Must Have ATV Features

4x4.

A good sturdy hitch.

A winch is always useful at some point.

Heated grips, if you plan on much use during cold temps.

A mounting system for holding your bow or gun. Or other things.

An aluminum, removable "box" on the back rack for carrying "stuff".

And like said above, power steering,  and as big a motor as you can afford. Though 500 cc is plenty for me, 90% of the time.

Oh yeah.....and check back in, with pictures when you get her home!!!

Edited by grampy
  • Like 3

Basic features.... Racks front and back, I still like a no clutch manual transmission, 4x4, and aggressive tires. Tire repair kit ( including that green goop that seals the tires and blocks leaks ), a good grade hehmet, a trickle system to keep batteries charged when you don't use the ATV for long periods of time ), a gas additive which helps clear the crap from old gas and also helps keep the lines and carb clean. A realisation that it has a motor and needs to be maintained.

As for add ons, rifle and bow holders, sturdy foot racks ( pegs are a PITA on rough terrain ), some LED bulbs for headlights, a spare battery, and trailer. You can get as fancy as you want with add on after market parts.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JALA RUT said:

I'm in the market for an ATV, planning to get one within the next couple weeks.  What are some of the must have basic features and some of the nice extra features when choosing an ATV now a days? Thanks for any info in advance!

What are you planing on using it for ? Some things may be more important than others depending on you’re planed usage.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, rob-c said:

What are you planing on using it for ? Some things may be more important than others depending on you’re planed usage.. 

Hauling in ladder stands, etc. and hopefully hauling out deer.

Eventually some food plot work

Property and trail maintenance / hauling equipment like chain saw, etc.

Some trail riding

Cubic inches, storage ability (especially for intended use), power steering and hitch receiver.  Winch is nice too but can be added.     The one I just bought I planned for the same usage and have been thrilled with all of those features.  2up was important for me too.  Good luck.   The can am 1000 has been a beast.   

• Like 1

Cubic inches, storage ability (especially for intended use), power steering and hitch receiver.  Winch is nice too but can be added.     The one I just bought I planned for the same usage and have been thrilled with all of those features.  2up was important for me too.  Good luck.   The can am 1000 has been a beast.   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JALA RUT said:

Hauling in ladder stands, etc. and hopefully hauling out deer.

Eventually some food plot work

Property and trail maintenance / hauling equipment like chain saw, etc.

Some trail riding

Well as others have said, big cubes, some nice rack boxes or a trailer to pull behind to haul everything . And if your planing on a passenger as moog said a 2 up machine or maybe you would want a UTV ..

• Like 1

Probably the first question you should ask is "what are all the uses that you will have for the machine and how are the priorities ranked". Bigger is not always better. My machine is primarily used for snow plowing a 1000' driveway. Maneuverability is a huge primary concern. I have never found a lack of HP to be a concern. On the other hand other people may be interested in a food-plotting machine, or something that pulls firewood out of the woods. There may be passenger concerns for trail riders that mean nothing to me. Customize your choices to your needs.

So the first thing is to lay out as accurate a picture of your own personal needs for the machine and build your "want-list" from that.

• Like 1