What knife will you be using for hunting this year ?

Hunter007

don't laugh but a set of 2 that I got from the nra one to gut and a smaller one to eat with[no teeth pbj no problem, apples= problem] and one I got a looonnngg time ago in hermans but I am very  careful about keeping them sharp. A sharp knife I don't care a $5 or a $500 knife if its not sharp or cant get or hold an edge its worthless. now stainless is notorious for being hard to put an edge on but if you take your time and keep the angle [22degs] it will work very well and just need to be touched up abit ,they go dull easily. Now I don't want to get off the subject but one thing its a new season I do is sharpen ALL MY knives and change my batteries in ALL my  equipment that take batteries like fashlites .head lamp and my range finder [once I didn't and my flashlite didn't work well it was all green and oxidized in side so I learned my lesson] and use new FRESH  batteries no surprises in the dark or when im in the field and have to improvise. 

Northern Zone: Buck 110,  Southern Zone: Schrade Sharpfinger. One other essential item, in both areas, is the But-Out-II.  The one that I picked up from Amazon for about $ 6.00 a few years ago has saved me many minutes of "prime-time" (Thanks again Chef for the recommendation).  The knife don't matter that much as long as it is sharp.  The Schrade definitely holds an edge longer, but my father-in-law would get mad if I did not use the old Buck knife , that he once gave me as a Christmas gift, up at his place.  Hopefully all the tools will see plenty of action, starting in just a little over a month.       

6 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

f I did not use the old Buck knife , that he once gave me as a Christmas gift, up at his place

3 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Why different knives for the NZ and SZ? 

I believe he uses the one that was gifted to him, when he hunts with his FIL , the gift giver .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tommyc50 said:

don't laugh but a set of 2 that I got from the nra one to gut and a smaller one to eat with[no teeth pbj no problem, apples= problem] and one I got a looonnngg time ago in hermans but I am very  careful about keeping them sharp. A sharp knife I don't care a $5 or a $500 knife if its not sharp or cant get or hold an edge its worthless. now stainless is notorious for being hard to put an edge on but if you take your time and keep the angle [22degs] it will work very well and just need to be touched up abit ,they go dull easily. Now I don't want to get off the subject but one thing its a new season I do is sharpen ALL MY knives and change my batteries in ALL my  equipment that take batteries like fashlites .head lamp and my range finder [once I didn't and my flashlite didn't work well it was all green and oxidized in side so I learned my lesson] and use new FRESH  batteries no surprises in the dark or when im in the field and have to improvise. 

sharp knife I don't care a $5 or a $500 knife 

Yep the browning I got 20 years ago  cost alot at that time .

The other one I got at the tractor supply store for 6 dollars   I us it sometimes just because its feather  light but just as sharp .

20180907_062205.jpg