Plot progress

Added some 15-15-15 today.  Plot looks pretty good although the forage rape is yellowing a bit. Hoping the new fert helps and the clover planted in the plot starts adding nitrogen.  Natalie was amazed at how big those little seeds she planted with me last weekend of July grew. 

90536B8F-A774-4A47-A16E-AE6046F6238A.jpeg

284859AC-7A73-4DBA-BC99-E5A9A0630259.jpeg

19DBE062-DF7B-4DD5-9DE0-9966D8B95B79.png

• Like 13

Added some 15-15-15 today.  Plot looks pretty good although the forage rape is yellowing a bit. Hoping the new fert helps and the clover planted in the plot starts adding nitrogen.  Natalie was amazed at how big those little seeds she planted with me last weekend of July grew. 
90536B8F-A774-4A47-A16E-AE6046F6238A.thumb.jpeg.878217b566b8cd6b7a49b2c87dbadc32.jpeg
284859AC-7A73-4DBA-BC99-E5A9A0630259.thumb.jpeg.6e1e1caec116c772ef7f2894f14134d7.jpeg
19DBE062-DF7B-4DD5-9DE0-9966D8B95B79.thumb.png.c7a672746a4f92f094eea2043c51fa2a.png

Wow you have radish that big and you planted the last week of July. I planted August 5th and I don’t even see any tuber development.... I wonder what you did that I didn’t. I may have planted too many

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, chefhunter86 said:

Wow you have radish that big and you planted the last week of July. I planted August 5th and I don’t even see any tuber development.... I wonder what you did that I didn’t. I may have planted too many

It’s good soil there.  The second plot I did is not near as good but I also failed to spray which was a mistake.  

It’s good soil there.  The second plot I did is not near as good but I also failed to spray which was a mistake.  

Do you have tuber development in the not as good plot? When did you start to notice it in the first one... sorry for all the questions this is my first year with radish. And it’s on soil that has never been farmed

1 minute ago, chefhunter86 said:

Do you have tuber development in the not as good plot? When did you start to notice it in the first one... sorry for all the questions this is my first year with radish. And it’s on soil that has never been farmed

No tubers at plot 2.   It’s overrun with thistle and what brassicas I do see are quite small still.  Not sure when they started on this plot as I haven’t been there since plNting until yesterday.  

No tubers at plot 2.   It’s overrun with thistle and what brassicas I do see are quite small still.  Not sure when they started on this plot as I haven’t been there since plNting until yesterday.  

Thanks!

2 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Chef, from your pictures I think Moog gets more sunlight and probley got a little deeper into the ground with his tilling method.

Chef, from your pictures I think Moog gets more sunlight and probley got a little deeper into the ground with his tilling method.

Both are probably true, do you think I have a shot at getting tuber developement at all ?

Looking Good Moog! Thats exciting i bet!

You will definitely notice when they start hitting them! Especially if your near any bedding cover. If you have an abundance of good quality foods around, your deer probably wont eat them heavily yet. If a lack of quality/preferred food is present at that time, they will eat them early no doubt.

Deer waiting for frost to eat brassica plants is a false statement. The only reason it seems that deer wait for frost to eat brassicas is for the fact that after a good frost, most plants die and are no longer green/preferred..  Most common brassica plants for food plots stay green below freezing, even some more than others. Therefore after frost, they will definitely eat what ever is green and palatable still... Brassicas. I used to be a believer of that phrase for a long time, until i did some digging when i had my first brassica plot get wiped out early..

That is why you will see Deer browsing green honeysuckle leaves in Novemeber.. Its the only green left in the woods.. 

Edited by LET EM GROW

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

Looking Good Moog! Thats exciting i bet!

You will definitely notice when they start hitting them! Especially if your near any bedding cover. If you have an abundance of good quality foods around, your deer probably wont eat them heavily yet. If a lack of quality/preferred food is present at that time, they will eat them early no doubt.

Deer waiting for frost to eat brassica plants is a false statement. The only reason it seems that deer wait for frost to eat brassicas is for the fact that after a good frost, most plants die and are no longer green/preferred..  Most common brassica plants for food plots stay green below freezing, even some more than others. Therefore after frost, they will definitely eat what ever is green and palatable still... Brassicas. I used to be a believer of that phrase for a long time, until i did some digging when i had my first brassica plot get wiped out early..

That is why you will see Deer browsing green honeysuckle leaves in Novemeber.. Its the only green left in the woods.. 

This plot has a quite a bit of varied ag in the area.  Corn, soybeans and clover are all still available to the deer.  I am really banking on this being used when those are no longer available.  I am just hoping the plants don't grow too big before they become a preferred choice. 

• Like 1

Good lort! You got some good eating there. Hopefully they come in and hit it for you with some cold weather.

I learned the hard way the first 2 years doing bulb plots on our family farm in 8P .. The deer never touched a brassica plant i planted until year 3. It was weird and sucked at the same time lol. Didn't seem like there was any winter food around but they would not touch the leaves nor the bulb. Harvested corn and soybean fields around as well. 

18 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Good lort! You got some good eating there. Hopefully they come in and hit it for you with some cold weather.

I learned the hard way the first 2 years doing bulb plots on our family farm in 8P .. The deer never touched a brassica plant i planted until year 3. It was weird and sucked at the same time lol. Didn't seem like there was any winter food around but they would not touch the leaves nor the bulb. Harvested corn and soybean fields around as well. 

In mendon, the deer took to brassicas year one - like bucks hitting it every night especially later in season.  It will be interesting to see what happens here.  I did try throwing some brassicas in this plot 5 years ago but it was mostly clover - then the plot slowly died away from clover until I tried the brassicas this year.  They didn't seem to hit the brassicas back then.  But there weren't many.  We shall see.  Its hard to do the work if they don't use it for a few years but it may end up paying off long term.  At least it keeps the plot looking nice if nothing else.  lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moog5050 said:

In mendon, the deer took to brassicas year one - like bucks hitting it every night especially later in season.  It will be interesting to see what happens here.  I did try throwing some brassicas in this plot 5 years ago but it was mostly clover - then the plot slowly died away from clover until I tried the brassicas this year.  They didn't seem to hit the brassicas back then.  But there weren't many.  We shall see.  Its hard to do the work if they don't use it for a few years but it may end up paying off long term.  At least it keeps the plot looking nice if nothing else.  lol

I hear you. They ignored my pure stand of daikon radish a few years ago. a whole 1.5 cres worth. never touched top nor bottom. next year i mixed them in with PPT, and they ate everything. Thats one reason i like blends, if they dont like one species, hopefully theyll like the other. Until you see what they like/ are used to..

Keep us posted!