Which hunting weapon and season do you like the best ?

Hunter007

Honestly,  I like bow season, but with my fake arm, I literally hold the bow with the fake arm the entire time, becomes old after a few weeks, due to awkwardness.  Once rifle time comes, its like a big ahhh, and much more comfortable, because at that point, I do not use a prosthetic arm.   Sort of a different view point, lol...

• Like 5

Dead even tie between: 

- Barnett recruit crossbow and Veteran's day +/- 3 days - peak of the whitetail rut in western NY.   

- Scoped Ruger M77 30/06 and the first good snow up in the Adirondacks (usually around Thanksgiving).   

The scenery and lack of hunting pressure up north cancels out the higher deer numbers out west.    

Spring....Hunting gobblers with my 40 year old  Rem 1100   3 inch mag 12...

September...Hunting squirrels with my 1937 Winchester m12  16 gauge...

October..Hunting waterfowl with my 12 gauge Browning Citori..

Nov-Dec...Hunting deer with my Rem m700 Mountain Rifle 7mm08...

Jan-Feb... Hunting bunny rabbits ahead of a pack of beagles with my 20 gauge Ithaca SKB  side by side....

In days gone by, my favorite thing in Sept  was hunting moose, caribou, elk or mule deer in wild and wonderful places on this continent,  but  my budget no longer can afford those hunts, and my body couldn't handle  many of those hunts anymore...Do it yourself wilderness hunts are a young man's game..

• Like 3

I'm still fairly new at deer hunting so it's tough to call a favorite.  I had success with the rifle last season and feel very comfortable with that, but my first experience with the xbow last year opened me up to a whole new hunting experience.  I suspect this will become my favorite as I become more familiar that weapon platform.

• Like 1

Isn't this topic mostly about a hunter evolving, favorite game &/or weapon? Back in my younger (& foolish) days, I'd walk endless miles hoping to flush pheasant, grouse, woodcock, etc. My dad always had a couple beagles, so rabbit hunting with them was fun & enjoyable, even in the snow & cold temps! Also back then I loved hunting deer during reg SZ shotgun season, late Nov/early Dec in cold & snow.  As I've gotten older matured, the snow and cold temps seem to be less tolerable and not a lot of enjoyment vs suffering derived from hunting those conditions. This is when Oct & early Nov bow hunting became more enticing. Always liked bow hunting, but it got way more of a tolerable way to enjoy deer hunting. Needless to say, any bunny & bird hunting has ended for me. Loved turkey hunting when I started in the 1980s, when there were quite a few around where I lived then. Recently live where the turkey population is struggling, so shooting one seems less desirable than allowing them to try and repopulate slowly. Sort of an ethical decision on my part.

As far as a favorite weapon, had always lived in the SZ, so shotguns were SOP. Had them all!, single shot 410/20ga/12ga mag turkey shotgun, over/under 20ga-22 to semi-auto Rem 1100 & Browning LT 12ga Did get a rifle when they were recently allowed in my region. Do carry it, but would rather use my TC Triump BP rifle. Still prefer some sort of the "up close & personal" bow hunting and the addition of a Xbow has become my favorite. Esp with my aging less than toned physic, it is easier for me to enjoy and use successfully.

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1