Bowtech Carbon Icon. Who has one?

NonTypical

I just bought a new Carbon Icon yesterday.  I'm shooting 29" CE Piledriver arrows @ 70lbs with 100g tips. With field tips, it shoots great. But so far I've shot Montecs and ThunderHeads and its shooting quite a bit to the left. I didn't shoot too much, and I understand that maybe I need to tune it a bit. 

I'm wondering who else is shooting this bow and what arrows and fixed blades are you shooting, before I start spending more money with different combinations. I've been reading up on the Carbon Express Maxima Reds. Supposedly they are a great arrow and really improve broad head flight. I've also been told to try the Slick Tricks and Muzzys, which I will do if I can. I've always believed in a heavy arrow for good kinetic energy, but with this bow the difference between a 500g and a 350g arrow is only about 2 ft/lbs @ 20 yards. 

So who else has an Icon and what's your combination?

Before I spent any money I would spend a day paper tuning, unless you’re under/over spines and it wont tune it’s not a arrow or head issue. I have shot the same gold tip pro hunters out of my last 6 or bows. My new realm shoots them like darts with every head I’ve tried and I don’t shoot mechanical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Before I spent any money I would spend a day paper tuning, unless you’re under/over spined. I have shot the same gold tip pro hunters out of my last 6 or bows. My new realm shoots them like darts with every head I’ve tried and I don’t shoot mechanical.

That is the plan. To spend some time paper tuning before anymore money is spent. Hopefully I can tune the bow to my combo. I’m just looking for feedback on what other people have had success with. 

That is the plan. To spend some time paper tuning before anymore money is spent. Hopefully I can tune the bow to my combo. I’m just looking for feedback on what other people have had success with. 

My draw is 30.5” @70lbs I think I have some pile drivers lying around from my old man I’ll see how they shoot in mine as our setups are pretty similar if I get a chance today.

I don’t know how much you’ve paper tuned a bow, some people don’t believe in it anymore because it can be very difficult for the new fast bows but it’s something I swear by! Don’t get frustrated and if you do set it down and start again tomorrow because it can drive you nuts!!

• Thanks 1

I have the Bowtech Carbon Knight. Basically the same as the Icon I believe. It’s been a good bow but it did require a little tuning in the beginning to get it shooting right. I’m not an expert in bow tuning so I take it to a good bow shop and have the owner go through it and then he’s always went out back with me for 20-30 shots to make sure I was good to go. I know he had to adjust my rest a bit and some other things but if you are having some real trouble getting dialed in it’s always good to have a pro look it over. My guy has found lots of little problems on my bows over the years that saved me a lot of headaches.
My poundage is at 72-73 pounds last I had it at the bow shop. He cranked it out a few pounds over 70 to help compensate for my string stretch. I’ve shot a lot of arrows in this bow so it’s time for a new one but I didn’t want a new string mid season. With the high poundage these bows will seriously zip some arrows in a hurry. I’ve never chronoed it, but you can see it clear as day it’s hauling a**.
I’m flinging the Maxima Blu RZ arrows with 100 grain rage hypos. I’ve killed 5 deer with this combo. It’s a nice treestand bow the way it’s shaped and it’s length, easy to move around at full draw being nice and light. A heavier bow would be much easier to shoot longer ranges, but these light little carbon bows are great for closer range whitetail hunting.
Good luck to you this year with your new Bowtech. Once you get it dialed in you’ll be dropping deer no problem.

I decided to try and paper tune it today. It was pouring out when I got home, so I set up in the basement. I was getting a pretty good nock right tear with the field tips  I thought you were supposed to move the rest to the left, but I had no luck. I called Bowtech and they said to move it to the right. Still no change. Then I tried one my aluminums with feathers, and would you believe it, almost a perfect hole. Then I fletched up one of piledrivers with feathers, and I still had a large tear nock right. Went back to my aluminum one more time to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and sure enough it wasn't. I'm starting to think maybe the Piledriver 350's are the culprit. 

paper tune, then shoot a target with a FP and BH your going to use, move the rest until they both hit the same spot without moving your sight. Now move the sight so they both hit the center of the target. Dont buy into the dual spine BS it is unnecessary. Tune, FOC, arrow spine are much more important. Also you dont need top of the line arrows for hunting, spend that money on a good tune up at the shop or to upgrade something. https://store.elitearchery.com/products/elite-350-arrow-12-pack These are still the best deal on hunting arrows, (if your spine is correct for them). I have to put 50 grain inserts in since im only a 27" draw.

I’m a 29” draw at 70 lbs. those arrows have a deflection of .345. Right on the money on the chart. But the symptoms of a right tear says it might be too stiff. I’m going to try a 125g tip tomorrow and see if it helps. Otherwise I’ll shoot a few other types of carbons and see what it likes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NonTypical said:

I’m a 29” draw at 70 lbs. those arrows have a deflection of .345. Right on the money on the chart. But the symptoms of a right tear says it might be too stiff. I’m going to try a 125g tip tomorrow and see if it helps. Otherwise I’ll shoot a few other types of carbons and see what it likes. 

Don’t worry too much about the tear if your spine is right, I prefer slightly stiff for broadheads. I’d suggest broadheads tuning your rest with bh and fp now and walk back tune. My bow will shoot bullets with a field point, but broadheads will be 8” right. I had to find a happy middle ground where they both hit the same spot on the target.

I finally got some time to mess with it some more. I took off the octane rest and put on a new whisker biscuit. I had to set the rest a bit to the left of center,  but now I have bullet holes in the paper. Checked it with some Montecs and Pile Drivers. They are shooting identical to my field points. 

• Like 1