My 2018 Barn Plot..

Couple pics of the construction of my "Barn Plot" for 2018

A difference of protected and unprotected beans.. 

Last pic is a view from the edge of the plot in.. Plot is slightly over an acre.. I have Hybrid sorghum and Egyptian Wheat as a barrier screen so no one can see from the seasonal road in"(which is about 75 yards to my right). And the deer feel more secure. AG beans protected by fence, almost ready to turn yellow.. The outside edges are a brassicsa bulb blend with WW and a clover mix for next year early bow season. Once beans begin the yellowing phase I will seed 100# of Triticale into them for a green understory. 

A woochuck has been raising hell with my fall plantings.. He needs to catch a pill soon.. 

20180617_091347.jpg

20180703_161745.jpg

20180802_161244.jpg

Barn Plot 9.7.18.jpg

• Like 10

The yellow tape is just cheap flagging caution tape. But i left the electric parts non powered for the first couple weeks to test the theory of a non electric dual perimeter fence.. well, they walked right between the lines, etc.. It didnt stop them whatsoever. 

So on the 3rd or 4th week I powered the fence.. and for some reason I wasnt getting good power though it. I could hold onto it and get zapped but it wasnt anything to be terrified of. But It must have got them good enough with there wet nose and non rubber soles lol,  the deer stayed a ways away from it for many weeks. They wouldnt even eat the beans outside the fence. 

For the last few weeks its been non powered and the deer must still not like it because they have not touched them. IT grounded out and burned up the battery. Just needs new batteries. I need to clean it up and re power it so i can keep them out until atleast the rut or later. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

The yellow tape is just cheap flagging caution tape. But i left the electric parts non powered for the first couple weeks to test the theory of a non electric dual perimeter fence.. well, they walked right between the lines, etc.. It didnt stop them whatsoever. 

So on the 3rd or 4th week I powered the fence.. and for some reason I wasnt getting good power though it. I could hold onto it and get zapped but it wasnt anything to be terrified of. But It must have got them good enough with there wet nose and non rubber soles lol,  the deer stayed a ways away from it for many weeks. They wouldnt even eat the beans outside the fence. 

For the last few weeks its been non powered and the deer must still not like it because they have not touched them. IT grounded out and burned up the battery. Just needs new batteries. I need to clean it up and re power it so i can keep them out until atleast the rut or later. 

have had good luck with offset fencing even if the inside isn't electrified. it works visually for them to make them think they can't clear it when in reality they could easily.

7 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

have had good luck with offset fencing even if the inside isn't electrified. it works visually for them to make them think they can't clear it when in reality they could easily.

That is what I tried at first Hoping they wouldn't attempt jumping it. Always wanted to try it and see. Well they walked right through it. This pic shows it, but the interior fence had sagged from not being tight enough and the wind. The wind moves/stretches it like crazy. Even after tightening it back up.. they still just pushed between the lines of fencing..  

IMG_0019.JPG

I had a similar experience to Let Em Grow.  They stayed out for quite awhile, even though the fence wasn't electrified.  At some point they decided they wanted beans and they just started walking though it.  The beans were a couple feet tall by then, so I just took the fence down.  We don't have high deer density, so it wasn't a big deal.  

Great pics by the way.  Interesting to see the difference.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Just imagine the attraction you would have had in October (as long as we don't get lots of early frost) had you planted those soybeans a week or so ago.        

I think they were pretty attracted to the beans on the outside of the fence.  You don't seem to get the idea that deer eat the pods late season. 

4 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

You don't seem to get the idea that deer eat the pods late season. 

They may or may not, depending on what else is around.  What deer will leave standing corn in the daylight during later gun-season to feed on dry soybean pods ?   From the time the beans begin to brown, until they are dry, is about the least-attractive to deer.  The OP photos, of in and out of the fence, illustrate just how attractive green and growing soybeans are to them.   That is the main reason that I like a late-summer planting, as part of a mix which includes wheat and white clover.    A secondary reason is that "free" leftover soybeans are always easy to come by in the late summer.  If you plant earlier, you usually have to pay a premium price.  Unlike corn seed, which stores very well, soybeans are oily and loose considerable germination when stored for more than a year.   

