides the shiny bolts and helps corrosion.

All of these things I've mentioned were purchased from Tractor Supply, less the PT lumber footers. They are an added expense, sure, but they will make the cheapest or most rickety ladder stand super secure. If your budget won't allow all these items, at least invest in the HD rope upgrade. That makes the biggest impact, esp when you 1st go up the newly erected stand to initially put on top ratchet straps. Spooky times....

Seem like over-kill...!?! You'll thank me on windy days or when you ascend your stand and it does NOT have that bouncy, diving board feel. But... If you still are young enough to feel immortal, do whatever makes you &/or your budget happy!

FYI - Ladder stand Stay At Home Nomad had photos of above are the best ones I've found. Believe they are the Dick's/F&S Outlpost XL or something like that. Not crazy about the nylon seat/back support the mfger now uses. Old padded seats/back support were much better. Rugged materials, decent platform size and so far after 5-6yrs - durable. Occasionally on sale pre &/or post deer season.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I use nothing but ladder stands.  I put a strap on the top, one on the standing grate, and then one holding the support bar to the tree.   Ratchet straps are cheap don't be afraid to use them. And I replace them usually every other year.  

You ouhave a ratchet strap on the standing grate? Where, just underneath? 

I definitely like the idea of doing an additional strap somewhere in the middle of the ladder too and still may go with the chain even if overkill. 15 feet is a LONG way down 

42 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

You ouhave a ratchet strap on the standing grate? Where, just underneath? 

I definitely like the idea of doing an additional strap somewhere in the middle of the ladder too and still may go with the chain even if overkill. 15 feet is a LONG way down 

Yeah I also hook one to the standing grate.  Have seen where squirrels have chewed the top one and you don't know til your up there.  So I like another one in a different spot as a backup.  I hook it to the back of the grate on each side on the rim. 

Also like others said.  Don't bother with that string on the brace either .  I ratchet that right to the tree to.  

If you put a strap in the middle just be careful not to over tighten it.  Or your pulling in the ladder in the middle and the ladder will  ot be straight to take weight on it.  

My usual setup is at least one at the top often 2 (casue I will use the cheap one they give you and add another), one on the footplate, both long straps for setup wrapped around the tree and tied, then one for the stabilizer bar.  And before I ratchet anything I stand on the bottom ladder at try to push it into the ground some.  They are good and solid for sure.  I'm not a small guy and the stands don't move when I am getting in them.  

I wrap the ratchet line around the Y on the stabilizer and then put the hooks of the ratchet together and then tighten it right to the tree as well.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Most of our ladders are the cheapos and they work fine with one strap behind the seat and one on the stabilizer.  After a couple of seasons, we add another strap behind seat rather than replacing.   That’s it and they hold my big butt.  

One with def hold.  My fear is if that one gets chewed or damaged.  Always want a backup.  Twice have gone up stands to find the strap all chewed and barely together.  And once found the ratchet part smashed cause a big limb fell and hit it.  One will hold it for sure but the second makes it a just in case.  And for $4 def worth it if the first one fails for some reason. 

14 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Again, I’ve never used a ladder stand; a buddy told me that if the tops ratcheted then it should be secure and thinks I’m overkilling the safety thing. What do you think? 

I use 3 ratchets on mine. One on the bar secured to the tree and 2 at top on the foot rest and seat. This is a rock solid arrangement I find. Ratcheting the bar down first makes solo tree stand erection a  cinch also. I do not use the standard roping that comes with most stands. Too fussy 

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Again, I’ve never used a ladder stand; a buddy told me that if the tops ratcheted then it should be secure

One of the most important things is to check it each and every time before getting in. Some A holes have been known to pull the pins on stands when they discover the stand. I saw a incident on state land last year where the guy had his pins pulled, replaced them with bolts, left a dirty note, and still had it messed with. I have also heard of straps being loosened or cut. Never take anything for granted. Hunters as a rule are a good bunch but for whatever reason there always seems to be one or two bad apples in the barrel.

I can't imagine what these guys are thinking when they cause damage that could result in death or serious injuries but it something to look out for.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

I place something solid (like a board) under the legs of the ladder so that that don't sink into the ground.

You are better off sinking it into the ground as this will keep it in place vs a board it can slip on when wet.   We purposely sink them in to keep them from moving, some even have stake holes to allow it to be secured in place.  

