Oh no...

2012_taco

I'm extremely bummed. I knew this day would come but I always hoped it wouldn't. One of the pieces of property I hunt and have hunted for over 20 years just sold. I had no idea it was up for sale, there was no for sale sign. I met the new owner today and he is planning on putting up a new house. I may be able to continue to hunt it this year as there is no way he will be able start the house before the end of deer season. I hope so as I put in 2 food plots and they are both doing good,  plus I have 4 stands already up.  He took my name and phone # said he will get back to me, here's hoping!

On a positive note I did tell him about the food plots and the stands and he didn't tell me to take the stands down! I asked if he hunted and he sad not really but he has nothing against it. Another positive!

Edited by 2012_taco
added text.
  • Like 2

Tell the man you're willing to help him out with his new place any way you can.  Ask if he likes wild game meat and offer to provide it.  Let him know how much you want to earn the right to hunt his place and that he will be the boss.  Every property owner would like to have a partner who does some of the heavy lifting and can be trusted.  Brush up on your salesmanship skills and sell the benefits of forming a partnership.

• Like 1

This is one of the reasons I bought my own piece of land ,  When i was younger It was alot easier to knock on the door and ask and get permission, then I lost my main piece of hunting ground as some was sold or took over by other family members of the owner. Then I tried the lease thing but got tired of getting out bid ...and changing hunting land year to year

I got the call yesterday and after talking to his attorney and insurance agent the new owner told me he is not going to be able to let me continue to hunt the property. That sucks!   I totally understand, at least he gave me 2 weeks to get my stands out. I still have permission the hunt the piece adjacent to this piece but all my mowed lanes to access the other piece are on his property. I asked if he would at least allow me to continue to use the trails and he said no, "I can't have people walking on the property with guns" 

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

again liability issues even though he is fully protected under ny laws.. attorneys do not know or mention the laws to them..crazy. biggest reason people dont allow hunting 

I told him I would sign a waiver. I told him he could check with the previous owner as there has been absolutely no problem the entire time he owned the piece. 

Thank God I was able to hunt it for as long as I did!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, G-Man said:

should print out law and show him. if liability is really his concern

Once they hear from their attorney and insurance man it’s over . They both may very well know about the general obligation law, but they’ve convinced him that things can still happen , it’s no skin off his nose to keep hunters off .

• Like 1