I only tried an early summer soybean planting one time and it backfired badly on me.  It was a very wet spring and I did not get one big plot worked up early enough for corn, so I planted it with RR soybeans.  It was about 4 acres and they did pretty good.  The trouble was, the coyotes found that field.  There was one den right on the edge of it, where I found a number of fawn skulls.  That was the only year I remember not seeing any fawns on our farm after bow-season opened.   It seemed like the coyotes were eating the soybeans after they ate up all the fawns.  On more days than not thru the late summer, I would see at least one out in that field, but never a deer.  I suppose they are high in protein, just like venison.  If the state ever opened up year-round coyote season, I might consider a late spring or early summer planting.

I do get it that deer eat soybean pods and I believe that they can contribute to antler growth.  In my younger days, I was a little more into the antlers.  That was a reason why I bought a narrow slice of land, out in the next town, along side of a big farm where they grew lots of soybeans.   I never killed a booner there, in the couple years that I owned it, but I did kill my only buck with more than 9 antler points.   It was a "genetic- wonder" 1-1/2 year old 10-point with split brow tines.      The area was known for big-racked bucks and all those Ag soybean pods no doubt contributed to that. 

I honestly did not see the rack when I pulled the trigger of my 12 gauge slug-gun, or I might have passed him.  I heard and then saw the movement behind me, from up about 16 feet in a stand (yes I was young and "stupid" then).  When I got turned around, his head was behind a tree, but it was clearly an adult deer and I had a doe permit and a buck tag.  He bolted into the woods after I shot.  I caught a glimpse of his body (not the rack) when he reached an opening and fired a second shot, at which he folded up like a pheasant hit with a full pattern.   I could not believe that I hit the off-hand, full-tilt run shot at 75 yards, thru broken hardwoods, but missed the rested, open shooting lane, standing broadside shot from the same distance.  It turned out that I did not, but it was a pure coincidence that he expired from my first "double lunger" at the instant I fired my second shot (clean miss).             

Edited by wolc123

Nobody short of the baby Jesus could change your mind, but...

Tens of thousands of people plant soybeans as a late season food for deer.

Soybeans store over the winter just fine. I have stored them 2 years in a 5 gallon bucket with a cover.

The coyotes killed the fawns, not the soybeans.

Soybeans are easier and cheaper to plant than corn.

Deer eat soybeans from the time they come up until the pods are gone, minus the few weeks they dry down.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Nobody short of the baby Jesus could change your mind, but...

Tens of thousands of people plant soybeans as a late season food for deer.

Soybeans store over the winter just fine. I have stored them 2 years in a 5 gallon bucket with a cover.

The coyotes killed the fawns, not the soybeans.

Soybeans are easier and cheaper to plant than corn.

Deer eat soybeans from the time they come up until the pods are gone, minus the few weeks they dry down.

You got a few things right on that one.  I would plant them in the spring if Jesus allowed NY state to open up a year-round coyote hunting season.   He is at the reigns and He must have better uses for those "vermin" right now.   

Have you tested your germination percentage loss after two years of storage ?   I have had corn stored up to 5 years and not lost a significant percentage.    Also, corn does not need to be expensive, if you learn a few tricks.  Planting it for food-plots is far different than planting it for agricultural production.   One of the secrets for cost-savings is getting most of you nitrogen for free through rotation by keeping 3/4 of your plot acreage in perennial clover.  Few agricultural corn producers have the spare acreage or time to do that, but most food-plotters do.     

The biggest problem with that 3 week or so period that you mentioned, when spring planted soybeans are so abhorrent to deer, is that it falls right in the middle of hunting season.   Corn is a much better late season attractant and clover is a much better nitrogen source.   Throwing the coyotes into that mix should give you a pretty good idea of why I will not mess around  with spring planted soybeans these days.

You got a few things right on that one.  I would plant them in the spring if Jesus allowed NY state to open up a year-round coyote hunting season.   He is at the reigns and He must have better uses for those "vermin" right now.   
Have you tested your germination percentage loss after two years of storage ?   I have had corn stored up to 5 years and not lost a significant percentage.    Also, corn does not need to be expensive, if you learn a few tricks.  Planting it for food-plots is far different than planting it for agricultural production.   One of the secrets for cost-savings is getting most of you nitrogen for free through rotation by keeping 3/4 of your plot acreage in perennial clover.  Few agricultural corn producers have the spare acreage or time to do that, but most food-plotters do.     
The biggest problem with that 3 week or so period that you mentioned, when spring planted soybeans are so abhorrent to deer, is that it falls right in the middle of hunting season.   Corn is a much better late season attractant and clover is a much better nitrogen source.   Throwing the coyotes into that mix should give you a pretty good idea of why I will not mess around  with spring planted soybeans these days.

