Fletch's Field Notes 2018

Fletch

Well bow season is coming on fast!! Been shooting the bow for months now. Don't really need much in the line of gear. I am waiting on a new ML to get shipped, my boy "borrowed" my old favorite. So hoping to get that and do some shooting this weekend. We have a ML hunt to NC the first weekend of Oct. to get ready for.

I did get a ladder stand in on some public land this past weekend. Still need to clear some trails. I am a bit behind as I have been training for the Adirondack Ragnar which is in 10 days so once/if I survive that I can focus on hunting.

The trail cams have been pretty disappointing out back. Lots of does, fawns and little bucks but none of the big boys we had last year.

27 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Well bow season is coming on fast!! Been shooting the bow for months now. Don't really need much in the line of gear. I am waiting on a new ML to get shipped, my boy "borrowed" my old favorite. So hoping to get that and do some shooting this weekend. We have a ML hunt to NC the first weekend of Oct. to get ready for.

I did get a ladder stand in on some public land this past weekend. Still need to clear some trails. I am a bit behind as I have been training for the Adirondack Ragnar which is in 10 days so once/if I survive that I can focus on hunting.

The trail cams have been pretty disappointing out back. Lots of does, fawns and little bucks but none of the big boys we had last year.

We are the same with regard to cams, but I remain hopeful that the does will draw the bucks in when they are most vulnerable.  Good luck Fletch.

• 2 weeks later...

Man the days are flying by! Got the ML in and will get it dialed in next weekend. I still have trail clearing to do but I'm thinking that is gonna happen as I hunt lol.

Did get all our doe permits so that is cool. Doubt I'll get much if any bow in until after our NC hunt. And I have 2 Chicago trips in the first 2 weeks of October to boot.

Well here is hoping I survive the run from Saratoga Springs to Lake Placid this weekend!

On 9/11/2018 at 9:21 AM, Fletch said:

what you after in NC - deer / hog hunt?

and yeah same here as you and Moog i guess for trailcams- best i have seen so far is a 6 point.  

• 2 weeks later...

Have not been out with the bow yet. Between being sick and soccer and tennis matches just no time. All packed up and ready to head out to NC tonight. We will be in the stand Friday morning. It is supposed to be unordinary hot so packed light and got lots of Thermocell fuel!!

• Like 1

Well back in NY after a hot NC trip. We cruised down and got at the lodge Thursday afternoon. We hunted potatoes, sweet potatoes, soybean and corn fields in the afternoons and cuts off fields and field edges in the mornings. The temps were about 10-12 degrees hotter than last year and the deer movement was slower. We did not get any good buck sightings. Lots of does and small bucks. My brother and my son each got a doe the first day. My son's was his first while in stand by himself. And the third night my son got another doe by himself. This is the first one that did not drop in it's tracks and required a diligent track job through the mosquito and spider infested woods. She only went 120 yards or so and the shot was on the money but she barely bled. It was a good teaching moment for sure. I passed up more than a couple does waiting for a good buck and the boys got us some meat so I am happy we got some meat in the freezer.

I think Sunday afternoon it was over 95 degrees in my tower blind. It is the hottest I have ever been on stand. I can't wait for 40 degrees Saturday!!

The mosquitoes were insane and without a Thermocell it would be dangerous. I can attest those things work wonderful.

I am on a flight tomorrow to Chicago for the rest of the week so it will be Saturday until I get out for my first bow sit.

10/13 pm. 49

Down in the outer Hole for 3 hours. Saw one yote too far out in the thick. A so so lone doe followed him but she was just a bit outa my comfort zone. About an hour after those I had a small buck 4ish come through behind me. He was mulling around 70 out or so and then a good lone doe came in. They milled around and the doe finally worked in to a small lane and was hung up feeding right before it. I heard a snap behind me and turned my head to look and she snuck across at 30 doh before I looked back. The buck scared her off then worked in and offered a great shot op at 30 but got a pass.

Nice first sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10/14 pm 59

Hit my stand in Howland tonight for 2 hours. It was a bit warm and saw zero deer. Did see a pheasant and listened to him most of the sit. Lots of tracks between my stand and the beans. I will be back here next weekend as it’s to far to hit during the work week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10/15 pm 61

Hunted the far stand out back for a first sit. Weird night. Got really dark off and on. Got rained on. The wind was off and on, just dead quiet for 30 minutes then 10-15 mph wind for 15 minutes back and forth.

About 6:05 had one coming in, looked like a good sized doe. Wind circled and she blew and ran off, scaring another deer comin in off my right. She blew for a bit. The other deer came back in, small deer maybe a button. 15 minutes later the first one starts blowing again way back up the ridge. The little one wanders closer to me and I want to get down. I finally slipped out.

Should be cool in the morn.

10/17 am 48

Out behind the house in the far stand. I had deer around me 5 minutes after I was set up. Had one come by on one side of me and he grunted so a buck but so dark I could not see a thing. Also had one off the other side of me walking. Just after sunrise I had a 3 point cruise by out front. He offered a 34 yard shot in one lane before moseying on. I got out at 9:15 and was busy clearing sticks from the trail that the high wind had blown down on the way in and walked into a deer in the woodlot. I was making noise and not looking for deer. Looked like a good sized doe. Probably not out again until tomorrow afternoon.

10/19 am 35

Out back in the far stand for 2 hours this morning. I had just about got to my stand, maybe 120 yards, when I heard deer. I tried stop and start walking as it did not seem tearing off and slipped closer to my stand. I actually got all the way up and was all still and the stupid deer blew a couple times and took off. Not much going on until I had a snack and then a young buck, a 5 point I think went by out to my right head down and nose to the ground. Only saw him for maybe a minute.

So got out of work and was in the outer hole stand by 4:15 for the last 2 hours. Was a big change in wind from yesterday and quiet. I jumped a good sized deer up top going in. About 40 minutes into the watch i hear and see one come in off to my right in the thick stuff about 40 yards out. I reposition and ding my boot off the side of the stand and she stops dead. After a bit she starts heading right at me. She is 8 yards tops just giving me the stare down for 10 minutes! That never fails to excite trying to stay dead still not even make eye contact for that long! I am not the best size judge on does all alone but I knew she was a doe and not huge but not a fawn. I also was pretty sure she was the same doe that slipped through my lane last week all alone. So for you sensitive types she has gone a week with no fawns!! lol

Anyhows she finally turned and walked away and cut a small window broadside at 21 yards and i gave her a nice shot. She went 50 yards and out of site. I heard her crashing but another deer ran out I could just see so I did not see her fall. If I had I would have I would sat in stand till dark as it felt so good out. Nice double lung at 103 pounds. Already sharpened the Rage for the next victim!

• Like 1