My 2018 Barn Plot..

2 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I like the idea of forage soybeans for a draw, as the protein levels are on a decline this time of year. The only thing that would throw a wrench in the ointment would be a frost. I suppose with the mid to late October frost we seem to be having now, it would be worth the gamble.

Mine looked like they gained about another half inch of growth yesterday, when I checked my coon traps this morning.  No more coons in the traps and the corn damage looks to be under control for now.    I will hit them again next weekend just to make sure.    A combination of winter wheat and young soybeans just might outdraw oats and maybe even white oak acorns.   I am thinking that the deer and turkeys will probably get all the soybean before the frost but like you say, with "free" soybeans, it is not even much of a gamble.        

On 9/7/2018 at 5:28 PM, wolc123 said:

Just imagine the attraction you would have had in October (as long as we don't get lots of early frost) had you planted those soybeans a week or so ago.        

I have a 1/3 acre of forage soybeans planted on July 30th for my wife to hunt over during Early Bow season. Believe me I know the power of green soybeans in Bow season. It is the highest on the preferred list no doubt. But ive also seen the Magic/Power of Late season Bean Pods. Therefore i have a plot for early bow season and a plot for late season. 

I know other people who dont think soybean pods will attract deer during winter.  Yet Most of these people dont understand either that, hunting pressure or any type of pressure for that matter, and an abundance of food else where can keep deer from eating them.  Lack of near by Cover etc.. Beans are much more nutritious during the winter than anything else you could possibly plant for the whitetail.  While something is better than nothing, If im trying to harvest one of our hit list bucks, I have to pull them off neighboring property .. And my Best bet over the years, seems to be late season, The way my property is setup. My cams are proof that the bucks will be in and around these late season plots all day and night for a couple of weeks during the "Post Rut Bulk Up" Period.  These beans should begin yellowing by weeks end i would think. Then they will get over seeded with triticale .. 

21 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I like the idea of forage soybeans for a draw, as the protein levels are on a decline this time of year. The only thing that would throw a wrench in the ointment would be a frost. I suppose with the mid to late October frost we seem to be having now, it would be worth the gamble.

Definitely worth the gamble! They handle browse better and their protein numbers stay high until dead. I think they are great for early bow plots, planted late summer with a brassica/bulb or another type of annual like Balansa.  That way when Beans die, you still have some preferred foods available. Again, Im big into mixes for many reasons.