Wait a minute here you think Jesus had Controll over weather NY has a year round coyote season. Dude you are one twisted individual. Were you a crack head or meth addict that was saved by Jesus? The more I read your babble the more that’s what I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I farmed for most of my life, so crop rotation isn't news to me.  3 years of clover would help, but won't replace $20 worth of urea.  Soybeans also fix nitrogen. 

I can't believe you're so upset about 3 weeks of yellow beans.  How long is hunting season in NY?  Besides, you can adjust your planting date.  I planted 3rd week of June this year, 1st week of July last year.  I got good pods both years.

Coyotes and soybeans don't go hand in hand.  At least not in the world outside you brain.  

I tested soybeans after two winters.  I got about 85% germination.  Besides, I'm not really concerned with perfect germination rates from my free soybeans.  As you pointed out, it's not ag production, it's food plotting.  

Maybe you should just preach corn and Jesus and leave soybeans for people with a better understanding.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Maybe you should just preach corn and Jesus and leave soybeans for people with a better understanding.  

Thank you for bringing up His name repeatedly.  You simply can not have too much of that on a hunting website, so I appreciate all the help I can get.  That goes double for you also Chef.  You are damn right that He controls the fate of the coyotes just like He does every other living thing (hint- try googling Bible and sparrow and see what comes up if you don't believe that).  I will always give Him all the credit I can for keeping my family so well fed for all these years.   

Thank you for bringing up His name repeatedly.  You simply can not have too much of that on a hunting website, so I appreciate all the help I can get.  That goes double for you also Chef.  You are damn right that He controls the fate of the coyotes just like He does every other living thing (hint- try googling Bible and sparrow and see what comes up if you don't believe that).  I will always give Him all the credit I can for keeping my family so well fed for all these years.   

Although you ignored the main part of my comment because it must be true.... crack... meth.... heroin. What was it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Although you ignored the main part of my comment because it must be true.... crack... meth.... heroin. What was it

How did you make out when you googled the songbird ?  Do not worry, for it is never too late to be saved.  You may also want to read the rules of this forum, although I personally do not mind the attacks.   I would like to keep you around here as long as possible. 

How did you make out when you googled the songbird ?  Do not worry, for it is never too late to be saved.  You may also want to read the rules of this forum, although I personally do not mind the attacks.   I would like to keep you around here as long as possible. 

Again avoiding the question... guess I got you figured out my friend.... you dropped your addiction to drugs and picked up Jesus... it’s usually the weak ones that needs some sort of false guidance

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Again avoiding the question... guess I got you figured out my friend.... you dropped your addiction to drugs and picked up Jesus... it’s usually the weak ones that needs some sort of false guidance

I will keep praying for you Chef.  Good luck hunting this year.   I hope you get to use your butt-out multiple times.   

I will keep praying for you Chef.  Good luck hunting this year.   I hope you get to use your butt-out multiple times.   

See you can’t lie because your beliefs won’t let you.... so you won’t deny you’re just a junkie who decided to focus on Jesus instead of drugs.... its on pal we all understand the drugs warped your already simple mind.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

See you can’t lie because your beliefs won’t let you.... so you won’t deny you’re just a junkie who decided to focus on Jesus instead of drugs.... its on pal we all understand the drugs warped your already simple mind.

You are definitely persistent Chef, I will give you that.  Most would have got worn down by now, but you just keep coming back for more.   You make me feel very special, having my own internet stalker.   

Edited by wolc123

3 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Do they have a local AA group in your area ?   From what I have heard, they use a faith-based method for helping folks with that problem.   

To get the thread back on track: it does not sound like you are having too much luck with your radish plot.   There is still plenty of time (thanks to climate change maybe) to get in a plot of soybeans / winter wheat / and white clover.

Just get your ground worked up with your disc, then broadcast the wheat at about a bushel/acre and the soybeans at about 1/2 bushel/acre.  After that, drive all over it with your atv tires to push in the seeds.  Next, broadcast the white clover at about 5 pounds per acre, then repeat the ATV tire compaction.  

The soybeans in the plot that I planted like that, a little over a week ago, were looking pretty good while I was out checking my coon traps yesterday, which were set in the adjacent corn plot.  They were up about a half inch already, and germination / seed distribution looked real good across the 1/2 acre plot.  I went a little heavier on the soybeans and lighter on the wheat because my wheat supply was low but I had a big fresh bag of soybeans. 

Edited by wolc123