What on Earth is This?

Bobonli

I was scouting out at Wildwood today in Suffolk and came across a bunch of these screwed into trees and a few buried in the dirt. They were well away from any marked trail; on the margins of a field and woods. 

Is this some sort of camera mount or maybe the holder for a wire fence?  There was no fence in the area. 

9E0845F1-50AD-4662-A008-B039B0188916.jpeg

• Like 1

I was within  Wildwood park according to both of my mapping apps including OnX. This is where the woods meets a field. The other side of the field is a DEC designated parking spot/ access point to the park for hunting. 

My initial thought was that the device held a wire. But no sign of a wire or any attempt to create a fence. There were maybe 3 of them and yes you could say they were in more or less a straight line. 

It doesn’t make sense to me to put a fence directly across from a designated access point.....but this is my first season so a lot of things don’t make sense!

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

Did you notice a trail cam nearby? Often oddly colored devices can be randomly placed in the woods to attract the attention of Bigfoot. Awesome find - congrats!
Run with or run away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea lol bigfoot lure or maybe some one was going to make like a artificial chock point  with the  electric fence where all the deer would get funneled to his spot .  

• 6 months later...
On 9/3/2018 at 7:36 PM, Bobonli said:

I was scouting out at Wildwood today in Suffolk and came across a bunch of these screwed into trees and a few buried in the dirt. They were well away from any marked trail; on the margins of a field and woods. 

Is this some sort of camera mount or maybe the holder for a wire fence?  There was no fence in the area. 

9E0845F1-50AD-4662-A008-B039B0188916.jpeg

Looks like someone has lead a "sheltered life".

16 hours ago, crappyice said:

This is a really old post whose mystery was solved months ago. We now have moon landings, service pets and liver and onions to squabble over tonight.

Look at the bright side, the Yeti and mountain lion posts have slowed down...:rolleyes: