New York State does it again!!!

Salmon_Run

The great state of New York has done it again, I'm officially angry !!!!!!

My two teenage daughter recently obtained their hunting and bow safety certificates and tomorrow they return to high school.

I took them out to lunch today to celebrate their accomplishments, bought each a knife for their hunting pack and off to the local town hall we go to purchase their first licenses.

Yep, I was greeted with "Oh, sorry the state system has been down for two days now, no idea when it will be back up", "maybe, we could call you and you could come back"....

Two disappointed girls and a mad father.....:aggressive: 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

Why don't you try purchasing the licenses online instead?  Maybe the system is only down in the town halls office and not the online purchasing system?  I've bought mine online for a number of years now and never had a problem.  You won't have to deal with long lines, dumb clerks, etc.  They mail them to you in a week or two.  Real simple process.

• Like 2

Congratulations to your daughters!  That's awesome, they and you, are very proud no doubt!!! 

Sorry you were not able to get their first licenses. I know how big a deal that is. Hopefully this weekend you will be successful. Course, it may cost you another hunting item for their packs!.................grin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Why don't you try purchasing the licenses online instead?  Maybe the system is only down in the town halls office and not the online purchasing system?  I've bought mine online for a number of years now and never had a problem.  You won't have to deal with long lines, dumb clerks, etc.  They mail them to you in a week or two.  Real simple process.

I'll give that a try and thought of that but wasn't sure because we are going off their certificates and they have no driver's license yet...

Thanks.....

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

Congratulations to your daughters!  That's awesome, they and you, are very proud no doubt!!! 

Sorry you were not able to get their first licenses. I know how big a deal that is. Hopefully this weekend you will be successful. Course, it may cost you another hunting item for their packs!.................grin.

Thanks, they are both good girls and we're proud of them, if it cost me more gear I 'm good with that too....

I got mom started in bow hunting several years ago and at a Cabela's visit I made the mistake of visiting the restroom leaving her unattended.  I came back and she was pushing one cart, dragging another behind and was having carbon arrows sized to length.

It's the price I'll pay to see them get outside and enjoy the hunting/fishing sports... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Salmon_Run said:

Thanks, they are both good girls and we're proud of them, if it cost me more gear I 'm good with that too....

I got mom started in bow hunting several years ago and at a Cabela's visit I made the mistake of visiting the restroom leaving her unattended.  I came back and she was pushing one cart, dragging another behind and was having carbon arrows sized to length.

It's the price I'll pay to see them get outside and enjoy the hunting/fishing sports... 

You are a lucky man!  Best of luck to all of you this season!

7 minutes ago, grampy said:

You are a lucky man!  Best of luck to all of you this season!

Yes, I truly am, thank you!!

They have learned patience, determination, a sense of what the value of taking a life means and they love our homemade venison jerky...and well more trips to buy gear for me!!!

The wife, girls and I built our off grid camp where all the materials came in on a wheeler. The only hired help was with the roof, they never complained and we completed it in 40 days..... 

thumbnail.jpeg

Edited by Salmon_Run
added photo
  • Like 10

43 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I started buying online last year, much easier and better then going in person. 

The only problem I had was I forgot my sons password and never had time to call during business hours so we ended up going to Walmart. 

41 minutes ago, Salmon_Run said:

I'll give that a try and thought of that but wasn't sure because we are going off their certificates and they have no driver's license yet...

Thanks.....

It’s easy, somewhat crappy website but easy. 

You only need the info from the certificate as far as I remember. Oh and it must be done on a pc, I pad ain’t gonna cut it .

47 minutes ago, steve863 said:

been there ,done that. I went to my archery place and they couldn't do it so I tried online HORRIBLE. The system was down I couldn't get any hunting licenses only fresh water fishing and the it wouldn't let me go to checkout. I  called and got someone who barely spoke English and didn't know how to work the system.  she tells me im not in the system I told her im looking right at my profile. well any way I went back to the archery place and got it there when the guy who does the licenses got there. oh and congrats to your daughters, great to see hunting still being passed on

2 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

Good call, the last roof guy you had damn near lost a finger and bled out when he stopped for a sub on the way to get stitches. 

Buddy, look at the bright side:

1) great story

2) you healed up at your age

3) lesson learned, never trust wet leaves on a metal roof to hold your ladder

4) after you were stitched up I got those nice medical tools for fly tying

5) chimney cap still hanging in there

All positives my friend !!!!

2 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Your daughters will never forget building your camp with you.  It must make it even more special when you spend time there together.  You cannot put a price tag on family time like that.  Good luck getting them all legal beagle.  

It was fun and they were younger then and the wife had no building experience...

It made camp a magical place where they look foreword to go and be kids away from electronics and enjoy simple pleasures. They also learned that hard work has great rewards for years to come. 

1 hour ago, sits in trees said:

Man it's gotten to a point where people will blame their hemorrhoids on NYS

Well, you would think after how many years DECALS has been in operation that New York could manage to have it working proficiently by now...

It's a great thing that as an entity the state dosn't have to show a profit and are supported off the backs of the working class.

went down to the Town Clerk yesterday and I got my bow license and two permits and wife got her fishing license yesterday morning (9:00 am). The Clerk mentioned that the system had been down.

Compared to how the process used to be, I have absolutely no complaints. No producing old licenses or any certificates. No long hand written forms to fill out. Now with my lifetime licenses, all I have to do is tell her what I want to get. No ID (we've been on a first name basis for decades), and now with the lifetime license, and being older than dirt, I don't even have to come up with any money......lol. Yeah, computers occasionally crash, but we should be getting used to that by now. That isn't a problem that's unique to the DEC.

Edited by Doc

Guess it has become the norm to expect this and the need to make multiple trips to accomplish a goal when one depends on the state.

Sad, I worked 32 years in emergency services and was directly responsible if a computer "crashed" or service was sub-par in any way.   :search:

Seriously Salmon, try buying it online.  It may save you a trip out of the house.  I would think most youngsters getting their first hunting license don't have a drivers license yet, so there may be a work around that.  Once you are in the online system it takes like 5 minutes to purchase next years license. 

• Like 1