9 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

When I'm 15-18' up in a ladder stand, I like to feel secure & safe! I always re-gift those crappy ratchet straps that come with the ladder stand, as well as that lashing rope string. Have put up & relocated a lot of ladder stands myself, there is a technique to doing this solo that hopefully you've found or have help. Have found a 22-24" section of PT 2x10/12" plank under the ladder's legs will keep it from sinking in during wet times. Once you get a ladder stand erected against the tree of your choice, those ropes that go from platform/last step area, around the tree and secured to lower/~2nd step. This is the only thing that is securing the upper/platform section when you have to climb up the ladder and secure the top to the tree. Invest in 100' of nylon (camo) ~1/2" rope. That's enough to do 2X stands. For the platform ratchet strap(s), I always use 2k# ratchet straps, one at upper/tree claw and other one at lower platform section. Now it's time to install the vertical brace. So I'm OCD about my security, but at the vert brace I use a ~1500# x 12/15' ratchet, run  from ladder -around opposite side of tree - to other side of ladder. In a "X" pattern. Your choice, but I do not like what the mfger supplies to secure ladder sections together, snapper pins. I replace them with 1/4" bolts, IRC they are 1-1/4 or 1-1/2" long. Along with regular 1/4" washers, I like to use bigger/fender type washers also to keep the sqr tubing from crushing. This will help ladder sections, esp when ascending and they typically "creak" some. Little squirt of camo spray paint hides the shiny bolts and helps corrosion.

All of these things I've mentioned were purchased from Tractor Supply, less the PT lumber footers. They are an added expense, sure, but they will make the cheapest or most rickety ladder stand super secure. If your budget won't allow all these items, at least invest in the HD rope upgrade. That makes the biggest impact, esp when you 1st go up the newly erected stand to initially put on top ratchet straps. Spooky times....

Seem like over-kill...!?! You'll thank me on windy days or when you ascend your stand and it does NOT have that bouncy, diving board feel. But... If you still are young enough to feel immortal, do whatever makes you &/or your budget happy!

FYI - Ladder stand Stay At Home Nomad had photos of above are the best ones I've found. Believe they are the Dick's/F&S Outlpost XL or something like that. Not crazy about the nylon seat/back support the mfger now uses. Old padded seats/back support were much better. Rugged materials, decent platform size and so far after 5-6yrs - durable. Occasionally on sale pre &/or post deer season.

Yes, this style ladder stand with the "D - ladder" is much more solid and stable.  I am in the process of switching my ladder stands over to these.  If you follow the ads you can eventually find them for around $130 or so, definitely worth the extra $50.  I also wish they had not changed the seat to the fabric style, probably will have to replace that eventually.

14 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I actually try to get mine to sink in to the first step.  Makes it even more stable. 

This is a great idea. However, it is not feasible where I hunt. I would need a pile driver to sink my stands to the first step!

I used to have a cheap ladder stand (set up on a friend's property) that sank in during the course of the season. It got to the point where the ladder was actually suspended from platform.....pretty scary situation. I have never had the legs sink in with any degree of predictability, usually one leg sinks in more than the other. I much prefer, using a board (plank) to provide a stable base and have never had any issues with it. I guess I could hollow out a couple spots on the plank to eliminate any possibility of slippage.

I buy stands rated for 300lbs. even though I weigh 210. Overkill? Maybe. But, that's what I'm comfortable with. Also, I buy stands with large platforms. It gives me the flexibility to move around a little bit if needed and adds to my comfort.

I sink the legs in as well. I find all my ladder stands super secure. All mine do have a chain added due to thieving bastids! Also serves as a secondary secure. I check straps and change when needed. I do like the idea of beefing up the middle rope and strapping the support bar.

I have a brand new X-Stand Duke that is designed with a claw system to secure to tree to be able to put up solo. It is a deluxe stand, I can't wait to use it I just do not have a spot for it yet!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I Went back Saturday to check on my stand and trail cams. I ended wrapping a chain around the tree near the seat and securing the ends of the chain with a nut and bolt . Feel like that should reinforce the top enough . Additionally, I brought an extra ratchet/ strap and secured the support bar to the tree near the bottom. There’s no way that even if a strap broke on the top that it could come down with the chain on it: right? ? 

2 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

So I Went back Saturday to check on my stand and trail cams. I ended wrapping a chain around the tree near the seat and securing the ends of the chain with a nut and bolt . Feel like that should reinforce the top enough . Additionally, I brought an extra ratchet/ strap and secured the support bar to the tree near the bottom. There’s no way that even if a strap broke on the top that it could come down with the chain on it: right? ? 

Theoretically it could spin if the stabilizer strap and seat strap broke and the chain is kinda loose, but it won't come down.  You will be fine.  Give it a year or two and it will grow into the tree.  lol  One I re-strapped on Friday had both seat straps shot and didn't move when I climbed it because it was grown well into the tree.  I added a new strap and good to go.