First year archery for me and excited !

turkeyfeathers

41 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I've still never experienced any rut activity in 26 years . 

I try to be in the woods Halloween- gun opener 3-4xs a week. I dont see it every year,  but usually see some kind of chasing. I hope you can see it  sometime Jeremy , its spectacular.

24 minutes ago, kpkot said:

I try to be in the woods Halloween- gun opener 3-4xs a week. I dont see it every year,  but usually see some kind of chasing. I hope you can see it  sometime Jeremy , its spectacular.

I'm probably gonna spend more time at my secondary spot this year after my dad goes to florida for the winter. I may have a better chance at seeing some action.

• Like 1

TF... I just started 3 years ago and I kick myself for not getting into bow hunting much sooner in life... You will see more dee bow hunting than during gun season!

The one thing that I will never forget for the rest of my life was the sound of a double lung hit on an 8 pointer...  My first bow kill!  My hat is off to all the folks on this site that helped and encouraged you to try this out... you are going to have soooo much fun out there!  Good luck!

TF I know you love that minus 10 degrees, 25 mph wind and snowing to beat all hell weather to gun hunt in. You may hate a nice 45 degree morning with the falling fall leaves with a rainbow full of colors, the activity in the fall woods as all the habitants hustle to prepare for the coming deep freeze, and for a couple weeks anyway deer acting naturally before they get scared poopless and actually move during the day a lot.

It is not near as rewarding as shoveling a path to your stand through 3 feet of snow or trying to gut a deer before it freezes solid...…

I think your gonna like it!!

• Like 5

On 9/9/2018 at 8:27 PM, Steve D said:

Congratulations on taking the plunge. I bet you won't regret a minute of it. It is without doubt one of the prettiest times of the year to be in the woods and if it isn't hot also one of the nicest times. It is the time of year I don't care if I am successful or not. Just all you see makes it all worth it to me.

Don't be in to big of a rush to up the poundage. Some of them very chilly mornings after sitting for a couple of hours it may become difficult to draw that extra poundage. Make sure you are comfortable with it or you may regret it later.

Enjoy yourself and I look forward to hearing of your journey through the best time of the year there is to hunt deer.

i only shoot 52 lbs arrow goes right thru.. more lbs more injuries to your shoulder especialy when your cold and stiff

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

I saw about 150 deer in bow season last year, i think 3 in gun. Its so nice to see unspooked deer, 5 bucks chasing the same doe, bucks fighting. 

almost the same here - i do the DEC  log and saw 104 in bow season.   Saw 5 deer in gun season. And this last year I rattled one in for the first time, saw an 8 point chasing a 4 away and snort wheezing at him , when gun starts its a bit of a letdown although i do like opening day.   

• Like 1

The hardest thing for me when I started bow hunting was not to rush the shot.  I always tell myself " easy" now before I Shoot.  Get that pin and yourself settled before you let it fly.  

I've always been a quick shot with the gun too, but never had much problem with that.  Bow I just couldn't stop the quick shot for a while and it def affected my accuracy when it counted.  

I wouldn't ever make a good tv host for a hunting show cause the camera guy would only be getting the on the ground pics.  Lol 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

The hardest thing for me when I started bow hunting was not to rush the shot.  I always tell myself " easy" now before I Shoot.  Get that pin and yourself settled before you let it fly.  

I've always been a quick shot with the gun too, but never had much problem with that.  Bow I just couldn't stop the quick shot for a while and it def affected my accuracy when it counted.  

I wouldn't ever make a good tv host for a hunting show cause the camera guy would only be getting the one the ground pics.  Lol 

The hardest thing for me was staying in the woods past 9 when I first started . 

Welcome to the fun! Last year was my first year and wish I started earlier. I didn’t have anyone to help and I always assumed it was hard to learn and I didn’t have the time. Turns out it’s pretty simply to be proficient out to 35-40yds in a short amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Another thing I would recommend is to make sure the ol ticker is working good. When that first one walks by and you are ready to commit it will be pounding like never before. :mellow:

lol, just aced my stress test 2 weeks ago.   Funny side note to that.   Very attractive female technician say " take off your shirt" I refrained from saying "is this the game of I show you mine if you show me yours?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

lol, just aced my stress test 2 weeks ago.   Funny side note to that.   Very attractive female technician say " take off your shirt" I refrained from saying "is this the game of I show you mine if you show me yours?"

Good thing you kept your mouth shut...you would have been “metoo’ed” so fast that your bow season would have been over before it started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Wouldn't it be nice if NY state would give those of us who buy regular, bow, and muzzleloading licences, a buck tag for each instead of two buck tags and an "antlerless only" ?             

and yet the 1st thing out of most hunters mouths is one buck rule to improve the herd.. i like it the way it is if the went 1 buck then archery and muzzleloader tag should drop in price to a buck a puece.